Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

This may not be the best place to ask since several of you are in the league but, here it goes anyway.

My dilemma is my 5 keepers. I am planning on keeping Miggy, Encarnacion, Brandon Philips and Samardzija. The last spot is the one I’m having problems with. I am trying to decide between Josh Willingham, Lonnie Chisenhall & Travis d’Arnaud.

Any thoughts?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Off the top of my head, I'd keep d'Arnaud.

But I'm probably the worst person to ask and I have a similar problem.

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Willingham is obviously the most established, but I don't think he'll duplicate the crazy season he had last year. d'Arnaud hasn't played since June and I doubt very much he'll open the season at the MLB level. Chisenhall is probably going to make the Indians, but I feel like you could find a better 3B in the draft.

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

My problem with him is that it's rare that a hyped rooke catcher actually puts solid season together right away. Josh Willingham would be the safest option, but he is the oldest and plays OF.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Willingham is obviously the most established, but I don't think he'll duplicate the crazy season he had last year. d'Arnaud hasn't played since June and I doubt very much he'll open the season at the MLB level. Chisenhall is probably going to make the Indians, but I feel like you could find a better 3B in the draft.

I agree on all points. Chisenhall I have ranked as the lowest of the 3. I am presuming d'Arnaud will start in AAA because of his injury last year, but only for a couple of months if he is raking.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

My problem with him is that it's rare that a hyped rooke catcher actually puts solid season together right away. Josh Willingham would be the safest option, but he is the oldest and plays OF.

d'Arnaud has a bit of injury history too that you have to take into account. If I were you, I would think about keeping Adam Eaton. With both Upton and Young gone, he's got a good chance to win a job out of spring training.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

d'Arnaud has a bit of injury history too that you have to take into account. If I were you, I would think about keeping Adam Eaton. With both Upton and Young gone, he's got a good chance to win a job out of spring training.

Dangit, now you have me thinking. That spreadsheet SirCub (I think) put together shows his Bill James projections as being a keeper.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I think that was my spreadsheet, but I'm glad you're getting use out of it! Also, a word of caution, Bill James' projections are usually very optimistic.

Also, I personally prefer d'Arnoud, but he is a real injury risk, and probably wont start until june. Eaton is probably my second choice, he should be very solid this year. He wont be great, and he'll probably never be more than a fringe-keeper, but he's probably better than your other options. d'Arnoud is possibly the better long-term lay, and while he may eventually be a top-8 catcher or so, those guys are rarely good enough to keep either..

I know you're not soliciting trade offers here, but I have Brett Lawrie who is young, in a fantastic offense in a hitters park, and plays at a premium position in 3B. Even though you don't need a 3B, he should have significant trade value. Austin Jackson is also available if you want a proven outfielder in a great offense and weak division.

#9 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

I think you need another pitcher. You're in luck, as I happen to have a few extra. Send me a pick and I'll give you the Fister.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#10 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I think you need another pitcher. You're in luck, as I happen to have a few extra. Send me a pick and I'll give you the Fister.

I need my picks more than I need a Fister.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

I think that was my spreadsheet, but I'm glad you're getting use out of it! Also, a word of caution, Bill James' projections are usually very optimistic.

Also, I personally prefer d'Arnoud, but he is a real injury risk, and probably wont start until june. Eaton is probably my second choice, he should be very solid this year. He wont be great, and he'll probably never be more than a fringe-keeper, but he's probably better than your other options. d'Arnoud is possibly the better long-term lay, and while he may eventually be a top-8 catcher or so, those guys are rarely good enough to keep either..

I know you're not soliciting trade offers here, but I have Brett Lawrie who is young, in a fantastic offense in a hitters park, and plays at a premium position in 3B. Even though you don't need a 3B, he should have significant trade value. Austin Jackson is also available if you want a proven outfielder in a great offense and weak division.

Yes, that is your spreadsheet.

I have probably settled on Eaton. He should produce now & will be hitting lead-off.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I need my picks more than I need a Fister.

I know some women of ill repute who could take care of that for you for $200

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).