69 replies to this topic

#31 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Of course Morken would defend Cardinals fans.

All hate toward the Cardinals via Cubs' fans, comes off as pure jealousy. Especially when it's initiated for no good reason.

"But where I live, Cardinal's fans are (fill in exaggerated descriptive)."
Your experience is with less than 1% of Cardinal's fans. Stop the hyperbole.

Cardinal's fans are well regarded as some of the best fans in baseball. The Cardinals organization is amongst the best in all of baseball. Stop the jealousy.

#32 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Cardinal's fans are well regarded as some of the best fans in baseball. The Cardinals organization is amongst the best in all of baseball. Stop the jealousy.

Maybe tomorrow. Today, I will be driving past the big arch, and I fully intend to flip it the bird.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#33 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

All hate toward the Cardinals via Cubs' fans, comes off as pure jealousy. Especially when it's initiated for no good reason....

This adoration for cardinal fans and the organization is sickening. I get the 100+ year thing. It is the stopping point for all Cubs-cardinal arguments. But when I hear about the great classy organization and fans, I take issue with that. What is so great, so enviable, or so classy about the 15 quick points below? Sorry if some offend anyone:

Scott Spezio - released from the team in 2008 after a 6-count warrant was issued for his arrest. Offenses included DWI, assault and battery, hit and run with property damage and assault with a deadly weapon. This after he left the team in 2007 for admission into a drug rehab center for 5 weeks.

Lonnie Smith - admitted during the baseball cocaine trafficking trials in 1985 that he went crazy on cocaine during a season with the cardinals.

Keith Hernandez - Smith said he stopped using cocaine when he saw the negative affects it was having on his cardinal teammates, notably Keith Hernandez. Hernandez admitted to this when he testified.

Rick Ankiel - received 8 shipments of human growth hormones between 12/2007 and 2/2008 from a Florida pharmacy under investigation for illegal drug distribution.

Darryl Kile - mysteriously found dead in his hotel room with marijuana in his blood and in his room. This was stated in some of the original reports, but seems to have been erased from most public accounts of the story.

Garry Templeton - This classy SS gave a series of obscene hand gestures to cardinal fans (actually a good thing to do) for failing to run out a ground ball. He was fined, suspended and agreed to a psychiatric exam. Same classy guy who refused to play in the All-Star game when picked as back up, by his line, "If I ain't startin', I ain't departin"". Nice.

Darrell Porter - In 2002 the body of this alcohol and drug abuser was found dead in a KC park. Cause of death was toxic affects of cocaine according to the area medical examiner.

Fredbird - the great cardinal mascot was arrested in 2000 for stealing cash and jewelry from the player's lockers.

Josh Hancock - after witnesses saw him drinking for several hours at a local st louis restaurant, he was killed in car crash shortly after leaving. There was marijuana is his car and in his blood. The restaurant? Mike Shannon's place. Too classy to call him a cab?

Enos Slaughter - This classy cardinal Hall of Fame hero gets a pass for some reason, but he led a boycott of players in protest against Jackie Robinson.

Tony LaRussa - arrested because he was intoxicated and asleep at the wheel of his vehicle at an intersection during spring training in Florida in 2007. He dropped the "do you know who I am" line on the police while being held. The video is a classic.

McGwire and La Russa - though there are many villans in the steroid era, these two stand out for their arrogance and comical public denials. They still have a street named after mac in st louis.

Steve Kline - classy cardinal relief pitcher said he hoped Mark Prior "takes a line drive off his forehead so we don't have to see him again".

Matt Morris - said he hoped the Astros win the division if we don't. Anyone but the Cubs. Class.

Joe Thurston (?) - taking a cue from his boss and other ex-teammates, this reserve infiedler was arrested for DWI in 2009.

It didn't take any research to come up with this and I am sure there are many other cardinal incidents I've overlooked or forgotten about. But if someone can come up with similar lists of incidents involving other single teams, I'd like to see one. I doubt if you can. A couple of these might be a little "petty" but most aren't really.

My point is the franchise is not the lilly white, classy organization that many people propogate.

#34 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

[Lonnie Smith - admitted during the baseball cocaine trafficking trials in 1985 that he went crazy on cocaine during a season with the cardinals.

Lonnie Smith's Live at Club Mozambique is a smokin' hot album. We should not discount this.

#35 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Come on Spriggs, everybody knows the Cardinals' organization is every bit as classy as Marge Schott.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#36 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Come on Spriggs, everybody knows the Cardinals' organization is every bit as classy as Marge Schott.

Hey, did the Cardinals ever do any of this on the field?????

BOOM! - OUTDEBATE-IFICATED!!!!!!!

#37 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I recall many a postgame interview after a Cardinals loss where Pujols refused to praise the opposing starting pitcher. He had this to say about Tom Glavine: "He wasn't good. He wasn't good at all... same thing that he always does. Throw a changeup, fastball and that was it."

The "same thing he always does" served him pretty well for 20+ years

#38 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

All hate toward the Cardinals via Cubs' fans, comes off as pure jealousy. Especially when it's initiated for no good reason....

This adoration for cardinal fans and the organization is sickening. I get the 100+ year thing. It is the stopping point for all Cubs-cardinal arguments. But when I hear about the great classy organization and fans, I take issue with that. What is so great, so enviable, or so classy about the 15 quick points below? Sorry if some offend anyone:

Scott Spezio - released from the team in 2008 after a 6-count warrant was issued for his arrest. Offenses included DWI, assault and battery, hit and run with property damage and assault with a deadly weapon. This after he left the team in 2007 for admission into a drug rehab center for 5 weeks.

Lonnie Smith - admitted during the baseball cocaine trafficking trials in 1985 that he went crazy on cocaine during a season with the cardinals.

Keith Hernandez - Smith said he stopped using cocaine when he saw the negative affects it was having on his cardinal teammates, notably Keith Hernandez. Hernandez admitted to this when he testified.

Rick Ankiel - received 8 shipments of human growth hormones between 12/2007 and 2/2008 from a Florida pharmacy under investigation for illegal drug distribution.

Darryl Kile - mysteriously found dead in his hotel room with marijuana in his blood and in his room. This was stated in some of the original reports, but seems to have been erased from most public accounts of the story.

Garry Templeton - This classy SS gave a series of obscene hand gestures to cardinal fans (actually a good thing to do) for failing to run out a ground ball. He was fined, suspended and agreed to a psychiatric exam. Same classy guy who refused to play in the All-Star game when picked as back up, by his line, "If I ain't startin', I ain't departin"". Nice.

Darrell Porter - In 2002 the body of this alcohol and drug abuser was found dead in a KC park. Cause of death was toxic affects of cocaine according to the area medical examiner.

Fredbird - the great cardinal mascot was arrested in 2000 for stealing cash and jewelry from the player's lockers.

Josh Hancock - after witnesses saw him drinking for several hours at a local st louis restaurant, he was killed in car crash shortly after leaving. There was marijuana is his car and in his blood. The restaurant? Mike Shannon's place. Too classy to call him a cab?

Enos Slaughter - This classy cardinal Hall of Fame hero gets a pass for some reason, but he led a boycott of players in protest against Jackie Robinson.

Tony LaRussa - arrested because he was intoxicated and asleep at the wheel of his vehicle at an intersection during spring training in Florida in 2007. He dropped the "do you know who I am" line on the police while being held. The video is a classic.

McGwire and La Russa - though there are many villans in the steroid era, these two stand out for their arrogance and comical public denials. They still have a street named after mac in st louis.

Steve Kline - classy cardinal relief pitcher said he hoped Mark Prior "takes a line drive off his forehead so we don't have to see him again".

Matt Morris - said he hoped the Astros win the division if we don't. Anyone but the Cubs. Class.

Joe Thurston (?) - taking a cue from his boss and other ex-teammates, this reserve infiedler was arrested for DWI in 2009.

It didn't take any research to come up with this and I am sure there are many other cardinal incidents I've overlooked or forgotten about. But if someone can come up with similar lists of incidents involving other single teams, I'd like to see one. I doubt if you can. A couple of these might be a little "petty" but most aren't really.

My point is the franchise is not the lilly white, classy organization that many people propogate.

"Darryl Kile - mysteriously found dead in his hotel room with marijuana in his blood and in his room. This was stated in some of the original reports, but seems to have been erased from most public accounts of the story."

Seriously, what kind of piece of shit are you? Bashing a guy who tragically died, because your "conspiracy theory" includes his use of pot. And how does ths reflect poorly on the Cardinal's organization? What does it have to do with the fans? What do any of the offenses that Cardinal player's personally commit, have to do with the Cardinal's organization?

You're obviously one of those elitist, goody-Two-shoes, who thinks that because somebody does drugs, they're a bad person. Well, cunt neck, get over yourself. Most of the things you listed weren't that bad. Get out of your basement and live life!

You're flooded in envy. Your hate serves as an extension of jealousy.

#39 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

"Darryl Kile - mysteriously found dead in his hotel room with marijuana in his blood and in his room. This was stated in some of the original reports, but seems to have been erased from most public accounts of the story."

Seriously, what kind of piece of shit are you? Bashing a guy who tragically died, because your "conspiracy theory" includes his use of pot. And how does ths reflect poorly on the Cardinal's organization? What does it have to do with the fans? What do any of the offenses that Cardinal player's personally commit, have to do with the Cardinal's organization?

You're obviously one of those elitist, goody-Two-shoes, who thinks that because somebody does drugs, they're a bad person. Well, cunt neck, get over yourself. Most of the things you listed weren't that bad. Get out of your basement and live life!

You're flooded in envy. Your hate serves as an extension of jealousy.

sorry that one offended you.

#40 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

tbh I'm pretty sure more baseball players smoke marijuana than do steroids (even during the late 90s) and as Bobby Valentine pointed out it's not exactly a performance enhancing drug (I wish I could find a video of that press conference because it was hilarious)

#41 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

now that I think about it since then Tim Lincecum did win two CY Young awards and then imploded last season after he allegedly quit so there's that

#42 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Marajuana...smh

What confuses me is many of the same people who are crusading against tobacco smoking are ok with weed smoking.

#43 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Marajuana...smh

What confuses me is many of the same people who are crusading against tobacco smoking are ok with weed smoking.

Come on, Joe. Many of the same people who are are against prescription painkiller addiction are willing to take a tylenol when they have a headache. That doesn't make them hypocrites for being willing to take a painkiller in pill form.

#44 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

because cigarettes don't make dorm food appetizing

#45 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

sorry that one offended you.

You didn't offend me. What you did is shit all over the grave of a good man because you believe that he smoked marijuana. You're an elitist prick.

Do you read what you write? Do you understand that you listed the Cardinal's mascot? You've gotta be fucking retarded!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).