Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

Everybody has been saying that the Cubs shouldn't get Fielder (or Pujols) this offseason and let Bryan LaHair play 1st base next year and pursue pitching in free agency. But with such a weak pitching class in free agency is it really worth it? I don't know about you but I don't think that overbidding on one of the 30+ year old journeyman pitchers is the best approach. This offseason the Cubs have the ability to add one of the best hitters in the game this offseason. We have needed a left-handed power bat for a very long time and now we finally have the opportunity to go out and get the best left-handed power hitter in the game. I'm not saying that by adding Fielder the Cubs will be able to compete next year, but I think that adding him will help the Cubs compete in 2013 and further on down the road. Why waste money on an aging pitcher that may or may not be able to help the Cubs when we can spend money on Prince Fielder, who will definitely be able to help the Cubs for many years to come. And before you start saying what about Bryan LaHair, he should get a chance to start in 2012, he used to play LF in the Mariners and for a brief time in the Cubs farm system(s) before moving to 1st. If/When the Cubs trade Soriano they should consider moving LaHair to left, if nothing else he will definitely be a defensive upgrade from Soriano. Not to mention the addition of Fielder would make our lineup pretty damn good.

1. Brett Jackson CF
2. Darwin Barney 2B
3. Starlin Castro SS
4. Prince Fielder 1B
5. Bryan LaHair LF
6. Geovany Soto C
7.Tyler Colvin/Marlon Byrd RF
8. DJ LeMaheiu/TBD 3B

Now I don't know about you but I could live with that lineup for 2012.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

I've been a supporter of Fielder to Chicago all year but there are some serious concerns
1-the length and price of his contract, if he insist on more than 6 years it's not worth it, and anything more than 25M a year is too much. Ideally a 5/100M contract with club options for year 6&7 (that have auto vesting performance goals) would be ideal but I think he expects a 6/150M contract and that might be too much.

2-Concerns over health and longevity. My concern is how he will do outdoors and in daytime games.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

Length of contract is my big hang up as well. I'd even be OK with 5/125M, as long as it doesn't go over 5 years. I would much rather the purse Prince than Pujols.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

If we had a Yankee budget then I could see pursuing Prince....but we do not...and with so many holes to fill, First base is not a good place to lock up money...I am thinking that the new regime will save free agent money for guys that play up the middle, and not on the corners...

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

Not to mention the fact that Fielder might not be too crazy about coming to a team with no pitching, defense, or - most importantly - protection in the lineup.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

Not to mention the fact that Fielder might not be too crazy about coming to a team with no pitching, defense, or - most importantly - protection in the lineup.

For the same reasons he could want the job because he would/could be the face of the new Cubs. If the Cubs win a WS with him, he would be immortal. I see this delemia as a question each FA would consider in the next few years.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

In one of Theo's first interviews he hinted at wanting to spend the big money "up the middle" so I don't see him going after Prince.

That being said, I wonder if he would if Prince would except a five year deal. I'm guessing most of us agree that a crazy 8 year deal for anybody (especially an aging left-fielder)...is not a good idea.

I will be curious to see if they make a play at Yu Darvish. I know the Red Sox opened up a huge market in Japan when they signed Daisuke. However, that signing is not looking so good right now.

#8 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

1. Brett Jackson CF
2. Darwin Barney 2B
3. Starlin Castro SS
4. Prince Fielder 1B
5. Bryan LaHair LF
6. Geovany Soto C
8. DJ LeMaheiu/TBD 3B

Why the hell would you bat Starlin 3rd?
Did you not see how that worked out when Quade tried it?
Keep him 1st or 2nd.

By the way no way to Prince to much money and to many year's for another DH(Soriano).

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

By the way no way to Prince to much money and to many year's for another DH(Soriano).

This is why the NL needs the DH - too many times NL teams either have to accept they will have an albatross in a few years or wont pursue a guy because in a few years he will need to be a DH.

Not saying I like it but saying it just needs to happen...

#10 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

This is why the NL needs the DH - too many times NL teams either have to accept they will have an albatross in a few years or wont pursue a guy because in a few years he will need to be a DH.

Not saying I like it but saying it just needs to happen...

As much as I despise the whole DH concept (and have since it first reared it's ugly head), I am starting to come around to your point of view.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#11 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

1. Brett Jackson CF
2. Darwin Barney 2B
3. Starlin Castro SS
4. Prince Fielder 1B
5. Bryan LaHair LF
6. Geovany Soto C
8. DJ LeMaheiu/TBD 3B

Keep him 1st or 2nd.

I would put Castro 3rd because unlike this past season when Quade put him 3rd there will be protection in the lineup. And by that I mean he will see a lot more hitable pitches with a hitter like Prince Fielder batting behind him.

#12 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

1. Brett Jackson CF
2. Darwin Barney 2B
3. Starlin Castro SS
4. Prince Fielder 1B
5. Bryan LaHair LF
6. Geovany Soto C
8. DJ LeMaheiu/TBD 3B

Keep him 1st or 2nd.

I would put Castro 3rd because unlike this past season when Quade put him 3rd there will be protection in the lineup. And by that I mean he will see a lot more hitable pitches with a hitter like Prince Fielder batting behind him.

Castro should bat 1st or 2nd until he shows more power and takes more walks.
I don't think Jackson should be thrown into the leadoff role as soon as he comes up, put him 7th or 8th so there's not much pressure.

#13 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

I'd rather take a pass on Fielder and put the money saved into next year's draft and international rookie signings to bolster the farm. Then you take a run at some of the talented SP's that will be FA's after 2012 like Matt Cain, Dan Haren, Zack Greinke, and James Shields just to name a few. Fielder is a monster bat but his D is poor and not getting any better and there is no protection for him in the lineup to make the kind of immediate impact needed to put the Cubs into the playoffs in 2012.

#14 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

But he will give us a solid core to build around for years to come

#15 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

1. Brett Jackson CF
2. Darwin Barney 2B
3. Starlin Castro SS
4. Prince Fielder 1B
5. Bryan LaHair LF
6. Geovany Soto C
8. DJ LeMaheiu/TBD 3B

Keep him 1st or 2nd.

I wonder if Starlin would really see better pitches. I mean it doesn't matter who is hitting behind him if the pitcher knows he swings at everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).