2 replies to this topic

#1 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered - which wouldn't surprise me, since Brett works his butt off in being on top of everything Cubs related - I simply find Brett Loux's journey on his way to being a member of the Cubs, as well as his potential, very intriguing.

In the 2010 Major League draft, the Arizona Diamondbacks thought so highly of Loux, that they drafted him with the 6th pick overall. That's 5 spots after Bryce Harper, 3 spots after Manny Machado and 7 spots before Chris Sale. Upon giving Loux his physical, the Diamondback's medical staff found damage in his elbow, on top of a torn labrum, which the Diamondback's doctors were convince would require a future surgery. Taking advantage of compensation rules(they would be granted the 7th overall pick in the 2011 draft), Arizona declined to extend Loux a contract. A player in Loux's situation(draft picks who go unsigned normally can't begin their careers until the next season) is usually left with one option: return to college. However, MLB anomalously granted Loux immediate free agency. After throwing for scouts, the Rangers signed Loux to a contract.

Within Texas' minor league system, Loux showed the same potential that resulted in him being the 6th overall draft pick. In 2011, at A+: 127 Ks to just 34 BB, in 109 IP; 1.284 Whip, 3.80 ERA, in 21 starts. In 2012, at AA, it was more of the same: 100 Ks to 41 BB, in 127 IP; 1.268 WHIP, 3.47 ERA, in 25 starts.

In July of 2012, the Rangers set their sites on acquiring a catcher. The Cubs offered up Geovany Soto, with their asking price being one of Jacob Bringham or Barret Loux. The Cubs decided to pull the trigger on Jacob Bringham while still wanting to look over his medical records. In the process of reviewing Bringham's medical records, news of the trade leaked out(presumably from the Cubs). Texas had already informed their starting catcher, Yorvit Torrealba, that Soto was being acquired to replace him, as the Cubs were expressing their reluctance in trading for a player with Bingham's questionable physical status. In a rough spot and looking to avoid any diversions on their quest to win a championship, Texas agreed that the Cubs could swap Loux for Brigham after the season if Brigham wasn't healthy, on top of a player to be named later. Of course, Brigham proved to have elbow problems when the Cubs got him, so the Cubs swapped him out for Loux, after the season(and are still owed a PTBNL).

I find the Cubs' ability to obtain a player of Loux potential, and the manner for which they did, to be a great example of the meticulous nature of the new régime.

*Information regarding the Loux situation was conveyed by MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I'm going to be VERY interested in seeing how he actually looks this year, presumably at AAA. His numbers so far in his minor league career have been fantastic, but scouts pretty uniformly say he's got "meh" stuff. Apparently he's got four average pitches, which is kind of a compliment and an insult. It's hard to succeed in the bigs without at least one or two plus pitches, but maybe if you've got four you can throw for strikes with consistency, you can be a back-end guy for a handful of years. I think that's what we're hoping for from Loux.

#3 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

If he is still recovering from injury, it could make his stuff look "meh" at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).