Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

I started this series a while back, then kinda got distracted by all the Theo stuff(like the rest of the planet), but I have been getting much pressure(none actually) to finish up the 25 man roster. If you missed reading about the team members the first time, you can always go back in the BN archives(shameless plug) and check them out(shameless selfish plug). Seriously though, here is the gist of the idea, with the current roster:

crype(adj,noun)- 1. A once hyped Chicago Cubs prospect who turns out to be crap as a player(crappy abilities). 2. A once hyped Chicago Cubs prospect whose career turns out to be crap. 3. A Chicago Cub prospect who turns out to be crap in relation to his draft status and the players drafted after him.

CHICAGO CUBS ALL-TIME CRYPE TEAM

PITCHERS(7)- Herman Segelke, Rick James, Bobby Brownlie, Mark Pawelek, Ben Christenson , Lance Dickson, Drew Hall

INFIELDERS(5)- Ty Griffen, Gary Scott, Bobby Hill, Hee-Seop Choi, Luis Montanez

OUTFIELDERS(4)- Earl Cunningham, Ryan Harvey, Darrin Jackson, Brooks Kieschnick

CATCHER(1)- Bill Hayes

NOW FOR THE NEWEST ADDITION, LET ME TAKE YOU BACK TO THE "SUMMER OF LOVE"- 1967, WHEN THE CUBS HAD THE SECOND PICK IN THE DRAFT, AND IN TYPICAL CUB FASHION, THEY MADE AN AWFUL PICK.

TERRY HUGHES-SS 1967 1ST ROUND 2ND PICK OVERALL

I have always wondered why 1967 is called the "Summer of Love". I think "Summer of Drugs" would be more appropriate, or "Summer of Weird Naked Hippies". It was in June of 1967 that the Beatles would release Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (which they were heavily drug induced while recording), and maybe Cub G.M. John Holland was heavily drug induced when it came to drafting that year.(Or maybe he was looking for all of the "Paul is Dead" clues on the album)

In 1966 the Cubs had a (yikes!) 59-103 record. They were rewarded with the 2nd pick of the 1967 draft, and took SS Terry Hughes(what you never heard of him? and you call yourself a Cub fan!) Mr. Hughes ended up having a 54 game major league career, most with the Boston Red Sox. See that Sawks Fans! Terry Hughes was your pre-compensation for Theo Epstein, who actually hadn't been born yet. (I hadn't been born yet either, but I was getting awfully close to conception!)

Terry Hughes ended his career with 18 hits in 86 AB's(.209) with one homer and 7 RBI's. To be fair '67 wasn't a great draft(the legendary initial DH Ron Blomberg went first) but there were some pretty decent players drafted after Terry Hughes. By using new SabreStats with these player's old numbers we can place a modern value on them. It is kind of like converting old albums to CD(maybe not as fun, and probably a little dorkier). So here are some players drafted in '67 with their career WAR numbers: Bobby Grich 2B 67.6, Ted Simmons C 50.4, Vida Blue P 42.9, Davey Lopes 2B, OF 39.3, Dusty Baker(Hey!) 34.8, Jerry Reuss P 33, Don Baylor OF 29.0( wow, another future Cub manager and a future stud in RBI Baseball!)

Now I must admit, I know what WAR means, but I have no freaking idea how to calculate it. I do know that higher numbers are good, and since Terry Hughes career WAR was -0.4, he would have to be seen as a big piece of Cub crype.

#2 FratRat

FratRat

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:@rcpikeboy

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Just think if they'd drafted Vida Blue. The A's may never have reached their phase of dominance and maybe, just maybe, we would all have been spared M.C. Hammer...........

#3 Coach Harris

Coach Harris

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

Damn right!

Don Baylor was awesome...in RBI baseball.

Boston had a loaded lineup.

Burks (subbed in for Marty Barrett), Buckner, Boggs, Rice, Baylor, Evans, Gedman, Armas 43 HRs (subbed in for Spike Owen) rounded out the 8th spot.

Then you could start Roger Clemens...who was nasty. I am pretty sure that Clemens and Gooden were identically programmed.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

That career WAR number for Grich sounds really high for a guy who only kind gets people saying, "hey, that Grich guy should be in the Hall."

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

He played in an era where he was only one of few 2b with power

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

He played in an era where he was only one of few 2b with power

Or WAR is stupid.

But it's probably what you said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).