#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Cubs Trivia:

Which Cubs player led the team in batting average for the 1920s?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

Hack Wilson?
- diehard fanclub member #002

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

Nope.

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

Hack seems like the logical choice. I'll go with Riggs Stephenson and a secondary guess of Kiki Cuyler, not sure if either played with the Cubs enough to qualify, but I know that they both got a lot of hits.

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Riggs Stephenson is correct!

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

I would have guessed Hornsby. .380 in 1929. Maybe didn't play long enough or had a rough 1928 if he was even on the Cubs then.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

I would have guessed Hornsby. .380 in 1929. Maybe didn't play long enough or had a rough 1928 if he was even on the Cubs then.

Looks like Hornsby didn't qualify. He had a .380 AVG over 712 PA.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

Check out that 1929 team offense. 4 regulars with OBPs over .425 (Hornsby, Cuyler, Stephenson and Wilson) and 3 of them with OPS over 1 (plus Cuyler's .970 to go along with 43 steals). I always used to get so bummed out as a kid reading about how they lost to the A's in the World Series that year with Wilson losing the ball in the sun in game 4. Blowing leads in games 4 (especially) and then in game 5.

Also no Hartnett that year. Some crazy Cub arm injury or something. The team might have been epic with him that year as he had one of his best seasons ever in 1930.

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, I just saw that 1929 was only year with the Cubs.

I don't know if this is true, but Cuyler's real name was Hazen Cuyler or something like that. Hornsby supposedly didn't like catching pop ups, and everytime one was hit out to short right, he would turn and yell "Cuy, Cuy!!"). That's the story I heard Brickhouse tell more than once.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I don't know if this is true, but Cuyler's real name was Hazen Cuyler or something like that. Hornsby supposedly didn't like catching pop ups, and everytime one was hit out to short right, he would turn and yell "Cuy, Cuy!!"). That's the story I heard Brickhouse tell more than once.

Nice. I am too young to remember Brickhouse, but the stories I hear about him make me wish I was old enough to have heard him call a few games.

#11 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Nice. I am too young to remember Brickhouse, but the stories I hear about him make me wish I was old enough to have heard him call a few games.

Brickhouse was very good. He never had the fans under his thumb like Harry did, but he was very good.

Another story he used to tell - claimed it was his interview with Hornsby - but he asked him what he thought he would hit today (the pitchers were dominating in the 60's for the most part). Hornsby supposedly replied "somewhere around .280", which surprised Brickhouse until Hornsby added, "but you have to remember, I'm over 80 years old!".

Never had a reason to doubt that, until I saw the Ty Cobb movie (with Tommy Lee Jones) a few years ago. Cobb had the same line in that movie to the same question. So I wonder if either one of them actually ever said it.

#12 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I heard that same quote in the Baseball with Ken Burns documentary (which someone recommended right here in the message boards and glad I took the advice).

Jack Brickhouse - I only remember thinking they'd never find anyone to replace him, and then came Harry!

#13 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

I heard that same quote in the Baseball with Ken Burns documentary (which someone recommended right here in the message boards and glad I took the advice).

Jack Brickhouse - I only remember thinking they'd never find anyone to replace him, and then came Harry!

Tommy, do you remember who the quote was attributed to in that documentary?

#14 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Tommy, do you remember who the quote was attributed to in that documentary?

I can't remember for certain, but I am thinking Ty Cobb.

#15 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

This is going to drive me nuts now. I am going to have to watch fast forward through that show until I find the quote now! The more I think about it, it sure sounds more like something Hornsby would say than Ty Cobb, doesn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).