MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

I am not satisfied with the punishment handed down, yes it cripples the program for years but they will still make money through football. The biggest punishment is the removal of win from JoePa's record. I just wished they would've shut down the program for at least three years, but this is a major punishment but I just don't like the idea of the program being able to operate in any capacity. This is the worse scandal to hit College Sports I wish the punishment would have been devastating.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#47 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I was looking for a punishment that would completely destroy the 'football is more important than anything' mystique at Penn State, and I don't think this will do it.

Hopefully these penalties guarantee that Penn State is such a horrible football team that the fans can't be paid to attend games for a few seasons. That might be the best that can be hoped for, I guess.

#48 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

I was looking for a punishment that would completely destroy the 'football is more important than anything' mystique at Penn State, and I don't think this will do it.

Hopefully these penalties guarantee that Penn State is such a horrible football team that the fans can't be paid to attend games for a few seasons. That might be the best that can be hoped for, I guess.

did you catch any of the NCAA press conference this morning? NCAA pres said over and over again the point of these sanctions was do to exactly what you said and stop "hero worshiping" at schools and allowing one man to be bigger than football". it's up for debate whether or not these sanctions do that, but they handed him out with that goal in mind.

#49 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

did you catch any of the NCAA press conference this morning? NCAA pres said over and over again the point of these sanctions was do to exactly what you said and stop "hero worshiping" at schools and allowing one man to be bigger than football". it's up for debate whether or not these sanctions do that, but they handed him out with that goal in mind.

Thats actually my problem with these sanctions: they seem to be punishing the legend and history of JoePa (which I agree deserved to be punished since he ignored all this for years) more than actually punishing the university and football program. Yes, these sanctions will cripple the Penn State football program but it will allow the program and the school to recover. I just really hoped that the NCAA would've dropped the guillotine and destroyed the program and showed the world how disgusting the whole scandal has been to collegiate sports.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#50 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

I was not able to catch any of the press conference this morning, and I haven't had time to do much more than read up on the actual sanctions.

It's good to hear that the NCAA wants to break that culture. I'm skeptical that these sanctions will do so, but I suppose that remains to be seen.

#51 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

indeed. we shall see.

#52 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

ugh the reaction by Penn State fans are disgusting. Like, really? "Joe Pa didn't deserve this his legacy is being wiped away ETC" They were CRYING as the statue was torn down. hey you got a problem with that PSU fans?

try looking the other way for 14 years

Hero worship in general is never a good idea. My childhood hero mutated into this abomination:

Posted Image

#53 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

Take a gander at some of these reactions from people on twitter:
http://dailybigten.c...ate-punishment/

#54 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

I find it disgusting that some Penn State fans are crass enough to compare these punishments to rape. I don't think the punishment was enough, but hopefully I'm wrong. I don't think anyone who was involved with the cover up should ever be allowed to have any influence over the youths of this country ever again. I hope all those people who "remember the games, and you can't take that away", also remember why those wins were taken away.

#55 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

so where should they put the Joe Paterno statue now that it's been removed?

the obvious choice would be the Vatican.
the sleeper candidate is the library that's still named after him... to remind people to stay quiet.

I'm here all night. Tip your server

#56 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

If there's room in the sewer system, I'd be in favor.

Though in all honest, by the library wouldn't be bad. Just change "Humanitarian" to "Hypocrite" on the base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).