#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

Cubs Fact:

Jack Brickhouse broadcast the Cubs from 1948 to 1981, and received the Ford C. Frick Award for broadcast excellence from the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1983.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

I have 2 questions. First, I vaguely recall reading that Brickhouse first broadcast the Cubs in 1940 or 1941. If true, it presumably was not a regular broadcast or was radio---or my memory is bad. Does anyone recall anything like that?
Second, an earlier trivia question noted that regular Cubs TV broadcasts started in April 1946. Who was the announcer in 1946 & 1947? I don't know the answer.

#3 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

The calendar is wrong. First, Brickhouse started broadcasting the Cubs games on radio in 1940-43. Second, he broadcast Cubs games on TV in 1947---but on WBKB. WGN did not broadcast TV until 1948, at which time Brickhouse became the WGN TV announcer. I still do not know who was the Cubs TV broadcaster in 1946.

#4 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

From Tales of a Bad Century:

"In the first televised Cubs game, the National League pennant flag was raised. That hasn't happened at Wrigley Field a single time since. The date was April 20, 1946, and WBKB-TV broadcast that first game with Whispering Joe Wilson behind the microphone.
The Cubs lost 2-0.

The Cubs appeared on WGN for the first time on April 16, 1948, and Jack Brickhouse was the announcer for that game.

The Cubs lost that one too, 4-1.

Posted ImageThe 1948 Cubs may have been the worst team in Cubs history. They finished 27 1/2 games out of first place, and inspired this memorable painting by Norman Rockwell. Brickhouse would remain their announcer for 33 more years, and never once broadcast a Cubs team that won so much as a division.

In 1949, there were three television stations covering the Cubs. Whispering Joe Wilson on WBKB-TV, Jack Brickhouse on WGN, and Rogers Hornsby on WENR. (WGN didn't get exclusive rights until 1952). There were afternoons when those stations were the only three television stations on the air in Chicago, and the Cubs were broadcast on all three.

The Cubs lost the first game broadcast on all three channels, 1-0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).