fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

they shouldn't get the football program shut down the kids on the football team went through enough and they didn't enable Sandusky. What should happen is the Department of Education should cut the University's funding and throw those who enabled Sandusky in prison

#32 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

What should happen is the Department of Education should cut the University's funding

That would be far, far worse for the current Penn State students than any sanctions against the football program. Penn State should be doing anything in their power to keep all their funding intact.

#33 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Their donations have gone through the roof. -> http://www.huffingto..._n_1659955.html

$208 mil is more than my college's entire endowment

#34 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

http://www.athletics...-than-death.htm

#35 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Interesting, but probably unnecessary. I think the NCAA has plenty of justification under the "loss of institutional control" clauses to do what needs to be done.

Of course, the state legislature is going to check in here as well. Penn State is a state funded institution. Does the state want to send state funds to a football program that is now synonymous with sheltering a child rapist? In an election year?

#36 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

I would be very pleased if they put all of Penn State's money in Pitt's coffers since I'm looking there for grad school and would like a fellowship grant

#37 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Now there's reports that the Big Ten might kick them out. Now if they kick out another team with that they'll actually be the Big Ten again. They'll probably wind up poaching somebody from the Big 12 like Kansas/K-State/Iowa State.

oh and Nick Saban recommends taxing their tickets and using that for charity but Saban is a jackass and it's not the fans fault. They should just give that $50 million they made in profit last year to start a fund to assist the victims of Sandusky's abuse. People have focused on the punitive damages, but getting kicked out of the Big Ten/NCAA does nothing to alleviate the suffering of his victims. They should try to make something positive out of one of the worst scandals in the history of American universities

#38 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Nothing done to Penn State alleviates the suffering of the victims. Nothing done to any criminal alleviates the suffering of the victims of a crime. That's not the purpose of punishments.

I'm all for making something positive out of this, but I'm also all for taking whatever measures necessary to completely destroy the culture at Penn State that placed good PR and winning football games over child safety. If that means Penn State is suspended from the Big Ten, doesn't play football for awhile, pays a few hundred million dollars into various charities, and permanently changes their colors to dull grey and black... fine. But that culture has to change. Now. And I don't think any sort of slap on the wrist will do it.

Sadly, even after the trial and the exposure, there is little sign that it is even starting to shift. Penn State is far, far more concerned over the fate of a stupid statue than they ever were over the fate of raped children. They seem to think making a public apology and giving up their bowl earnings from last season is enough to get them off the hook. It'd be sad if it weren't so utterly disgusting.

#39 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

They're going to announce sanctions tomorrow. The word "unprecedented" is being thrown around so I think that expulsion from the NCAA might be on the table... and it's almost certain the program's going to be shut down at least a year.

I'm actually hoping for that from my own selfish perspective because if that happens the players will be allowed to transfer without having to sit out for a year and Michigan (a logical place to go based on location and system) could use some more quality upperclassmen on the offensive line and help at DB next season.

#40 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I've seen several accounts that say the death penalty (shut down for a year) is not being invoked, but that the total penalties are actually worse. There are also rumors that the needs of current student athletes will be attended to, so I imagine transfers of some sort will be allowed.

Frankly, I'm skeptical that anything could be worse than the death penalty. What else can they do, take away some scholarships and make Penn State ineligible for the post season for a couple of years, like they do in the case of minor recruiting violations?

#41 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

Twitter's saying the financial penalty will be $60 million... not sure if it's being donated to charity or to the NCAA's coffers

#42 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

either way dudes come to Michigan we're scandal-free (Rich Rod era doesn't count) I'm really nervous about starting true freshmen on the offensive line

#43 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Twitter's saying the financial penalty will be $60 million... not sure if it's being donated to charity or to the NCAA's coffers

Probably through the NCAA to charity. Add that to what Penn State is likely to owe in lawsuit settlements, and I'd not be surprised to see total damages exceed a quarter billion.

Hopefully that's only the beginning. I'm still afraid the NCAA is going to let them go with a slap on the wrist and a promise to behave. Because we all know how well that works at discouraging schools from committing recruiting violations.

#44 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

No death penalty, multi year bowl ban, and scholarship reductions.

I don't think the NCAA will use the death penalty against a D-I program ever again. Though, if the most recent allegations are true (they were gettin paid last season, too) then they probably should or lose all integrity since the U has been basically out of control since before I was even born. Since SMU they've only used it against tiny colleges: Moorehouse soccer for having players who played professionally before they were signed play even before they were enrolled and MacMurray for scholarship fraud since Div III forbids academic scholarships--I had a friend from HS who played football on a "music" scholarship so I'm guessing this is pretty widespread.

This is a completely different scandal from recent scandals like Ohio State, Miami, North Carolina, etc because in each of those instances players on the team knowingly engaged in either receiving impermissible benefits or academic fraud. The crimes were committed by the administration and staff. If they do not allow waivers on transferring I would be shocked and disappointed since not a single player on the team committed any wrongdoing.

#45 hawkboy64

hawkboy64

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

once again the NCAA choked when they had the chance to send a clear message to penn.st I mean come on smu got the death penalty for recruiting violations and lack if institutional control and if there's ever been a case of that penn.st is it, 100% should have been the death penalty. if the big ten had any cahunas they'd boot penn.st from the league but that won't happen bc if the money penn.st still will make, whatever happened to ideals and doing the right thing. Stepping down from my soapbox now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).