hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

On what date did the Cubs come back from a franchise-record deficit to defeat the Houston Astros? What was the deficit and final score?

#2 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

I remember watching that game. I wonder why I wasn't working - it was a day game at Wrigley. They kept showing some fan was holding up a (revised) card that showed how many more runs they needed...

It was a 9 run deficit they overcame and they won the division that year. It couldn't have been 84, so it must have been 1989. Score was... don't remember, so I'll guess 12-11.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I remember watching that game. I wonder why I wasn't working - it was a day game at Wrigley. They kept showing some fan was holding up a (revised) card that showed how many more runs they needed...

It was a 9 run deficit they overcame and they won the division that year. It couldn't have been 84, so it must have been 1989. Score was... don't remember, so I'll guess 12-11.

Jesus H. Crimeny Jones - 9 runs is correct, 1989 is correct.

Score was wrong therefore:

LOSER!!!! DO NOT PASS GO!

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Maybe I am new to the game, but should I be more impressed that Spriggs knows everything or if he ever doesn't know something?

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Was it really 89? I remember that game, too. Wasn't it 9-1 at one point before they pulled out a 10-9 victory?

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I was thinking it was 9-0. I was assuming the Astros scored another run or two. Maybe not? Doesn't seem liek there were a lot of homers that game. Just a lot of hits. I think either Walton or Dwight Smith knocked in the winning run.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Was it really 89? I remember that game, too. Wasn't it 9-1 at one point before they pulled out a 10-9 victory?

10-9 is correct. The calendar states the deficit was 9 runs on August 29, 1989.

Here is the box score: http://www.baseball-...198908290.shtml

After 5 it was 9-0, then the Cubs scored 2 in the 6th, 3 in the 7th and 4 in the 8th to tie it. In the 10th Dave Smith singled in Jerome Walton on a bases loaded hit to RF.

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I was thinking it was 9-0. I was assuming the Astros scored another run or two. Maybe not? Doesn't seem liek there were a lot of homers that game. Just a lot of hits. I think either Walton or Dwight Smith knocked in the winning run.

It scares me how much knowledge you have of the Cubs.

Thanks to TWC for reminding me on Twitter that I had to do this today...thanks to Spriggs for getting the question 2/3rds correct. Thanks to my employer for giving me internet to use at work. Thank you to my Secret Santa for giving me the calendar. Thank you to all the little people...

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

It scares me how much knowledge you have of the Cubs.

Thanks to TWC for reminding me on Twitter that I had to do this today...thanks to Spriggs for getting the question 2/3rds correct. Thanks to my employer for giving me internet to use at work. Thank you to my Secret Santa for giving me the calendar. Thank you to all the little people...

Nicely done, Hans! Phil could be the new Wally Pipp!

#10 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

After 5 it was 9-0, then the Cubs scored 2 in the 6th, 3 in the 7th and 4 in the 8th to tie it. In the 10th Dave Smith singled in Jerome Walton on a bases loaded hit to RF.

Walton and Smith had nice rookie seasons that year. I was sky high on those two guys.

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Walton and Smith had nice rookie seasons that year. I was sky high on those two guys.

Joe would only have to do it for another 2,129 more days.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

That box score is a trip. Tuesday afternoon, probably the first week of school, eighth grade, which means I would have gotten home in PERFECT TIME to see innings 6-10.

Also: wow, Rafael Ramirez -- 3-for-5 w/ 7 RBIs? Dang.

#13 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

There was another game that I remember... similar time frame, maybe a year or two earlier... Cubs came back from another big defect, but ended up losing 14-13 or something. Guess I'll troll through B-R.com for a while at work....

#14 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Joe would only have to do it for another 2,129 more days.

haha!! Yep!

#15 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

What was the deficit a couple years ago in May when the Cubs beat the Rockies? I wanna say it was May 30 or 31 but I can't remember the year. Like 7 or 8?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).