jtlcubs23

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@jtlcubs23
  • Facebook:james thomas

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I heard you guys mention on the podcast that Darwin Barney might be gone soon, and that we might see Robinson Cano in a Cubs uniform. This baffles me... I mean, don't get me wrong, Cano is the best second baseman in the league, but he is going to command at least 5 years and 100 million dollars, not to mention he is going to be 30 next season. Also, you seem to be very down on Darwin Barney, and you're probably assuming I'm a crazy dumb Cubs fan that likes the gritty guys. I'm not, I have like what we got for Campana, I didn't see him helping the Cubs this year. I thought Theriot and Fontenot should have been utility guys, not starters. I don't care for the "feel good" stories. I just want the Cubs to win. Winning is something Darwin Barney has done throughout his baseball career, he won in high school and he has 2 collegiate national championships. He is a smart guy, and he's made adjustments every year. He moved from short to second, and in his second full season, he won a gold glove. I see him making and adjustment and improving his OBP. The coaching staff have him taking pitches and rather than making so much contact (weak contact), they're having him sacrifice some contact to pull the ball and hit it hard. If the Cubs traded Barney, do you really see them getting much for him? He's a valuable guy, that is under team control and won't command a large salary. He's excellent in the clubhouse from what I hear as well. I can see if his value is high, and they traded him in the case where Baez needs to stay at short and move Castro to second, but to just deal him to make room for an aging over priced veteran, seems silly.

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

The Yankees made a "significant offer" to Cano today. Looks like they'll do whatever possible to keep him. 2nd basemen haven't aged very well recently (Uggla, Utley come to mind) so I am pretty "meh" on him. Cubs have plenty of guys in Logan Watkins, GIosker Amaya, Baez, Lake, etc. who project to be serviceable regulars

source (amonst many others including): http://newyork.yanke...ws_nyy&c_id=nyy

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Cano is the best 2B in the game by leaps and bounds. If we can get him for 5/$100 I think you do that in a heartbeat. If Jackson becomes the player we hope he can be and we can get a good LF we would be a dang good team next year.

"Knowing how to win" doesn't mean much. High OBP and SLG make more of a difference.

#4 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

You have to try and read between the lines on this... he "says" it's not about the money, but he's a Boras client. The reported offer was 7 years $171M. The Yankees' roster is aging and their farm system is over-hyped.

Ichiro will be 40 soon
Derek Jeter will be 40 next year ($8M player option w/$3M buyout)
Phil Hughes has a bulging disc in his back (FA in '14)
AROID
No catcher
No DH
Brett Gardner (FA in '14)
Curtis Granderson (FA in '14)
Rivera retiring
Pettite is 42 (FA in '14/retirement?)
Aardsma (FA in '14)
Chamberlain (FA in '14/wants to start)
Texeira says he's not worth his contract
Robertson (FA in '15)
Youkilis (FA in '14)

Nova and Sabathia are the only ones with any worth that are staying around for any long period of time.

Now, think about all of that if you're Cano. 2013 is probably the best shot the Yankees have to make the postseason in awhile. He said he just wants to focus on 2013; very accurate statement with his best interest in hovering in there in the background.

---------------PS--------------------
Don't get me wrong, the Yankees will always reload with free agents like they always do, but they're fighting against the luxury tax, and may have to be smart about their money this upcoming off season.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

It really seems like the Yankees are trying to be cheaper than they used to be. I know that honestly isn't really saying much, but it is an improvement. Besides, it really is the Dodgers that we would have to worry about in terms of throwing money when dealing with Cano.

#6 jtlcubs23

jtlcubs23

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@jtlcubs23
  • Facebook:james thomas

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I know Cano is the best 2nd baseman in the game NOW, but I don't think he makes the Cubs a contender next year. Their rotation isn't bad, but it's not a World Series rotation, and it might be without Garza next year. I just don't see why the hosts of the podcast think it's so necessary that the Cubs trade Barney. I really don't think they'll get fair value from a team in a trade. They might get similar value from dealing an unproven prospect like Logan Watkins. Barney's never going to be a power guy, but if he can continue to hit 5 to 7 HR a year, raise his OBP and continue his excellent defense, I think Barney is a bargain. In years to come he'll be a veteran leader in the clubhouse along with Rizzo, Castro and Samardzija.

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

yo barney went from 2 to 7 homeruns so if he keeps this pace up he should hit 20+ this season

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

I do believe that Barney is by far more valuable to us than to any other team. I think we should stick with him.

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

I do believe that Barney is by far more valuable to us than to any other team. I think we should stick with him.

If we have a shot at Cano at a reasonable contract, I'd be fine with Barney becoming the bullpen catcher. The problem is that Cano won't come at a reasonable contract.

#10 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

If we have a shot at Cano at a reasonable contract, I'd be fine with Barney becoming the bullpen catcher. The problem is that Cano won't come at a reasonable contract.

I agree. I believe that the Dodgers would play a big part in that.

#11 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

You know, just because you might spend a lot of money, doesn't guarantee you make the playoffs. A la, Dodgers and Angels last year.

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

You know, just because you might spend a lot of money, doesn't guarantee you make the playoffs. A la, Dodgers and Angels last year.

It sure doesn't hurt, A la, Yankees (who have been REALLY good at acquiring minor league talent and flipping it into the big name studs).

#13 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

The Yankees are very unlikely to allow Cano to reach free-agency. Let's be realistic.

#14 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

It was just reported that contract talks / extension talks are off for the rest of the season (like Pujols in '11).

Cano will reach free agency in 2014.

#15 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

It was just reported that contract talks / extension talks are off for the rest of the season (like Pujols in '11).

Cano will reach free agency in 2014.

Or could be like Flacco where Cano is going to catch fire at the right time, which he would use in contract leverage. I know football and baseball are different in contract negotiations, but still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).