Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Twitter:@ChuckDarwin1
  • LocationGeneva, Illinois

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hello Message Board...

I was just checking out ticket prices for opening day at Wrigley vs. opening day at the cell... When comparing tickets of close to equal value ($56 per seat at Wrigley and $48 per seat at the cell), the seats at Wrigley are subjected to $6.72 each for tax, $4.75 per ticket for a 'per ticket fee', and $0.43 per ticket for some other tax... that's a total of $11.90 per seat in taxes and fees ($23.80 for the 2 seats).

At the cell, the $48 seats are subjected to a $5 'convenience' charge each and $0.45 in tax each. That's a total of $10.90 in taxes in fees. What's even more infuriating is that the tax on a seat at the cell is essentially <1%.

Can anyone shed some light on why the Cubs ticket buyers are stuck paying 12% tax when Sox buyers are paying less than 1%??? I'd really like to hear the actual legal reason that this is happening.... As a STH, I've always known we were paying more in taxes than fans at the cell, but I had no idea I was getting this screwed. Why can the city impose a massive tax on one baseball team, but not the other?

#2 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Very interesting 100 YoT. Makes you wonder.

The $6.72 tax/seat for those tickets at Wrigley is the 12% Amusement Tax.

Amusement Tax is only applied to events with 750+ people in attendance so I can only assume that is why the desolate park off 35th is not subject to this tax. Fans would need to show up to games.

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

So why aren't the Sox subject to the amusement tax? Is the cell in some kind of enterprise zone or something?

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

So why aren't the Sox subject to the amusement tax? Is the cell in some kind of enterprise zone or something?

It could be because the Sox don't actually own the park and the city gets their "taxes" through other means.

Or, it's that the Cubs are a cash cow and the city is milking the snot out of it.

#5 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

I hope Brett does his Ace investigating on this. I'd love to hear more on this topic. Interesting stuff.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

It could be because the Sox don't actually own the park and the city gets their "taxes" through other means.

Or, it's that the Cubs are a cash cow and the city is milking the snot out of it.

Yeah the Sox have a lease on the stadium that goes to ISFA (if you recall the Tribune tried selling Wrigley to them) but it still isn't fair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).