Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Hey everyone,

as some of you might know, I've been trying to do the blog thing recently, and a big part of that is going to be prospect videos. I'm not going to shamelessly plug my site here, but I did throw a quick video of Rock Shoulders' home run this evening up onto YouTube. (future videos will be more in-depth and everything, but this works for a short clip I think)

#2 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

That swing qualifies as sweet.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Nice!

#4 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Video of another one

#5 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

With a name like Rock Shoulders, he was destined to play in "The City of Broad Shoulders"

Well...it's nice to dream on, anyway.

#6 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

With a name like Rock Shoulders, he was destined to play in "The City of Broad Shoulders"

Well...it's nice to dream on, anyway.

absolutely. and he's a long shot to make it, but he's looked extremely good in the games I've seen him in. If he can keep the k's down he's got a shot

#7 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

I know that they try to avoid skipping guys this age a level, but Shoulders is doing everything right. Any chance of leap frogging him to AA? It's not like there's a meaningful 1B prospect there.

I mean how much more advanced are the pitchers at AA vs. those in A+? Granted, he'll face some tougher and more advanced prospects, but what percent of the pitchers at each level account for that vs. those who are advanced year after year based on age rather than progress? Obviously those making 0 progress and werent impressive to begin with will be cut, but as for the rest, are the AA fillers really much more advanced than A+ filler?

#8 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

I think it would be very, very difficult to jump right to AA. Daytona is in a pitcher's league, and that alone makes it worthwhile for him to spend time there.

The mid-rotation starters in the MWL become filler in the FSL, so he'll be facing a far more advanced group of pitchers there who all have good command of their fastball and developing feel for their secondary stuff. Shoulders may currently be feasting on mistakes, and he'll see far fewer of those in the FSL.

The jump from high-A to AA is enormous. In AA all of the pitchers can command their breaking stuff pretty well, the stuff is much better, and lots of them are at their last stop before they hit the MLB. The jump to AA is one of the hardest for hitters to manage, so I don't think there's much of a chance Rock could hold his own there. Besides, it's not like he's old for high-A yet, so no reason to push him so far right away.

#9 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Also, there are real holes in Rock's swing right now that AA pitchers would exploit like no other. Remember, Javier Baez has had extraordinary struggles in the FSL so far because of the holes in his swing. A lesser prospect like Shoulders would have a very tough time skipping that level

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).