Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

crype(adj,noun)- 1. A once hyped Chicago Cubs prospect who turns out to be crap as a player(crappy abilities). 2. A once hyped Chicago Cubs prospect whose career turns out to be crap. 3. A Chicago Cub prospect who turns out to be crap in relation to his draft status and the players drafted after him.

CHICAGO CUBS ALL-TIME CRYPE TEAM

PITCHERS(7)- Herman Segelke, Rick James, Bobby Brownlie, Mark Pawelek, Ben Christenson , Lance Dickson, Drew Hall

INFIELDERS(6)- Ty Griffen, Gary Scott, Bobby Hill, Hee-Seop Choi, Luis Montanez, Terry Hughes

OUTFIELDERS(4)- Earl Cunningham, Ryan Harvey, Darrin Jackson, Brooks Kieschnick

CATCHER(1)- Bill Hayes

Today's entry might seem a bit harsh since he has hung on to have a 12 year MLB career(mostly as a 4th OF). He has also made more than 15 million during that time. So to say he is a "total" bust might seem unfair. However, when as a minor leaguer you are drawing comparisons to Ken Griffey Jr.(and this guy was) and your career comes closer to
Tony Gwynn Jr's, you are Cub Crype. In fact, he may be a captain of the Crype team.

COREY PATTERSON-OF 1998 1ST RD (3RD PICK OVERALL)

Maybe it's just something about the name Corey(sorry to all you Coreys out there). But lets take a look at some other Coreys: Corey Haim(dead), Corey Feldman (dead career), and Corey Hart ( not the Brewer Corey Hart, the one who wears his Sunglasses at Night and is probably also dead because of it).

The Cub Prospect Hype machine worked overtime on Corey Patterson. He was the second coming, or maybe even the first coming. Five tools, Can't miss, similar to Griffey Jr, and even consistently ranked in Baseball America.( he even fooled the smart people)

Not to "toot my own horn", but I can still remember the first time I saw this prospect messiah... and I was extremely disappointed. First off, he was a bit on the short side,no offense to the vertically challenged, but I expected to see a big strapping stud...not a 5'8 somewhat muscley guy. Then there was the swing, which had a big loop in it. The kind of swing that you can tell, if he connects...wham!...but I knew he was going to whiff a lot. So my Crype radar was even going off back then.

So Corey had a couple of marginally successful seasons with the Cubs, was shipped off to Baltimore as part of the MHSSPA(McPhail/Hendry Shared Shit Prospect Agreement) and has clanked around the big leagues ever since as a guy who can come of the bench and steal a base for you, hit an occasional HR, and strike out a lot.

Some other interesting Corey facts:

- yes, he did win a World Series ring with the Cards this year(thank you Ron Washington!)

- he has worn 9 different numbers throughout his career, so if you are a Corey Patterson jersey collector, it will be a challenge to complete the set.

- career batting average of .252(yuck!) career OPS .691( double yuck!)

- Players drafted after Corey in 1998- C.C. Sabathia, Mark Texieira, Adam Dunn, Cliff Lee, Matt Holliday, and Barry Zito. (insert own HOLY SH@# type comment)

Welcome to the Chicago Cubs All-Time Crype Team Corey, and when the word "crype" makes into Webster's Dictionary someday, you may be the picture next to the word.

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

I would have called him the second coming of Felix Pie, except he was first. Maybe Felix Pie is the second coming of Corey Patterson. I'm so confused.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

Great writeup. Before he tore his ACL, it was looking like he was going to break out. Indeed, he's the primary reason I worry about any and all speed guys in the years after any kind of leg injury.

Which is totally unfair, by the way, because, as you note, Patterson also always had a huge hole in his swing.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

In many ways his injury in 2003 was the reason we got ARam. With his injury we needed a CF/leadoff man and got Kenny Lofton the extra player was ARam (although we needed a 3B as well and he had showed promise), but on the flip side of that positive trade the legend of Hendry's as supposed good trader was born. So to me Corey's injury and time on the Cubs wasn't all bad but still all Crype

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

That is a great point MG....he doesn't get hurt and we probably don't trade for Lofton and Aramis....maybe don't make the playoffs...give Hendry some credit, that was a good trade...

#6 Shawn

Shawn

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChampaign

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Well, at least Bobby Hill and Hee-Seop Choi got us something.

#7 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

To be fair, he looked like he was going to be amazing before he got injured in 03, AND he put up 5.2 fWAR in 04 and his speed was always there. He was a big power, fast, good glove centerfielder who swung at everything. He was Brett Jackson with no plate discipline

#8 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

I remember what Stone (Yeah, he's a tool.) said about Corey. "You can't steal first."

#9 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

The thing I remember about his days with the Cubs: His penchant for eye-high fastballs.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#10 FratRat

FratRat

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:@rcpikeboy

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

True story: I had a game-used Patterson bat that I, at the time, reluctantly gave up in my divorce (wasn't anything formally written; she asked, I wilted). Me thinks it all worked out for the better.............

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

I remember what Stone (Yeah, he's a tool.) said about Corey. "You can't steal first."

Someone should tell Tony Campana.

#12 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

True story: I had a game-used Patterson bat that I, at the time, reluctantly gave up in my divorce (wasn't anything formally written; she asked, I wilted). Me thinks it all worked out for the better.............

Yup, you win.

#13 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Patterson might be the MVP of the Crypers. I am still holding out hope for you to announce Mike Harkey as the ace of the pitching staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).