#1 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

People have said that he is rehabbing, but I am curious as to why we really haven't heard much about it. I have heard that there is a vague timetable, but there doesn't seem to be anything solid. Plus, I haven't heard any God's Wrath or Benevolence about him either. Any idea of how he is doing and when he should be ready?

#2 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

He does all the normal drills with all the other pitchers - at least everyday I've been out there. I haven't seen him throw live batting practice yet, but I did see him throwing on the side this weekend and he looks to be throwing free and easy. I thought he was a little bigger of a guy for some reason. He has a somewhat smaller frame than I realized. He is listed at 6'0 and 190... which looks about accurate.

#3 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Usually, pitchers coming off Tommy John surgery are not 100% at full strength until 20-24 months after the operation (although you can physically pitch 10-12 months afterwards). Vizcaino had surgery on 3/20/12, so, assuming the Cubs are slowly building his arm strength back up and have him on a pitch count limitation for 2013, he should start in the MLB rotation in 2014 if they're going to go that starter route. He's a link...

Jason McLeod, the team's senior vice president of scouting and player development, told MLB.com that Vizcaino's future with the team is in the starting rotation. "He has shown electric stuff with the fastball and his power breaking pitch," McLeod said. "At his age, we want to give him every chance to start." on 2/6/13.

If he excels in his bullpen role, he could see time in September. Even if we are surprisingly competitive and in a division race, I don't think we'll see him up any time sooner.

As for workouts, he threw in ST on 2/14/13
http://www.apimages....7771b56bbdfb393

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

yeah no matter what I doubt we see him in the majors until after the trade deadline and definitely not starting (if he ever does) until 2014. control is the last thing to come back when coming back from the surgery I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few appearances in A ball to start out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).