#1 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I watched the game today and was mostly impressed (except with our offense's strikeout totals) with how we did today. But I had a bad feeling when Marmol came into the 9th with a lead. And he did not make me worry any less once he started pitching. For starters, the man kept throwing the damn ball into the dirt and a couple didn't even reach home plate. Then, when he actually didn't hit the dirt with the baseball, he was hitting McCutchen and allowed a single that scored McCutchen. Finally, Marmol looked really out of shape. Maybe he had too many of Hansman's cheeseburgers or something, because that guy was not in the same shape that he was last year. Is he trying not to get traded?

#2 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

I had a bad feeling when Marmol came into the 9th with a lead. And he did not make me worry any less once he started pitching. For starters, the man kept throwing the damn ball...

This. For a year now. This.

#3 Diamondrock

Diamondrock

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

In all seriousness, what are we going to do with Marmol? Like Brett said in the recap, this one outing has probably destroyed any trade value he might have had. And we can't continue to have him "save" games. We're going to lose enough as it is without Marmol helping us along.

So what are the real, serious options? Does he get moved to a setup position? Released? Sent to the minors? I'm very serious here. It seems clear to me (albeit on a very slim sample) that Fujikawa has at least some of the stuff that Marmol has lost (or never had). I think Fujikawa can make for a fine closer for the Cubs. But Marmol has to go, first. How does it happen?

#4 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

In all seriousness, what are we going to do with Marmol? Like Brett said in the recap, this one outing has probably destroyed any trade value he might have had.

One outing doesn't destroy value unless a guy walks off the mound injured. Teams are too smart nowadays to base their entire view of a guy on one day. He's been wild his whole career, this isn't a revelation by any means.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

This post I created is partial humor and partial genuine concern. Fingers crossed that Marmol steps it up this year.

#6 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

The 9th inning was the only point in today's game that I was happy I had to work this morning and had to DVR the game. That way I was able to fast forward straight to Russel. I know one outing doesn't change his value, but a bad month or two will. I've had a few drinks today, but it seemed like his velocity was down or the fastball was just lifeless, and the sliders that weren't crazy in the dirt seemed to just hang in the middle of the zone. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but wow was he awful.

Also, I really wasn't thrilled about seeing the Shark pitching in the 8th. Just seemed unnecessary on a cold day in April. He sure was a pleasure to watch after that first at bat though.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#7 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

When I saw Marmol pitching in a ST game I swear to God, I had Alfonseca flashbacks. I'm no dainty lass but he's put on a lot of weight. His pitches had no giddy up. How long do they keep giving him the ball?!
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

When I saw Marmol pitching in a ST game I swear to God, I had Alfonseca flashbacks. I'm no dainty lass but he's put on a lot of weight. His pitches had no giddy up. How long do they keep giving him the ball?!

Okay good, it wasn't just me. That dude just isn't in the same shape he was last year.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

The 9th inning was the only point in today's game that I was happy I had to work this morning and had to DVR the game. That way I was able to fast forward straight to Russel. I know one outing doesn't change his value, but a bad month or two will. I've had a few drinks today, but it seemed like his velocity was down or the fastball was just lifeless, and the sliders that weren't crazy in the dirt seemed to just hang in the middle of the zone. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but wow was he awful.

Also, I really wasn't thrilled about seeing the Shark pitching in the 8th. Just seemed unnecessary on a cold day in April. He sure was a pleasure to watch after that first at bat though.

By the way happy belated birthday.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 Coldneck

Coldneck

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationDerby City

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

The thing about Marmol is that he is fully capable of putting a long stretch of dominance together. This was one outing followed by a couple of poor spring outings. I’m willing to give him some rope considering his second half of last season. He may struggle to find his command, but when he does he’s quite good.

#11 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

The thing about Marmol is that he is fully capable of putting a long stretch of dominance together. This was one outing followed by a couple of poor spring outings. I’m willing to give him some rope considering his second half of last season. He may struggle to find his command, but when he does he’s quite good.

Seems like such a roll of the dice though.

#12 Coldneck

Coldneck

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationDerby City

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

This team doesn't have much to lose. We need a dominant Marmol if we're going to compete. We need a dominant Marmol if we're going to trade him for something of value. The Cubs need to be patient with him regardless of what we fans think.

#13 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

This team doesn't have much to lose. We need a dominant Marmol if we're going to compete. We need a dominant Marmol if we're going to trade him for something of value. The Cubs need to be patient with him regardless of what we fans think.

But can he provide just as much value in the 7th or 8th inning? Does he have to be the closer?

#14 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

But can he provide just as much value in the 7th or 8th inning? Does he have to be the closer?

It depends what you think his problem is. If it's getting rattled on the mound, then he would have more value in the 7th or 8th. If yesterday was more of a case of simple command, then he is going to suck anywhere in the pen.

Samardzija said he was having some issues with command and his pitches. Now, someone who is decent at it to begin with is only marginally affected when it's cold.

Someone like Marmol, might be greatly affected by the cold.

#15 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

I agree with Brett though, can't we just have him do the 7th and the 8th to build up his confidence? I think his value will increase more that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).