62 replies to this topic

#31 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

you know for all the PR hits the Catholic Church has been taking recently you would think they'd know better to replace a former Hitler Youth with a guy who openly supported brutal Argentine dictator Jorge Rafael Videla

Please stick to bad jokes. Politics/social commentary, is not your strong point.

Facts seem to elude your grasp(along with logic, humor and vagina).

I'm not surprised that they haven't covered Argentina in the late 70s yet in your Middle School history class yet

Let me school you:

The new Pope never supported a dictatorship. Your fumbled propaganda smells of progressive secularist. Anyway, you're purposely distorting the line between support, and lack of opposition. The new Pope may be guilty of not creating enough noise in opposition to the dictatorship, but that's hardly "supporting" it.

Once again, you fail to identify the distinction.

As for the new Pope:

He's a humble intellect, who's championed support for the destitute of the world. He's worked with the poor on a personal basis. He's also refused the extravagant lifestyle allotted to someone in his position; instead, choosing to take buses, dine with the poor and live in an apartment.

He's exactly the kind of person who could sweep out the corruption that suffocates large segments in the Vatican.

#32 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

you know for all the PR hits the Catholic Church has been taking recently you would think they'd know better to replace a former Hitler Youth with a guy who openly supported brutal Argentine dictator Jorge Rafael Videla

Please stick to bad jokes. Politics/social commentary, is not your strong point.

I'm not surprised that they haven't covered Argentina in the late 70s yet in your Middle School history class yet

Let me school you:

The new Pope never supported a dictatorship. Your fumbled propaganda smells of progressive secularist. Anyway, you're purposely distorting the line between support, and lack of opposition. The new Pope may be guilty of not creating enough noise in opposition to the dictatorship, but that's hardly "supporting" it.

As for the new Pope:

He's a humble intellect, who's championed support for the destitute of the world. He's worked with the poor on a personal basis. He's also refused the extravagant lifestyle allotted to someone in his position; instead, choosing to take buses, dine with the poor and live in an apartment.

He's exactly the kind of person who could sweep out the corruption that suffocates large segments in the Vatican.

Hope he brings life into the Church. It has been quite a roller coaster lately.

#33 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Let me school you:

As for the new Pope:

I have a degree in history and not only took two classes that covered the dirty war but I have attended a conference on Argentine fascism. Where are you getting your facts from? Wikipedia?

#34 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Let me school you:

As for the new Pope:

I have a degree in history and not only took two classes that covered the dirty war but I have attended a conference on Argentine fascism. Where are you getting your facts from? Wikipedia?

You're the person who's hurled baseless and unsubstantiated accusations. It is you who bares the burden of proof.

What a bunch of garbage. As if a degree in History covers you for all aspects of the world's debate. Oh, you took "two classes" that covered "the dirty war". What a bunch of shit.

Go back to school. Your degree has lent you nothing.

I repeat: Anyone who understands what really happened, knows that the new Pope did NOT support any dictatorship.

#35 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Let me school you:

As for the new Pope:

Hope he brings life into the Church. It has been quite a roller coaster lately.

It sure has.

I never understood why any organization would look the other way while illegal activities - in this case, child molestation - took place, in order to save the reputation of their organization. What they failed to understand - just as Penn State had - is that self reporting; self admittance, is the highest form of credibility.

The new Pope is the kind of man who could clean house.

#36 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

yeah I went on a date with a Chilean in college and I was like "oh I'm really sorry about Pinochet ruining your country" but her family was really rich and her parents cried the day he died. definitely did not get any sugar that night.

This is really interesting. I studied abroad in Chile and Argentina for a month my first year of law school and the title of the courses were International Human Rights, and Religious Freedom. My host family in Chile had a signed picture of Pinochet on their wall; I wasn't the first one to stay with them because this trip had gone on a couple years before, so the school was aware they were basically sympathizers with Pinochet.

Anyway, after we visited Villa Grimaldi one day, I got back to their place that night and they were like, "So how'd you like all the propaganda you learned today?" Super awkward. But I feel like it's pretty much a 50/50 split in Chile with people who sympathize with Pinochet's regime and those that don't. I don't understand how anyone can, especially after seeing the stuff at Villa Grimaldi. I guess if you're rich and well off you pretty much don't care. It's messed up, yo.

#37 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Only tangentially related, but some things in Buenos Aries are still pretty messed up.

Posted Image

That's a picture I took of the "Madres" in Argentina who show their support for the dirty war and some of the things Peron did (and they also condoned the 9/11 attacks). From what I've read about this current Pope (which is admittedly very little), it seems like he may be guilty of tacit acceptance of some of the things that went on in the past - and there's clearly a group of people that wouldn't mind bringing the things that happened during the dirty war back. That is not to say that he is a sympathizer of dictatorships or won't be good for the Church, but there's a lot of work to be done in the Church, and perhaps in his native country as well.

#38 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Only tangentially related, but some things in Buenos Aries are still pretty messed up.

Posted Image

That's a picture I took of the "Madres" in Argentina who show their support for the dirty war and some of the things Peron did (and they also condoned the 9/11 attacks). From what I've read about this current Pope (which is admittedly very little), it seems like he may be guilty of tacit acceptance of some of the things that went on in the past - and there's clearly a group of people that wouldn't mind bringing the things that happened during the dirty war back. That is not to say that he is a sympathizer of dictatorships or won't be good for the Church, but there's a lot of work to be done in the Church, and perhaps in his native country as well.

I genuinely hope not. I don't know if that claim is true or not, I am not taking sides on that until I know for certain. I would be embarrassed as a Catholic if that is true, but am praying that it isn't. We needed a new pope after the whole child molestation set of issues, we really don't need the Argentinian dictator thing to be true. We as Catholics have had enough bad press and have had the religion's reputation quite tattered. I really hope this isn't true.

#39 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

Yeah, I don't know enough to be fully educated on the issue, either. But I do know there's still people in Argentina that approve of what went on. But, you'll have that in every country. There are always people out there with a radical viewpoint, and I'm certainly not saying Francis is one of those people. But it's definitely something to check into.

#40 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

Let me school you:

As for the new Pope:

You're the person who's hurled baseless and unsubstantiated accusations. It is you who bares the burden of proof.

What a bunch of garbage. As if a degree in History covers you for all aspects of the world's debate. Oh, you took "two classes" that covered "the dirty war". What a bunch of shit.

I repeat: Anyone who understands what really happened, knows that the new Pope did NOT support any dictatorship.

My education has lent me the ability to back up what I say with facts instead of hyperbole and insults.

Posted Image
Here's Pope Francis palling around with Videla, who ordered torture, "disappearing" (his preferred method was throwing them out of an airplane into the ocean so no body would be recovered) of 30,000 people, stealing children, and set up concentration camps in Argentina. He is currently serving a life sentence in prison for the atrocities he committed.

This also included the murders, torture, and abduction of "free thinking" priests and nuns. He was directly tied to at least one of these abductions, which is apparently due to two priests serving the poor in the slums that Francis allegedly cares so much about: http://www.commondre...ne/2013/03/14-1
http://www.newyorker...-dirty-war.html
http://spitfirelist....comment-page-1/

Also nice anti-education rant you got going on there. You sound like my right wing nutjob high school dropout guido stepbrother who constantly complains about people leeching off the government while he collects welfare and food stamps benefits. That conference btw was put on by Federico Finchelstein, who grew up in Argentina during this time. I'm pretty sure he knows a bit more about this than you.

#41 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Let me school you:

As for the new Pope:

My education has lent me the ability to back up what I say with facts instead of hyperbole and insults.

Posted Image
Here's Pope Francis palling around with Videla, who ordered torture, "disappearing" (his preferred method was throwing them out of an airplane into the ocean so no body would be recovered) of 30,000 people, stealing children, and set up concentration camps in Argentina. He is currently serving a life sentence in prison for the atrocities he committed.

This also included the murders, torture, and abduction of "free thinking" priests and nuns. He was directly tied to at least one of these abductions, which is apparently due to two priests serving the poor in the slums that Francis allegedly cares so much about: http://www.commondre...ne/2013/03/14-1
http://www.newyorker...-dirty-war.html
http://spitfirelist....comment-page-1/

Also nice anti-education rant you got going on there. You sound like my right wing nutjob high school dropout guido stepbrother who constantly complains about people leeching off the government while he collects welfare and food stamps benefits. That conference btw was put on by Federico Finchelstein, who grew up in Argentina during this time. I'm pretty sure he knows a bit more about this than you.

A picture. That's it? That's like me posting a picture of President Obama next to Hugo Chavez, indicting President Obama for everything Chavez has done.

You've purposely distorted the basis of your initial premise. You've provided nothing factual to back up your claim that the new Pope supported a dictatorship. Knowing this, you posted a ton of facts about the dictator - facts most of us already new - in hopes that you could laminate your initial premise; facts that have nothing to do with your baseless claims. It's the equivalent of a liar who provides small portions of truths in his story, but nothing that supports his bigger lie.

It's funny how you purposely left out the fact that the new Pope was responsible for freeing those two priests. It's funny, and expected.

The only thing the new Pope was gulty of is not coming out stronger in opposition to the dictatorship. That's hardly support. In you're feeble mind, you're unable to draw such a distinction.

You remind me of one of those left-wing, intolerant, anti-religious pussies, who tramples over the faith of so many(with the exception of Muslims, who make you shit your pants). As soon as the new Pope was elected, you decided to take a piss on Catholicism. Such intolerance is to be expected from the likes of you.

You use your education as an accessory. When you're on the ropes in a debate, you believe your degree is a 'get out of jail' card. Dude, it's a fucking a history degree. You might as well have an art degree. You probably teach in some shitty high school.

#42 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

A picture. That's it? That's like me posting a picture of President Obama next to Hugo Chavez, indicting President Obama for everything Chavez has done.

You've purposely distorted the basis of your initial premise. You've provided nothing factual to back up your claim that the new Pope supported a dictatorship. Knowing this, you posted a ton of facts about the dictator - facts most of us already new - in hopes that you could laminate your initial premise; facts that have nothing to do with your baseless claims. It's the equivalent of a liar who provides small portions of truths in his story, but nothing that supports his bigger lie.

It's funny how you purposely left out the fact that the new Pope was responsible for freeing those two priests. It's funny, and expected.

The only thing the new Pope was gulty of is not coming out stronger in opposition to the dictatorship. That's hardly support. In you're feeble mind, you're unable to draw such a distinction.

You remind me of one of those left-wing, intolerant, anti-religious pussies, who tramples over the faith of so many(with the exception of Muslims, who make you shit your pants). As soon as the new Pope was elected, you decided to take a piss on Catholicism. Such intolerance is to be expected from the likes of you.

You use your education as an accessory. When you're on the ropes in a debate, you believe your degree is a 'get out of jail' card. Dude, it's a fucking a history degree. You might as well have an art degree. You probably teach in some shitty high school.

Remaining quiet about someone doing something inherently bad (especially when you have the ability to effect change, speak out or alert the authorities) does not absolve guilt. It would be no different than had he witnessed a passed out college girl get gang-raped and chatted up the rapers while they were doing it.

Roman Catholic history is filled with people who died fighting corrupt and evil systems of government and oppression of groups who were incapable of fighting for themselves. If he truly (I really no nothing about what Fr./Msgr./Bishop/Cardinal Jorge did or did not do) did nothing and then met with the Dictator on friendly terms, that is wrong, he is just as guilty as the other man and Pope John Paul II is spinning in his grave right now.

#43 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Roman Catholic history is filled with people who died fighting corrupt and evil systems of government and oppression of groups who were incapable of fighting for themselves.

Just as it's filled with corrupt ("holy") people fighting legitimate systems of government, legitimate science, as well as its own evil oppression of groups who were incapable of fighting for themselves.

#44 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Roman Catholic history is filled with people who died fighting corrupt and evil systems of government and oppression of groups who were incapable of fighting for themselves.

Just as it's filled with corrupt ("holy") people fighting legitimate systems of government, legitimate science, as well as its own evil oppression of groups who were incapable of fighting for themselves.

Of course. Where there is power over others, there is abuse of that power. Where a (perceived) threat to way of life exists, those that are threatened ignore logic and reason.

I do find it interesting that Morken is not above having discussions about blacks and hispanics being homophobes, but a discussion about the Pope supporting or not supporting a dictator is "intolerance".

#45 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Of course. Where there is power over others, there is abuse of that power. Where a (perceived) threat to way of life exists, those that are threatened ignore logic and reason.

I do find it interesting that Morken is not above having discussions about blacks and hispanics being homophobes, but a discussion about the Pope supporting or not supporting a dictator is "intolerance".

Morken is still here? I had forgotten about him after I added him to my "ignore" preferences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).