2. Darwin Barney 2B
3. Starlin Castro SS
4. Prince Fielder 1B
5. Bryan LaHair LF
6. Geovany Soto C
7.Tyler Colvin/Marlon Byrd RF
8. DJ LeMaheiu/TBD 3B

Why the hell would you bat Starlin 3rd?
Did you not see how that worked out when Quade tried it?
Keep him 1st or 2nd.

By the way no way to Prince to much money and to many year's for another DH(Soriano).

I would put Castro 3rd because unlike this past season when Quade put him 3rd there will be protection in the lineup. And by that I mean he will see a lot more hitable pitches with a hitter like Prince Fielder batting behind him.

I wonder if Starlin would really see better pitches. I mean it doesn't matter who is hitting behind him if the pitcher knows he swings at everything.

Starlin is almost cursed by his ability to make contact with such a wide variety and range of pitches. It's hard to lay off pitches you know you can hit, even if they aren't in your wheel house. Josh Vitters has the same "problem."

#17 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

Length of contract is my big hang up as well. I'd even be OK with 5/125M, as long as it doesn't go over 5 years. I would much rather the purse Prince than Pujols.

To be honest I would be okay with a huge deal for Prince Fielder. At the moment
it looks like the Cubs have prospects in almost every position who are ready to step up and get a chance to play. Not only will Prince bring a big bat to the lineup but he will also bring a new attitude to the clubhouse. Yesterday in Dale Sveum's press conference he was asked about Fielder and what he said made me realize how large of an impact he could have on the team, Sveum said. "(He's) one of my favorite people I've ever coached. And the way he competes and plays the game hard as he does every night, you wish you had 25 Prince Fielders. The leadership he brings by the way he plays is unmatched by anyone in baseball." He will bring a truly competitive winning attitude into a Cubs clubhouse which has become used to losing. Having the right attitude and a solid work ethic in the clubhouse can make all the difference. Especially when that clubhouse is really lacking strong veteran leadership.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#18 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

I think you need to look at and try to pursue Prince. 5 or 6 years are probably the longest I would sign him for. Castro has the tools to become a great hitter in the 3 hole. It looks like a good lineup to me.

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#19 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

I know Fielder has red flags and shortcomings, but his bat is pretty undeniable. The Cubs haven't had a consistent lefty power bat in so long that my memory fails to remember any. I still think that even if his defense and/or body break down to the point he becomes detrimental to the team, he still would have some decent trade value to any AL team looking for a DH. I am weary of having him playing with Starlin Castro every day, but maybe the bigger target will help Castro accuracy.

#20 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I know Fielder has red flags and shortcomings, but his bat is pretty undeniable. The Cubs haven't had a consistent lefty power bat in so long that my memory fails to remember any. I still think that even if his defense and/or body break down to the point he becomes detrimental to the team, he still would have some decent trade value to any AL team looking for a DH. I am weary of having him playing with Starlin Castro every day, but maybe the bigger target will help Castro accuracy.

Completely agreed if he can be had for 6 years he's worth the risk.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).