• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

WARNING SOME OF THE IDEAS YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE ARE RIDICULOUS

1. Alfonso Soriano (and possibly a prospect) to the As for Gio Gonzalez or Trevor Cahill
Assuming that the Cubs are willing to eat a portion of Soriano's contract I could see this trade happening. The As just lost Josh Willingham and will more than likely be looking to replace him with a player who can match his offensive capabilities.

2. Zambrano to the Marlins for whatever we can get
I don't need to explain this one do I?

3. Trade Marlon Byrd (and possibly prospects or Darwin Barney) for JJ Hardy.
Hardy is coming off of a .269BA 30HR 80RBI season, he could play 3B or 2B and he would add a solid power bat to the lineup. And trading Byrd and Barney would potentially open up spots for LeMahieu and Colvin to get regular playing time. I can't really see this trade happening though.

4. Bad contract swap with the Giants, Zambrano for Zito.

5. Tyler Colvin and Carlos Zambrano to the Marlins for Logan Morrison
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

1. Alfonso Soriano (and possibly a prospect) to the As for Gio Gonzalez or Trevor Cahill
Assuming that the Cubs are willing to eat a portion of Soriano's contract I could see this trade happening. The As just lost Josh Willingham and will more than likely be looking to replace him with a player who can match his offensive capabilities.

Thats just not going to happen, the Cubs will have to add at least one top prospect and eat almost all of Soriano's contract before Beene would be willing to give away one of his top pitchers. The other teams that want him would be willing to give up 3-4 prospects for these pitchers, think Matt Garza.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

Thats just not going to happen, the Cubs will have to add at least one top prospect and eat almost all of Soriano's contract before Beene would be willing to give away one of his top pitchers. The other teams that want him would be willing to give up 3-4 prospects for these pitchers, think Matt Garza.

I warned you it would be ridiculous lol... But it wouldn't just be soriano, obviously the cubs will need to give up more prospects like you said ( I should have been more specific above) but this trade satisfies needs for both clubs, the As get a solid DH, and the cubs add a solid arm to their rotation.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

I like the idea of packaging Zambrano and something else to the Marlins for Morrison, but the something else would have to be much more valuable than Colvin, and there would have to be a huge amount of cash going that way.

But I do like it, and do think it's realistic.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

This would make me ecstatic. First, it would get rid of Zambrano. Second, it would make everybody stop with the nonsensical "getting Colvin some playing time". Matt Murton Sam Fuld Micah Hoffpauir Tyler Colvin is not a major-league starter.

#6 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

This would make me ecstatic. First, it would get rid of Zambrano. Second, it would make everybody stop with the nonsensical "getting Colvin some playing time". Matt Murton Sam Fuld Micah Hoffpauir Tyler Colvin is not a major-league starter.

I think that there is a high upside to Tyler Colvin. In 2010 he hit .254/20/56, and then last season Q-ball didn't play him. The potential is there for him to be a pretty good player.

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

I think that there is a high upside to Tyler Colvin. In 2010 he hit .254/20/56, and then last season Q-ball didn't play him. The potential is there for him to be a pretty good player.

Hey, Sam, did you say "upside"?

#8 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hey, Sam, did you say "upside"?

Yes I did. He hit 20HR as a rookie. I don't think he's going to be competing for the triple crown anytime soon (or ever) but if he gets regular playing time I think he could develop into a solid player.

#9 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook:Mark Comparet
  • LocationFort Wayne, In.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

If it's me I'm Keeping Zambrano, ride his contract out. I'd rather have him hurt us on are own roster than eat the majority of his contract and kill us on another team.

Trade Soto while you can get something for him, he's not a great field commander, doesn't handle pitchers extremely well, and lacks defense. Better catchers waiting in the wings.

Baker/Dewitt there's trade value here if you can get minor leaguers with what your looking for good deal, if not 1-1 player swaps with other teams.

Bring back Derosa may not be what he once was but still on par w/Baker/Dewitt and great guy in the clubhouse leader wise.

Soriano get what you can for him... ...Mustache trimmer for Maddux would be nice.

Byrd is serviceable and good example for the younger guys... ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).