#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

So, how much trouble is the football program in? I don't mean legal or administrative, I mean: how much is this going to hurt recruiting, donations, etc.? Is the program screwed for a while?

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Twitter:@hawkeyedsm
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

It may hurt donations directly. Getting rid of JoePa will hurt the recruiting though. I realize he may not a lot of coaching, but he is the face of the program. Mind you, if Urban Meyer comes in, you may not see a dip in recruiting at all.

I heard a lawyer call into a radio show earlier today and wondered your opinions on what he said. He said that any child that was violated after the date of the "shower incident" is a potential millionaire. The lawyer said the entire University might not survive. While I think the second statement is a bit out there, what are your thoughts on the initial comment.

Finding out that you were from Ohio the other day surprised me. Now your talking about BigTen football. Please, oh please, don't tell me your a Buckeye!

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

It may hurt donations directly. Getting rid of JoePa will hurt the recruiting though. I realize he may not a lot of coaching, but he is the face of the program. Mind you, if Urban Meyer comes in, you may not see a dip in recruiting at all.

I heard a lawyer call into a radio show earlier today and wondered your opinions on what he said. He said that any child that was violated after the date of the "shower incident" is a potential millionaire. The lawyer said the entire University might not survive. While I think the second statement is a bit out there, what are your thoughts on the initial comment.

Finding out that you were from Ohio the other day surprised me. Now your talking about BigTen football. Please, oh please, don't tell me your a Buckeye!

I went to Ohio State for law school. But, no, I'm not a Buckeye fan (first, anyway). You won't like what I am much better, I suspect. I'm a hardcore MIchigan fan. It's a family thing.

As for the legal question, I can only go as far as to say there is certainly an argument that Penn State is on the hook for harm that was caused after they were on notice that that type of harm could happen in the future - and then it did happen. You can be certain PSU is (and undoubtedly has been for a while) rallying the best legal minds they can gather to work on these very issues. I wouldn't be surprised if I have some former colleagues working on it - the firm I worked at represented a number of universities in potential liability situations like this.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

This is bad all around Charlie Brown but I think it may be one of the final straws that breaks the camels back. Right now there seems to be a growing feeling/sentiment that college football is getting a big head (I want to say something else but cant think of the phrase). Between the recruiting improprieties, the atheletes who cheat through classes, the coaches who become gods at the university, I think the NCAA HAS to come out with some broad sweeping rules or their institutions are going to be perceived as thinking they are above the law and can do what they want. (goodness the little mastery of the english language that I had has completely escaped me today)

It just seems that most of college football is akin to a giant frat party and sooner or later the cops are going to have to bust it.

Any chance the PSU football team gets the "kiss of death" from the NCAA over this?

#5 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Hardcore Michigan fan, huh. Well, I am sure you don't need me to come down on you anymore and make you feel worse than you already do. It was a good game though. I think a couple of those final calls go the other way in the Big House and you guys win the game.

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hardcore Michigan fan, huh. Well, I am sure you don't need me to come down on you anymore and make you feel worse than you already do. It was a good game though. I think a couple of those final calls go the other way in the Big House and you guys win the game.

Yeah, I did enough ref poo-pooing on Twitter on Saturday, so I got it out of my system (I hate doing the ref poo-poo thing - seems so whiny). It was a tough game to swallow, but the Iowa defense was quite good, and Coker is a beast. Also, Vandenburg was reliable, safe, and spot on in his timing. Hard to beat that.

#7 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, I did enough ref poo-pooing on Twitter on Saturday, so I got it out of my system (I hate doing the ref poo-poo thing - seems so whiny). It was a tough game to swallow, but the Iowa defense was quite good, and Coker is a beast. Also, Vandenburg was reliable, safe, and spot on in his timing. Hard to beat that.

Well said. You don't see many people with the gift to lose with grace and class. I guess it comes from years of being a Cubs fan.

#8 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

I didn't even watch the game (also an Iowa fan) was working and could not bear to watch after the MN debachle. Could not believe it when I read it.

#9 Todd

Todd

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationWhale's vagina

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

So, how much trouble is the football program in? I don't mean legal or administrative, I mean: how much is this going to hurt recruiting, donations, etc.? Is the program screwed for a while?

I think the football program is going to be finished. The stench of these accusations won't fade for a long time, and by then Penn State football will be an after-thought. I'm guessing the Big 10(?) will dump them in a few years (just enough time for the dump to not look too reactionary).

I agree with the firing of JoePa. He failed as a leader, when his leadership was needed most. What I don't understand, is, why did the accountability end with Paterno? McQueen should have been fired immediately, as well. It appears he did the same half-assed reporting that Paterno did.

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

I think the football program is going to be finished. The stench of these accusations won't fade for a long time, and by then Penn State football will be an after-thought. I'm guessing the Big 10(?) will dump them in a few years (just enough time for the dump to not look too reactionary).

I agree with the firing of JoePa. He failed as a leader, when his leadership was needed most. What I don't understand, is, why did the accountability end with Paterno? McQueen should have been fired immediately, as well. It appears he did the same half-assed reporting that Paterno did.

Welcome and I agree this will put Penn State Football into the Big 10 cellar, but ultimately things will be forgotten and things will continue

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Welcome and I agree this will put Penn State Football into the Big 10 cellar, but ultimately things will be forgotten and things will continue

Yeah, it's hard to know. So far, they haven't lost too many commitments, but it's just hard to see parents wanting their kids to go unless the house is totally cleaned.

(Obviously concern for the victims is the big thing here, but I just found this to be an interesting side-angle to everything.)

#12 Todd

Todd

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationWhale's vagina

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, it's hard to know. So far, they haven't lost too many commitments, but it's just hard to see parents wanting their kids to go unless the house is totally cleaned.

(Obviously concern for the victims is the big thing here, but I just found this to be an interesting side-angle to everything.)

Thanks, goat. I hate to see something like this bring down a program that I always respected (I was born and raised in Indiana), but college football in the mid-west is in decline as-is, and I don't think Penn State will survive this and return to prominence.

Brett, it's truly a shame and my heart goes out to the victims, but I don't see any issue with discussing the program's future. However, I was actually offended to see people petitioning for Paterno to keep his job. Strange priorities, indeed.

#13 hawkboy64

hawkboy64

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

i told myself i wouldnt reply to the pennst. ignorance and shameful attitude theyve taken 2 the victims and the pats on the back that joe pa is getting and maybe he does deserve some of that good 2 come out but what his son said at the funeral makes me physically ill, my father passed away with a clear conscience are you freaking serious, com on jay paterno how would you feel about this if it had been sandusky had been abusing you and yr dad did next to nothing to stop it, and im a firm believer that indeed joe pa was a very smart n shrewd man getting his house out of his name so if the lawsuits came his wife would be protected,this whole shameful fiasco just astounds me how far it reaches and just how many times and how many ppl failed these children, but what actually amazes me the most is quite a bit of stuff has came out and the students and former players attitude tht its not their fault and the go penn st thoughts and very little thoughts that have been expressed to the victims, and i saw that they want 2 honor joe pa, i totally believe he is not deserving of this he gave his legacy away that fateful day he just played pass the buck its not my problem, well probably never know just how much h did know its just a very sad tragedy. ill get down off my soapbox ty

#14 hawkboy64

hawkboy64

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

i told myself i wouldnt reply to the pennst. ignorance and shameful attitude theyve taken 2 the victims and the pats on the back that joe pa is getting and maybe he does deserve some of that good 2 come out but what his son said at the funeral makes me physically ill, my father passed away with a clear conscience are you freaking serious, com on jay paterno how would you feel about this if it had been sandusky had been abusing you and yr dad did next to nothing to stop it, and im a firm believer that indeed joe pa was a very smart n shrewd man getting his house out of his name so if the lawsuits came his wife would be protected,this whole shameful fiasco just astounds me how far it reaches and just how many times and how many ppl failed these children, but what actually amazes me the most is quite a bit of stuff has came out and the students and former players attitude tht its not their fault and the go penn st thoughts and very little thoughts that have been expressed to the victims, and i saw that they want 2 honor joe pa, i totally believe he is not deserving of this he gave his legacy away that fateful day he just played pass the buck its not my problem, well probably never know just how much h did know its just a very sad tragedy. ill get down off my soapbox ty

srry 1 last thing and all ill say is lack of institutional control they should be placed on probation and lose scholarships

#15 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

NATIONAL SIGNING DAY UPDATE: According to Rivals they were #50, good for 7th place in the Big Ten and surprisingly ahead of Wisconsin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).