fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

It's pretty obvious that this isn't a problem for everybody as there are comments on the articles but ever since this morning I've been unable to make comments. When I click the post button it just refreshes the page and my comment doesn't show up. I'm running google chrome on Windows 7 and haven't updated anything in recent memory.

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

It's pretty obvious that this isn't a problem for everybody as there are comments on the articles but ever since this morning I've been unable to make comments. When I click the post button it just refreshes the page and my comment doesn't show up. I'm running google chrome on Windows 7 and haven't updated anything in recent memory.

Well done, Ace. Well done.

Now if you could only do your magic on ... others.

(Like that Hansman douche.)

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

It looks like your IP changed today, and it's one that's been flagged by a few services as belonging to a spammer (which you are obviously not). Did you start using a new device today? Reset your router? Anything like that?

I've manually approved your comments (they were automatically flagged and removed, and there's nothing I can do about that - the site gets approximately 2000 spam comments a day, so I can't comb through them on the regular), so that may fix the problem. If it doesn't, you may want to get a new IP.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

It looks like your IP changed today, and it's one that's been flagged by a few services as belonging to a spammer (which you are obviously not). Did you start using a new device today? Reset your router? Anything like that?

I've manually approved your comments (they were automatically flagged and removed, and there's nothing I can do about that - the site gets approximately 2000 spam comments a day, so I can't comb through them on the regular), so that may fix the problem. If it doesn't, you may want to get a new IP.

2000 spam comments a day?!

Holy shitballs.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Holy shitballs.

There are programs out there to plant them without ever even visiting the site. It's insane.

Looking, I've understated it. It's more than 10,000 a day. All not even real visitors (as in, I don't get any money from them - they just cost me money).

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I had to reset a circuit breaker (Square D - the Power of Wrigley Field!) earlier so that makes sense I'll go see if it works.

ps may I interest you in some pills that make your junk big and grow back your hair?

[edit: it's all good sorry about the triple posts in some places]

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Holy shitballs.

There are programs out there to plant them without ever even visiting the site. It's insane.

Looking, I've understated it. It's more than 10,000 a day. All not even real visitors (as in, I don't get any money from them - they just cost me money).

Wow. That's lame. Super fucking lame. What a drag for you.

How do they cost you money? Does your host charge you for the de-spamming?

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

Have you tried adding captcha? might cut down on it a little bit, and that extra effort might deter some troll from bothering with cussing somebody out

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Holy shitballs.

Wow. That's lame. Super fucking lame. What a drag for you.

How do they cost you money? Does your host charge you for the de-spamming?

No - but they consume a hugely disproportionate amount of server resources, so I have to have a much more powerful server than I might otherwise have. But it's not just BN - it's an issue with all sites like this that get to be a certain size. #SuccessProblems

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Have you tried adding captcha? might cut down on it a little bit, and that extra effort might deter some troll from bothering with cussing somebody out

This is all at a server level, so this type of spam behind the scenes never even makes it to a captcha type thing.

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

This is all at a server level, so this type of spam behind the scenes never even makes it to a captcha type thing.

Fuck them spammers, man. Fucking jerks.

#12 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

I'll bet they are Cardinal Fans. ;)
Please don't feed the psychos.

#13 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

....and Russian.

#14 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

....and Russian.

Aren't all Cardinal fans Soviets?

#15 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

....and Russian.

Aren't all Cardinal fans Soviets?

Da! Better Dead than Red.
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).