12 replies to this topic

#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

I can only imagine how excited those kids must be, seeing the changes going on this organization. They must really be pumped!
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Just moving this to the Minor Leagues/Prospects forum, in case the discussion grows in that direction.

#3 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

the ones who cant take a walk are probably pissed

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

I've gotta believe that any kids who felt rubbed the wrong way by Hendry signing them after he'd been fired are feeling pretty good right now.

(horrible sentence...)

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

I've gotta believe that any kids who felt rubbed the wrong way by Hendry signing them after he'd been fired are feeling pretty good right now. (horrible sentence...)

Its ok Brett, you are in the Trust Tree here...let us know what that bad man did to you.

#6 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

I've gotta believe that any kids who felt rubbed the wrong way by Hendry signing them after he'd been fired are feeling pretty good right now.

(horrible sentence...)

Wasn't it the Maples kid that actually said something about that. Anyway they sould be pretty excited or real nervous if they want to stay in the Cubs system. I think there is going to be a lot of movement in and out while they try to build this thing.

#7 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

That's what I was thinking too, Ron. It will be interesting to watch the minor league rosters next year.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Good points. We might see a bunch of kids that we've long thought of as good prospects released or dealt away for nothing. I guess we'll have to remember this conversation when we feel the urge to scream in anger.

#9 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

It will be interesting to see how some of these 2nd generation players pan out. The one that intrigues me is that Gretzky kid.

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

It will be interesting to see how some of these 2nd generation players pan out. The one that intrigues me is that Gretzky kid.

"Dunston with a diving catch in center field! He fires it in to Lockhart who wheels and throws to Gretzky at first, and they got him! Double play!"

Something like that. The odds are, obviously, slim.

#11 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Yeah but if Junior has his old man's arm, He may not need to throw to Lockhart. Just kidding. Yeah it is slim but they have great tutors at home.

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#12 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

I always worry about the sons of profesional athletes and high school or college coaches because they are often better prepared and developed than their peers, and thus may already be close to their ceilings. But Prince Fielder and Ken Griffey Jr. have done alright.

I'm very excited about the 2011 draft - we got the #8 SS prospect and the best overall bat (Baez), the #10 1B prospect and best power hitter (Vogelbach), one of the best high school pitchers (Maples) and perhaps our 2B of the future (DeVoss) as well as several other promising prospects. Our recently-acquired foreign prospects include Candelario and Marc Malave, and we're in hot pursuit of Cespedes and Soler.

I'm also excited about the 2012 draft, with the #6 overall pick and two picks in the first supplemental round.

We also have some of the best scouts in the business and an owner who believes in building through the farm system.

#13 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

I am excited about the name prospects from 2011, but I am also excited about some guys who had little fanfare from this draft. Arturo Maltos-Garcia and Austin Urban are two guys with high upside. Garcia had TJS surgery in June last year and there was question if he would sign. He did early and was kind of forgotten. He was 18-2 including a simply awesome 11-0 record and 1.27 earned-run average during the 2011 season. Some predicted he would have been drafted in top 10 rounds before injury. He was drafted in 30th

Austin Urban was drafted late because of sign ability issues. He was drafted in the 41st round because he was thought to go to Penn State. Anyway he has a fastball that sits in low 90s and a delivery like Jared Weaver. So some think he won't be able to hack it as a starter. At any rate I like the signing. I will be excited to see what these two arms can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).