Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Rosemont.

I know when this was first brought up on the main page, the response from many in the native Chicago crowd was that moving out of Wrigley was flatly impossible, and even if the Cubs did move Rosemont was a particularly bad option.

Why is that, exactly?

Looking at Google Maps, it looks like Rosemont is situated almost in the middle of the Chicago metro area. No, it isn't in the city itself, but the Chicago area is more than just the city (don't tell the Mayor I said that...). Am I wrong in thinking that the entire Chicago Metro area supplies fans to Wrigley? If fans really come from the city itself and only the city then I can see Rosemont being a bad thing. But if fans are coming in from Schaumberg, Elmhurst, Arlington Park, Downer's Grove, Northbrook, or other areas, then Rosemont looks like it would take less time to travel to and would make games easier to get to - not more difficult.

I know Schaumberg has been mentioned as a better alternative, but from my non-native viewpoint, Schaumberg is just located further out and with fewer transportation options compared to Rosemont.

But that is kind of the point... I'm not a native.

So... Chicago area natives... what I am missing? What is it about Rosemont that makes it such a bad option?

#2 justinjabs

justinjabs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Twitter:justinjabs
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Is the proposed plot even big enough? I heard something along the lines of this plot is 25 acres, and for example, Miller Park is like 250 acres. Obviously I did not fact check that at all but that is one such argument I've heard.

Personally I am commuting from Wisconsin anyways, and would be fine with a move.

Posted Image

"With Reed we will succeed."
Twitter -- Blog

#3 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

I work in Rosemont in the summer and the last two summers, I can answer this!

I'll try to keep this concise, but no promises.

Rosemont is a soulless shithole
I'm sure I've said that before, but that's how I've been explaining it to friends for years now. Because of its proximity to O'Hare, it is an ideal location for convention centers/hotels/office buildings. And that's all that's there. Wide streets connecting office parks, vast tracks of parking lots, and a few convention centers/theatres/etc is all you'll see in Rosemont. There are no restaraunts/places to hang out/homes/anything that makes a place interesting to visit/live in. It may be easier to get to a game there, but you'd have no reason to show up early, stay late, or ever visit for anything other than the games. Wrigleyville is a very fun place for a lot of fans, and there are no bars/restaurants/anything close to the stadium in Rosemont that could give the place even the tiniest bit of the atmosphere that surrounds Wrigley.

Traffic
Traffic in the area is terrible. Really, really terrible. Because the interchanges serve so many people going in so many directions, the sheer volume of people moving through the area causes massive delays. The highways might be able to handle 40,000 more people moving through the area, but not 40,000 more people trying to get into Rosemont. All the highways in the area are not designed to get people into or out of Rosemont, just through there and onto further destinations. The roads, on/off ramps, everything would not be capable of handling the massively increased traffic into the area. It'd be a nightmare, and no improvement over Wrigley at all.

Shea-Stadium Level Noise
O'Hare is very close to any potential Rosemont stadium site, and would feature all of the lovely low-flying planes that made Shea Stadium so uncomfortable to watch games at. Even if planes didn't go right over the stadium, the planes are low-flying and frequent and would produce a terrible amount of noise at all times of the day.

I Don't Know How They'd Build a "Real" Stadium There
Because Rosemont is so close to O'Hare, there are extremely well regulated and permanent height restrictions on all buildings. A few high rises exist, but the stadium would never be put there, and they've been placed specifically in an area where no flight paths cross. Any modern stadium is going to be very tall, and I just don't know where they'd find free space to put such a structure. Even current Wrigley is probably too tall to put into most of the open areas I know of in Rosemont.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Plus...the Cubs will be up by 20 runs with 2 outs, 2 strikes, in the top of the 9th in game 7 of the world series when a plane would have engine failure, crash into the stadium and end the game before the last out.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#5 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Plus...the Cubs will be up by 20 runs with 2 outs, 2 strikes, in the top of the 9th in game 7 of the world series when a plane would have engine failure, crash into the stadium and end the game before the last out.

Yeah, and then we'll have to hear about the curse of the 30,000 Dead Fans Whose Souls Still Roam The Stadium for years and years and years, even though it's utter bullshit. Plenty of pitchers sprout tentacles while sitting in the dugout, and I can't count on two hands how many times pitches in Marlins Park stopped midway to the plate and exploded into a storm of shreiking apparitions.

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, and then we'll have to hear about the curse of the 30,000 Dead Fans Whose Souls Still Roam The Stadium for years and years and years, even though it's utter bullshit. Plenty of pitchers sprout tentacles while sitting in the dugout, and I can't count on two hands how many times pitches in Marlins Park stopped midway to the plate and exploded into a storm of shreiking apparitions.

That's not the pitch exploding, that's the glare from your mind attempting to erase this from itself.

Posted Image

#7 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Why can't the Cubs do something classy like that at Wrigley.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#8 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

Thus beginning Lost 2.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#9 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

My office is in Rosemont, but I live in Lakeview. I have never gone out to Rosemont to hang out. Ever. I go there for work, that is it. By contrast I find myself in Wrigleyville quite a bit. Cubs games, bars, the occassional Al's beef sandwich. There is nothing WRONG with Rosemont, but people won't go there as a destination.

Cubs marketing studies show over 1/3 of Cubs fans are coming from out of state. In a park that has 3 million ticket sales annually they are selling over 1 million tickets to out-of-staters. Sure, a lot of this is because of the WGN-created Cub fan base, but there are also quite a few baseball fans that want to see historic Wrigley Field, and quite a few tourists looking for something fun to do on a Saturday afternoon like bask in the sun with a few Buds at Wrigley.

Rosemont would never get that kind of draw. No history, no neighborhood, no ambiance like Wrigley. Just another cookie cutter park in the burbs. No way they can continue to charge 3rd highest ticket prices in baseball and $7 for an Old Style while getting 1 million plus out-of-staters to come in a and watch a team with a losing record. After the initial novelty of the park wears off the stadium will be half empty in losing seasons.

Need a historical reference take a look at DePaul basketball who moved from Lincoln Park out to Rosemont Horizon back in the 80's. Now no one shows up, they can't get local talent, and they want to move back to the city. If Cubs move to Rosemont, or any other burb, they will be looking to move back in less than 20 years.

#10 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

The stadium was half-empty for a good portion of last year.

Cubs ticket sales, historically, have been closely tied to contention. They may get a bump each year from it being in Wrigley but to say that without Wrigley there wouldn't be anyone there, is off.

At the end of the day, the Cubs still have a top-3 fan base in the nation. The best way to keep it there is to contend and continue mass distribution of the Cubs brand.

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Na, it was twice as big as it needed to be.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

So you're saying we need to build a 75,000 seat stadium in Aurora? Become the Aurora WAAAAAAAAAAAYNES?

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

So you're saying we need to build a 75,000 seat stadium in Aurora? Become the Aurora WAAAAAAAAAAAYNES?

That would be awesome. Blackouts every game. Oh, wait, I live in Bloomington, IN. I am already blacked out since I should be able to get off work and make it to a 3:05 game.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

That would be awesome. Blackouts every game. Oh, wait, I live in Bloomington, IN. I am already blacked out since I should be able to get off work and make it to a 3:05 game.

Hey, living in Des Moines, I can perform mitosis and attend a game in Minneapolis, Kansas City, St. Louis, 2 in Chicago and Milwaukee whenever I so choose.

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Hey, living in Des Moines, I can perform mitosis and attend a game in Minneapolis, Kansas City, St. Louis, 2 in Chicago and Milwaukee whenever I so choose.

Now that would cost a lot of coin. Do you go for the day or make a weekend out of it.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).