King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

It was just reported that contract talks / extension talks are off for the rest of the season (like Pujols in '11).

Cano will reach free agency in 2014.

If Cano reaches free agency, it means that the Yankees offer of 7 years and 170 million wasn't good enough. Which means that the reports that he's looking for a 10 year contract similar to what Pujols got isn't as far fetched as we were lead to believe. I'm sure the Dodgers, or some other desperate to win now team will be willing to indulge him, but I can't see the Cubs being willing to give that many years/dollars to a guy in his 30's.

#17 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

It was just reported that contract talks / extension talks are off for the rest of the season (like Pujols in '11).

In all likelihood, the Yankees will re-sign Cano. But let's say they don't. Why would the Cubs want to saddle themselves with a long-term, expensive contract, over the course of a player's declining years? Isn't that exactly what the Cubs' new administration is looking to avoid doing?

Whoever signs Cano, they'll be paying him a ridiculous amount of money based on what he was, rather than what he will be.

#18 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

In all likelihood, the Yankees will re-sign Cano. But let's say they don't. Why would the Cubs want to saddle themselves with a long-term, expensive contract, over the course of a player's declining years? Isn't that exactly what the Cubs' new administration is looking to avoid doing?

Whoever signs Cano, they'll be paying him a ridiculous amount of money based on what he was, rather than what he will be.

Exactly!
Please don't feed the psychos.

#19 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Part of the reason why I don't want Cano. Just too expensive. Would really defeat the purpose of the Cubs rebuilding since he would eat up a huge amount of the salary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).