Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Given that we should expect a platoon of shierlholtz and Hairston I started thinking about platoons in general and I thought of a couple questions.

Why are platoons not entirely effective or popular? They seem to have basis in a good idea, using people where their strengths are highlighted.

It seems as though the platoon we will use this year will be just meh as most tend to be but I don't know why that occurs. For example, we know Jeff baker killed lefties but he never was really effectively (i do not mean incorrectly i mean it never really paid off) used with a righty hitting platooner. Is there something I'm missing here?

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

At least we were able to get something for Baker. Platoon are hit or miss in my opinion. A reason that sticks out to me is that maybe the managers want the players to be able to properly develop their skills and not to use another player as a crutch.

#3 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

I imagine playing inconsistently - exactly what a platoon is - isn't easy for many players. It's hard to get into a groove.

#4 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

It should be noted that if you have the right kind of players - players who can prove productive without having to play everyday - a platoon can be, and has been, very productive.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

It should be noted that if you have the right kind of players - players who can prove productive without having to play everyday - a platoon can be, and has been, very productive.

I agree on both points. It seems to be more of the first thing though that it really is a groove killer.

#6 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

I always kind of figured it had to do with the quality of the player. Ya sure, maybe some is better at hitting lefties(righties) in a limited role, but when he begins to see more and more PAs the sad but true fact is that he will probably be exposed as the weak hitter he is.

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

the biggest advantage of platoons is giving guys who'd usually be bench players more playing time and putting them in positions where they're more likely to succeed but I wouldn't do it with rookies since they need regular playing time. the example of 'holtz/Hairston is a good example as both are veteran guys who can be both promised a decent amount of playing time so they were more willing to sign with a team that will most likely wind up in the cellar than sitting on the bench for a contender.

players who are considered "solid regulars" (think hitters who hit in the top five spots in the lineup) should be everyday players platoons are more for the 6-7-8 spots in the lineup

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

I agree with both points, it just seems to be a groove killer though at the same time.

#9 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

It takes two players with particular, complemenary skills. Did the Cubs have a comparable righty-only-killer to pair with Baker?

Also, in the modern game, with multiple pitchers in each game the norm, the opposing pitcher often goes from righty to lefty to righty to lefty. Specialized pitchers and a willingness to use them for a single batter can neutralize much of the effectiveness of a Jeff Baker-type of hitter in high-leverage situations.

#10 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

The problem with platoons is not so much guys "not getting regular AB's" but that managers generally dump the platoon after one half of the platoon gets hot and the other goes cold as a regular part of the season.

#11 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Or in Dusty's case it's a washed up veteran over a promising youngster regardless of performance.

#12 BABIP

BABIP

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

I agree with Hansman. Look at a platooned type of player and look at their split stats compared their full season stats. You can see how often they had to bat against same sided pitching and how much those PAs drag their full season stats down.

One thing that happens with platoons is that over a full season there are injuries and trades, and such, which might mean that a right handed hitting platoon guy might have to play regularly for a while, which will make his full season stats worse.

#13 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

Platoon is just a lazy way of saying "applying strategic advantages through match-ups."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).