Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

So this has been bothering me. I love bleacher nation and every commenter, poster, and member as much as the next guy, BUT I feel like everyone has gotten a little hostile lately. This has occurred primarily though the avenue of prospect rating and predicting.

Throughout the comments there are significantly differing opinions on some very notable prospects. One notion that many commenters bring up is that no one has ever seen these prospects live. Now, this is very obviously true, and not many can refute this. However, the point of this site is that common every day cub fans can come and safely put forth their opinions.

I suggest that we, as a community, be more considerate of everyone's view points. This is not to say you can't disagree with what others say, but we all know no one here is an expert ( and even the experts get it wrong a lot).

I for one get all my information from articles here and scouting reports. So at the same time as everyone being more respectful of everyone's opinion, I ask that those putting forth their opinion aren't so forthcoming when someone disagrees.

An example, the progress and potential of Vogs is a prime candidate. We all "know" his bat is dreamy but have heard his defense is supposedly not up to par. For me, I hate when I see people say he's way too out of shape to play any position while clearly basing their opinion solely on reports. At the same time, when people disagree with this they are only basing their refutation on similiar, yet differing reports.

I guess what I am saying is that I believe we should try our absolute hardest to rate and discuss prospects solely based on their statistics. I know I often have personal feelings that some are better than they are often profiled, but it is irrelevant to argue such an abstract opinion.

If you feel you know better or different than the consensus reports, preface your comment that way and understand that it is reasonable for many to disagree.

All I want is a more streamlined and factually based commenting discussion. This way people can voice their opinions and base it on fact or feeling while feeling confident with their assertion. Hopefully, this will restrict many from simply putting down others because their comment is opinion based while also limiting the opportunity to do so.

I know this is not as specific as I would hope, but I think the frequent commenters will understand what I mean.

So, go cubs! Go bleacher nation! And happy commenting !!

-Cerambam

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

I disagree. :P

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

I see what you did there. You, sir, are hil-ar-ious. Kinda like the doctor from "Patch Adams".

Good times.

#4 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Every base overrates their team's prospects/recruits. In their eyes, their team's recruits have been unjustly underrated. Anger is then invoked on publishers who don't see their team's prospects for the future hall-of-famers they're destined to be. Every prospect, in their eyes, including those two pitchers with exotic names their team received in exchange for Neifi Perez, is a quality prospect, who could emerge as the next great prospect.

Cubs' fans are no different.

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

So this has been bothering me. I love bleacher nation and every commenter, poster, and member as much as the next guy, BUT I feel like everyone has gotten a little hostile lately. This has occurred primarily though the avenue of prospect rating and predicting.

Throughout the comments there are significantly differing opinions on some very notable prospects. One notion that many commenters bring up is that no one has ever seen these prospects live. Now, this is very obviously true, and not many can refute this. However, the point of this site is that common every day cub fans can come and safely put forth their opinions.

I suggest that we, as a community, be more considerate of everyone's view points. This is not to say you can't disagree with what others say, but we all know no one here is an expert ( and even the experts get it wrong a lot).

I for one get all my information from articles here and scouting reports. So at the same time as everyone being more respectful of everyone's opinion, I ask that those putting forth their opinion aren't so forthcoming when someone disagrees.

An example, the progress and potential of Vogs is a prime candidate. We all "know" his bat is dreamy but have heard his defense is supposedly not up to par. For me, I hate when I see people say he's way too out of shape to play any position while clearly basing their opinion solely on reports. At the same time, when people disagree with this they are only basing their refutation on similiar, yet differing reports.

I guess what I am saying is that I believe we should try our absolute hardest to rate and discuss prospects solely based on their statistics. I know I often have personal feelings that some are better than they are often profiled, but it is irrelevant to argue such an abstract opinion.

If you feel you know better or different than the consensus reports, preface your comment that way and understand that it is reasonable for many to disagree.

All I want is a more streamlined and factually based commenting discussion. This way people can voice their opinions and base it on fact or feeling while feeling confident with their assertion. Hopefully, this will restrict many from simply putting down others because their comment is opinion based while also limiting the opportunity to do so.

I know this is not as specific as I would hope, but I think the frequent commenters will understand what I mean.

-Cerambam

Were you not around for Kyle and my 9 month long debate about the front office?

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

u pumpernickle fluffernutter

#7 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

-Cerambam

Were you not around for Kyle and my 9 month long debate about the front office?

Haha, oh I was

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Alright, alright, this escalated quickly in here.

The next time you find yourself in a vicious online cock fight, ya gotta make sure you close the browser window that houses viciousonlinecockfights.com.

I think it's just a lot of antsyness of the Cubs injuries, waiting for actual baseball to start, winter's talons sinking just a bit deeper into the flesh as we thought we were free and the anticipation of The Game of Thrones, Season 3! OFF WITH THE BRAT KING'S HEAD!

#9 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Good post and I agree. :P :D

#10 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

The main post by the way. No offense Hansman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).