#1 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

David Murphy, who'll be 32, on our roster in 2014 would be an upgrade over Nate Schierholtz and David DeJesus. He's making roughly $5.77M in his last year of arbitration eligibility with Texas, whereas Schierholtz is under a one-year, $2.25M "value-building" contract, and DeJesus is making $4.25M in his last non-option year. They are all similar in that their power comes against right handed pitching, but Murphy has a higher average vs. lefties and his power is not exclusive to the hitter-friendly park in Texas.

Murphy has a career .348 OBP which is comparable to DeJesus' .355 career OBP, and surprisingly, he has 51 career SB (in 707 G) and DeJesus has 58 career SB (in 1155 G).

Murphy's career walk and k rates are similar to DeJesus' (8.9% BB and 16.1% SO).

Murphy's Fielding Runs Above Average was 11.0 last year (which is actually comparable to Soriano's career year in fielding last year), whereas DeJesus and Schierholtz were both in the negative.

I think Murphy in LF on a 3 or 4 year deal would fit the Cubs' needs for the immediate future (Almora should be ready to take an OF spot in '15 or '16). There's no doubt he'll be cheaper than what Jacoby Ellsbury will demand on the open market. If the FO agrees that we cannot get a fair return for Soriano, he may end up starting the season with us in 2014. This is perfect, because hopefully Jorge Soler will be ready to come up around the trade deadline of that year and Murphy will be able to shift back over to his natural LF (after a Soriano trade).

-----------------------------------------------------
I still foresee a trade with Texas this year, possibly a 3 year deal, sending Darwin Barney to the third club, Matt Garza to Texas and Elvis Andrus (signing an extension) with some minor league pitching sent to the Cubs.

2014 post-trade deadline:
2B Elvis Andrus
LF David Murphy (L)
SS Starlin Castro
1B Anthony Rizzo (L)
RF Jorge Soler
CF Brett Jackson (L) / Dave Sappelt
3B Javier Baez
C Jarrod Saltalamacchia (S) / Welington Castillo
IF Logan Watkins (L)
OF/DH Scott Hairston
BN

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'd love to acquire Andrus but considering Texas' unwillingness to include either him or Profar in a deal for Justin Upton, I think they plan on having those two man the middle infield for years to come while shifting Kinsler to either the OF or 1B.

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I dunno if I'm just pessimistic, but that lineup doesn't really excite me.

#4 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Pass on Murphy.

#5 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Murphy is an interesting option. However, he's the type of player who is only worth signing if you can aquire him on your terms(money/years). A 4-year deal for David Murphy, should be absolutely out of the question. A 2-year deal, with an option, is much more reasonable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).