Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Anyway, tread lightly, Cubs' fans. It's funny how the Cubs' "new way" for which Theo has authored, won't result in winning until the Cubs boast a payroll that vastly exceeds everyone else's.

For someone that prides himself on being a "smart motherfucker", surely you can recognize your improper use of an apostrophe in this sentence. Right?

Not to mention ending mad sentences with prepositions

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I shall not put.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#17 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Nice set of stats Mike. How long did it take to get all that together?

Probably over an hour with dinner in between. I've been having back spasms the past couple of days, so I've been pretty inactive physically. It wasn't a big deal spending a lot of time on that post, considering my circumstances. I was actually curious to see how well (and slow) the team would've looked had the fans gotten a quick fix.

Just say the payroll was $200M and Ricketts didn't make that outburst in 2011 towards Zambrano and he takes the 5 spot in the rotation, while Samardzija works out of the pen until Garza's injury. We win a lot more games not having Volstad on the roster, even though Z averaged 4.54 ERA, 6K/3BB as a starter in Miami. Say, we go 85 - 77... that's $2.35M per win (not to mention "losing" all of the prospects we got from trades and lost draft picks by signing Type A and B free agents).

Maybe our extra wins are against the Cardinals and we make the last playoff spot. We have to play the Braves on the road and win that 1 game (remember that game, where 1 umpire alone, handed the game to STL? Yeah, I imagine we'd have a new Bartman).

Anyway, we'd be in worse shape and setup for failure at the end of the year... LaHair and Corpas still regress, Lendy Castillo has his "injury" and Garza's out for the season just before the trade deadline. Clevenger's strain puts him out and we have to pick up ineffective catchers who've passed through the waiver wire and Clevenger still struggles upon his return. Dolis still has his control problems and gets sent down, Byrd and Soto have their problems early on and get traded. Dempster, Zambrano, and Marshall still walk at the end of the season.

#18 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

I couldn't resist the urge to defend Brett against Paul Sullivan's ridiculousness, which then renewed my interest in this thread.

Sorry. I'm breaking my promise. But I'll be quick.

#19 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

Anyway, tread lightly, Cubs' fans. It's funny how the Cubs' "new way" for which Theo has authored, won't result in winning until the Cubs boast a payroll that vastly exceeds everyone else's.

For someone that prides himself on being a "smart motherfucker", surely you can recognize your improper use of an apostrophe in this sentence. Right?

Sorry. I don't have all day to analyze the grammatical errors in my posts. If we swept every post on this blog for grammatical errors, ever post would be flagged.

Pointing out one's grammatical errors on a message board, is a passive-aggressive ploy. It's a diversion created by cowards who cannot properly express their opposing views.

Now go home and get your fucking shine box!

#20 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Question for Morken: Would you have signed Pujols, Fielder, Hamilton, or Greinke? If so, how high would you have gone? Who else would you have signed?

I would have rather saved the money wasted on Scott Baker($5.5 million, $1.5 million in performance bonuses), and went all-in on Anibal Sanchez, for starters. That would have given the Cubs 3/5 of a future rotation, going forward. Because, as it stands, the Cubs are devoid of starting pitching.

This offseason, plenty of talented players were traded. The Cubs failed to aquire any.

You do understand that the Cubs are tanking seasons, right? It's unacceptable to tank seasons, yet reside in a market like Chicago, are have a profitable team such as the Cubs.

I could live with the losses if the Cubs had their future on display; if they were sporting young talent all across the diamond. However, fans are subjected to Lillibridge/ Stewart, at 3B, an outfield of DeJesus/Soriano/Hairston/Schierholtz, and Barney/Gonzales at 2B. The staring pitching consists of Fieldman/Wood/Villanueva. None of these players are a part of the future. So when do the Cubs aquire players to compete in 2014? Have you seen the FA class? Yikes! If they were planning to be good in 2014, should some of the accusations have come this past offseason?

Oh, I know. The Cubs are going to flip a ton of players for amazing talent at the deadline. Ridiculous. Let's not forget that Theo botched trading Matt Garza at his peek value last season, prior to his injury.

Oh, I know. The Cubs minor league triad is set to save the franchise. Well, odds are not all three are going to be regular MLB players. And when thy are ready to make a significant impact, it will be in the 2015 season.

Theo has won in the past because he's spent absorbenently. That's a fact. He's not Billy Beane or Andrew Friedman. And if MLB resorts to a salary-cap, which momentum seems to be predicting, Theo's biggest asset, money, will be gone!

#21 Theocracy

Theocracy

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAvondale/Logan Square

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

I believe I am needed in this thread. Theo had financial flexibility and used it. If an owner gives a GM financial flexibility to use, you use it. They were still able to unload a ton of their bad contracts and it seems like a new Red Sox prospect comes up everyday and contributes to the major league club. That's what Cubs fans can bank on. Jed Hoyer built one of the best farm systems in baseball ON HIS OWN and Theo built one of the best farm systems in baseball ON HIS OWN. We are combining 2 brilliant prospect minds who are going to be able to cash in on a lot of free agents in the future but for now are focusing on building our terrible (or formerly terrible) minor league system.

#22 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

I believe I am needed in this thread. Theo had financial flexibility and used it. If an owner gives a GM financial flexibility to use, you use it. They were still able to unload a ton of their bad contracts and it seems like a new Red Sox prospect comes up everyday and contributes to the major league club. That's what Cubs fans can bank on. Jed Hoyer built one of the best farm systems in baseball ON HIS OWN and Theo built one of the best farm systems in baseball ON HIS OWN. We are combining 2 brilliant prospect minds who are going to be able to cash in on a lot of free agents in the future but for now are focusing on building our terrible (or formerly terrible) minor league system.

Nicely put.  Just curious though, do you have a bromance for Theo? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).