12 replies to this topic

#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:22 AM

I am really starting to warm up to the idea of Mike Maddux as a managerial candidate. I would really like to see the Cubs emphasize pitching, so this could make sense.

What do you folks think?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

In Theo I trust.

I have no idea what really makes a great manager, especially when it comes to winning a World Series. When you look over the last 20 year winning managers you see some impressive names (Torre, Leyland, Francona, Cox, La **cough cough** Russa). But the question for me has always been: Are these teams winning because of their managers OR are the manager winning because of their team?

I expect its a combination of the both expect in the case of the Cardinals (RAGE BUILDING) who obviously sold Theriot's soul for a WS championship. I believe Theo will find a manager that shares his and Jed's plan and will work in unison with the front office.

So to answer you question about Mike Maddux... I have no idea. In Theo I trust.

TRUST ME BITCHES

Posted Image

yes sir

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

Although it's "WAY-TOO-EARLY," Maddux is my favorite right now. He was highly regarded in Milwaukee, and I think it's no coincidence that, soon after smart-guy Jon Daniels started calling the shots in Texas, he snatched up Maddux. You wonder if the pitching coach success would translate to managerial success, or if you'd be losing the value of him as a pitching coach. But it's worth the risk - and, presumably, he'd pick a pitching coach with whom he agreed on approach.

#4 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

I really like what he has done in Texas as the pitching coach. IF he could have that kind of impact on our staff by becoming the next Cubs manager....I am ALL IN!!!!

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

I've gotta say, I'm really keen on having a manager who knows how to treat his pitching staff.
*cough*cough*Quade*cough*cough*

#6 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

Like you said it's hard to say what makes a good manager. It's easy to look at a guy and say he's a bad manager or a good manager, but it's tough to say what makes them good other than winning games. As for Mike Maddux, don't really know a whole lot about him, but if Theo wants him, I want him. Plus the Cubs are not the only team interested which wasn't the case with Q-ball, so that has me optimistic about him. Still early on in this whole process, but I trust Theo and his judgment.

#7 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

God, Theo is a pimp. That pic you posted, Goat, just makes me a bit woozy every time I see it.

Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#8 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

In Theo I trust.

TRUST ME BITCHES

Posted Image

yes sir

Posted Image
Thesus

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#9 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

*woozy*. Thanks Sam!

As for Mike Maddux, I've really warmed up to him too. He's at the top of my list, for sure. I'll be curious how his post interview press conference will go. These are exciting times!
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#10 The Underdog

The Underdog

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

All you can really say is that Maddux has been successful in the position he's been in. Would the step up from pitching coach to manager be too much? Who knows. We have to trust the interview process is holistic enough that if he has the qualities they'll come through. I'm happy with a guy who's clearly been this good in his particular coaching discipline, plus he's a Maddux.

#11 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

In my limited knowledge of the situation, I like Maddux over all of the other candidates simply because he's a pitching coach, and arguably the best out there right now. Similar to a football team specifically wanting a Defensive coach for head coach. After last year, I believe having someone who can manage the pitching staff is most important. And I don't care what his name is. I don't care if his brother is influenced by his decision. That's all background smoke filled coffee house crap.

#12 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

Right you are Stinky!

(Can't tell you how long I've been waiting to say that.) :lol:
Please don't feed the psychos.

#13 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

As I worked on a write-up of Dale Sveum this morning, I think I'd be just as happy with Sveum as with Maddux. They're a bit of a 1 and 1a for me at this point. Still plenty we don't know about them, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).