Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

What are the returns going to be for the Cubs' trades?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Looking into the future is a hard thing to do, but here's what I got... (should roughly be in chronological order)

Matt Garza and Carlos Marmol to Angels for:
OF Kole Calhoun #5 prospect [ETA 2013]
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Hit: 4/5 | Power: 4/4 | Run: 4/4 | Arm: 6/6 | Field: 5/6 | Overall: 4/5
When you draft a senior out of a program like Arizona State, the hope is he’ll move quickly. Calhoun spent his first full season in the California League, then double-jumped to Triple-A in 2012 and made his big league debut. His plus instincts make his tools play up. At the plate, he uses a compact swing to make consistent line-drive contact and fringe-average power. He’s not afraid to work counts and take walks. He doesn’t have great speed, but is a strong baserunner and while he may not have the quickness to play center field every day, he won’t embarrass you there, either. He can play all three outfield spots capably, bringing his cannon for an arm wherever he goes. He has a future in the big leagues. It maybe as a valuable fourth outfielder, but teams will want to get his advanced bat into the lineup once he gets there.

and
3B Luis Jimenez #6 prospect [ETA 2013]
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Hit: 4/4 | Power: 4/5 | Run: 4/4 | Arm: 5/5 | Field: 4/4 | Overall: 4/5
Jimenez has hit his way up to the highest level of the Minors. The 2012 season was no different as he won the organizational batting title while finishing fifth in hits and third in RBIs during his first taste of Triple-A. He’s a free swinger, generating bat speed with his big swing. He’s a good fastball hitter with mostly pull power. He won’t walk much, but he doesn’t strike out much, either. He has good instincts on the bases as well. He’s a fringy defender who can make the routine plays at third and has a solid arm. It’s his bat, though, that will get him to the big leagues.

Alfonso Soriano and Shawn Camp to Phillies for:
LHP Adam Morgan #7 prospect [ETA 2014]
Scouting Grades* (present/future): FB: 6/6 | Curve: 5/5 | Slider: 5/6 | Changeup: 4/6 | Control: 5/6 | Overall: 5/6
Among the more advanced pitching prospects in the Phillies' system, Jonathan Pettibone might have the best feel for pitching, but this lefty from Alabama has a higher ceiling. The lefty topped the system in strikeouts in 2012 (he was third in all of the Minors), while he finished fourth in ERA and fifth in batting average against. He did it with three pitches that have the chance to be above-average. He's shown an ability to beat a team in a number of different ways, depending on what's working for him that outing, sometimes pitching off his fastball, sometimes getting hitters with his slider, others with his changeup. He projects to have above-average control of all of them, giving him the chance to be at least a No. 3 starter, if not more, in the big leagues.
and
RHP Justin De Fratus #14 prospect [ETA 2013]
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 6/6 | Slider: 5/6 | Changeup: 4/5 | Control: 4/5 | Overall: 4/5
Initially a starter when he came out of the junior college ranks, De Fratus made a very smooth transition to life in the bullpen, reaching the big leagues in 2011. He would have likely spent a lot more time there in 2012 if it hadn’t been for an elbow injury, though he did get past it and got some more Major League experience late in the year. De Fratus goes right after hitters aggressively and has three pitches he can use. His fastball is above-average and can touch plus at times and he loves using his above-average slider as an out pitch. He has feel for an average changeup as well, which could give him an extra weapon against left-handed hitters. With his injury in the rearview mirror, he’s ready to contribute in Philly.

Nate Schierholtz to Red Sox for:
C Christian Vasquez #16 prospect [ETA 2015]
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Hit: 3/4 | Power: 3/4 | Run: 2/2 | Arm: 6/6 | Field: 5/6 | Overall: 3/5
Since coming out of the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, Vazquez has established his bona fides as a strong defensive catcher. He's thrown out 35 percent of would-be basestealers thus far in his career, using a solid arm that plays up because of plus release and accuracy. While his glove will always be his calling card, he's not without offensive skills, He showed an ability to tap into raw power in 2011 and he does have the ability to drive the ball a little. He's been streaky with the bat and needs to find a level of consistency, staying with the solid, patient approach he's shown when he hasn't been struggling. If he can do that, the Red Sox believe he still has what it takes to be an everyday guy behind the plate.

David DeJesus and Carlos Villanueva to Giants for:
LHP Eric Surkamp #9 prospect [ETA 2014]
Scouting Grades* (present/future): FB: 4/5 | Curve: 4/5 | Slider: 3/4 | Changeup: 4/4 | Control: 4/5 | Overall: 4/5
Surkamp went from knocking on the door for a full-time spot in the Giants' rotation to being on the shelf for the next year when he underwent Tommy John surgery on July 24. The 25-year-old lefty led all Double-A pitchers in ERA in 2011, while finishing second in strikeouts and batting average against, and he had made strides in Spring Training in '12. Surkamp doesn't throw hard, but he has excellent command and two plus secondary pitches in his curve and changeup. When he was called upon to help out in the big leagues, he had some success and some understandable bumps along the way. He may not have the highest ceiling in the world, but it was pretty clear – before his injury, anyway -- that he has what it takes to be a big league starter.

Scott Feldman to Reds for:
RHP Dan Langfield #18 prospect [ETA 2015]
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 6/7 | Curveball: 5/6 | Changeup: 3/5 | Control: 4/5 | Overall:4/5
Throughout his career at Memphis, Langfield displayed a ton of arm strength and he didn't disappoint during his pro debut. Langfield was up to 97 mph at instructs last fall. He complements the plus fastball with a hard breaking ball, which is kind of a tweener – part hard curve, part slider. He has the chance to have an average changeup in the future. He needs to refine his command and learn to become a more complete pitcher. He has the repertoire to start, but his power stuff could move quickly up the ladder if he moves into a bullpen role.

Darwin Barney, Scott Baker, Scott Hairston, Robert Whitenack, and Dillon Maples to Rays for:
David Price

2014 25-man
LF Kole Calhoun (L)
LF Dave Sappelt
CF Brett Jackson (L)
RF Jorge Soler
1B Anthony Rizzo (L)
2B Javier Baez
3B Luis Jimenez
3B Josh Vitters
SS Starlin Castro
C Welington Castillo
C Dioner Navarro (S)
UT Junior Lake
LF/1B/3B Greg Rohan
SP David Price (L)
SP Jeff Samardzija
SP Arodys Vizcaino
SP Adam Morgan (L)
SP Edwin Jackson
LR Hector Rondon
LR Travis Wood (L)
RP Rafael Dolis
RP Justin De Fratus
SU Trey McNutt
SU James Russell (L)
CL Kyuji Fujikawa

A few of the acquisitions are "projects" that this front office likes, some are for organizational depth, and others are in place to be competitive. The Rangers are high on Olt and I think they are going to give him a chance in their lineup. So, I think with the injuries to the Angels' pitching staff, it becomes their biggest question mark and big trade like the one suggested should satisfy both teams' needs going forward.

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

I don't want to give up too much for Price though. Otherwise, I like it. :D

#3 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

"Darwin Barney, Scott Baker, Scott Hairston, Robert Whitenack, and Dillon Maples to Rays for:
David Price"

Posted Image

#4 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Dont think this package comes close to being enough for Price. No real need for Barney with Zobrist, Roberts and Kelly Johnson all being able to play 2b (and provide something with the bat), Baker will still be working his way back from TJ, and Hairston is nothing more than a platoon OF. The prospects also arent anything to get excited about from the Rays standpoint. If the Brewers could get Segura/Hellweg/Pena for a few months of Grienke, then the Rays can certainly get AT LEAST that much for Price

#5 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Dont think this package comes close to being enough for Price. No real need for Barney with Zobrist, Roberts and Kelly Johnson all being able to play 2b (and provide something with the bat), Baker will still be working his way back from TJ, and Hairston is nothing more than a platoon OF. The prospects also arent anything to get excited about from the Rays standpoint. If the Brewers could get Segura/Hellweg/Pena for a few months of Grienke, then the Rays can certainly get AT LEAST that much for Price

Exactly. A Price package is going to include two of Baez Soler and Almora, no ifs ands or buts about it, as well as a truckload of other prospects

#6 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Price will be a free agent in 2015. He's not going to fetch that much, because it will only be for one year (possiblly 1.5 if the Rays are surprisingly out of the wild card race) of control and on a near-record, high-priced arbitration salary.

Also, I forgot about Tony Zych and Ty'Relle Harris. Both of those guys have legitimate shots to crack the 25 man (especially if Dolis, McNutt, or Fujikawa can't cut it).

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

"Darwin Barney, Scott Baker, Scott Hairston, Robert Whitenack, and Dillon Maples to Rays for:
David Price"

Posted Image

She is probably my favorite right now...

#8 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Price will be a free agent in 2015. He's not going to fetch that much, because it will only be for one year (possiblly 1.5 if the Rays are surprisingly out of the wild card race) of control and on a near-record, high-priced arbitration salary.

Like I said, the Brewers got the Angels' #2, #4, and #10 prospects (according the Keith Law) or #2, #4, and #9 (according to BA) for a few months of Greinke. Anythin far less than that wont be enough for Price

#9 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

That's the big-money Angels' mistake. Refresh my memory, did they make the playoffs that year? Oh, never mind, I know the answer to that... they did not.

So, Almora, Jackson, and Lake would be our equivalent 2,4,9. If we picked up Zobrist's $7.5M option and throw in Barney and McNutt into the package, I think you'd want Price to sign an extension.

LF Calhoun (L)
LF Sappelt
CF Soler
RF Zobrist (S)
1B Rizzo (L)
2B Baez
3B Jimenez
SS Castro
C Castillo
C Navarro (S)
LF/1B Rohan
OF Hairston
3B Vitters
BN Valbuena (L)
SP Price (L)
SP Samardzija
SP Vizcaino
SP Morgan (L)
SP Jackson
LR Rondon
LR Wood (L)
RP De Fratus
RP Harris
SU Russell (L)
SU Zych
CL Fujikawa

Still not bad.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

They gave up three top 10 prospects to the Rays for Garza. Start there, and then think about how much more valuable David Price is than Matt Garza. It should put you somewhere around two of the top 3 prospects the Cubs have going to Tampa, especially considering the dropoff form 3 to 4 in the system.

#11 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

So are you expecting the Rays to change GMs before they trade Price? Value aside, that package looks nothing like what the Rays usually deal for.

#12 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

I just don't feel that the Rays are going to like that deal. Maybe they will, it would be nice. In a perfect world, it would be that much since it is his last year before FA. But I am not sure. I would be careful of the Dodgers upping the bid for Price to the levels of ridiculousness.

#13 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

So, Almora, Jackson, and Lake would be our equivalent 2,4,9. If we picked up Zobrist's $7.5M option and throw in Barney and McNutt into the package, I think you'd want Price to sign an extension.

So the Rays throw in their 3rd best player for Barney and Mcnutt? I dont think thats going to happen either.

Id be happy with Almora, Jackson and Lake for Price if he would sign an extension. Lake and Jackson have a lot of question marks and unless Jackson's swing overhaul actually helps it comes down to a potential above average CF, a 4th OF and a Util guy... Where do I sign? (again if he agrees to an extension)

#14 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

A trade involving David Price, probably starts with Albert Almora; is most likely followed by Junior Lake and a young, MLB-ready talent(Jackson/Vizcaino-ish); and must include the Cubs best pitching prospect(whomever that is).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).