#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

Cubs Trivia:

Can you name the five Cubs players to win the National League Rookie of the Year Award?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Billy Williams
Kerry Wood
Jerome Williams
Geovany Soto
last one escapes me... Spriggs it's all you

#3 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

Ken Hubbs, I believe.

#4 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

FromtheMitten means Jerome Walton (not Williams).

The 5th ROY was the year after (or before) Walton.

#5 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Stinky is right. Hubbs is correct for the 5th. He and Billy had back to back ROYs

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

The 5th ROY was the year after (or before) Walton.

Are you thinking of Dwight Smith? Pretty sure he and Walton came in first and second in 89. Mel Hall came close too (around 1983?) - I think he finished 2nd to Daryl Strawberry.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Team effort today, good job!

Answer:
Billy - 1961
Hubbs - 1962 (man, sustained success at its finest)
Jerome Walton - 1989
Kid K - 1998
Geo - 2008

I was able to guess 3 of them (Billy, Kerry, Geo).

#8 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Answer:
Billy - 1961
Jerome Walton - 1989
Kid K - 1998
Geo - 2008

I think you would have to say that besides Billy, after their rookie years - none of them panned out as hoped. Hubbs of course, through no fault of his own. And although Wood had his moments, I would even say they were big disappointments. Fair to say?

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Answer:
Billy - 1961
Jerome Walton - 1989
Kid K - 1998
Geo - 2008

I think you would have to say that besides Billy, after their rookie years - none of them panned out as hoped. Hubbs of course, through no fault of his own. And although Wood had his moments, I would even say they were big disappointments. Fair to say?

Sure, although I bet fans were pretty high after 1962 with back-to-back RoY. Geo wasn't nearly as bad as some people believe. While he was on the "every other year I am going to care and play well" plan, his OPS+ was increasing as he went along. Not sure what happened last year though.

#10 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

OCCubFan, on 09 April 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

Spriggs:

The 5th ROY was the year after (or before) Walton.Are you thinking of Dwight Smith? Pretty sure he and Walton came in first and second in 89. Mel Hall came close too (around 1983?) - I think he finished 2nd to Daryl Strawberry.
Yup. You not only got the answer correct, you also untangled my mangled memory.

Edited by OCCubFan, 09 April 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#11 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Answer:
Billy - 1961
Jerome Walton - 1989
Kid K - 1998
Geo - 2008

Sure, although I bet fans were pretty high after 1962 with back-to-back RoY. Geo wasn't nearly as bad as some people believe. While he was on the "every other year I am going to care and play well" plan, his OPS+ was increasing as he went along. Not sure what happened last year though.

Fans were very hopeful around the 1962 era. Not only was there Billy and Hubbs, but remember that Santo was already showing his greatness too and was 4th in ROY voting the year before Billy won. Banks was considered to still be in his prime (pretty much) though he moved to 1B in 62. Lou Brock was of course considered a huge raw talent. George Altman had back to back all-star seasons (61 and 62). A starting OF of Altman, Brock, and Williams was promising to say the least. There was lots of hope that Andre Rodgers (who looking back was probably similar to Ronnie Cedeno!) would take over for Banks quite capably at SS and that Dick Bertell was becoming an all-star caliber catcher!

And pitching -- Dick Ellsworth was a young lefty who was about to lead the league in ERA and win 22 games (in 63?). Larry Jackson would lead the league in wins in 1964 with 24. They had veterans like Bob Buhl and Don Cardwell who were no slouches. The hope of hyped guys like Dick Drott (who blew out his arm in his outstanding rookie season in 1957 - and was a Prior character for the next few years), Hammond Indiana guy - Bob Anderson and of course Glen Hobbie. No doubt others that I am forgetting - like Calvin Koonce! There was a lot of pitching talent, some overlapped and most disappointed, but there was a ton of optimism about those teams.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Fans were very hopeful around the 1962 era. Not only was there Billy and Hubbs, but remember that Santo was already showing his greatness too and was 4th in ROY voting the year before Billy won. Banks was considered to still be in his prime (pretty much) though he moved to 1B in 62. Lou Brock was of course considered a huge raw talent. George Altman had back to back all-star seasons (61 and 62). A starting OF of Altman, Brock, and Williams was promising to say the least. There was lots of hope that Andre Rodgers (who looking back was probably similar to Ronnie Cedeno!) would take over for Banks quite capably at SS and that Dick Bertell was becoming an all-star caliber catcher!

And pitching -- Dick Ellsworth was a young lefty who was about to lead the league in ERA and win 22 games (in 63?). Larry Jackson would lead the league in wins in 1964 with 24. They had veterans like Bob Buhl and Don Cardwell who were no slouches. The hope of hyped guys like Dick Drott (who blew out his arm in his outstanding rookie season in 1957 - and was a Prior character for the next few years), Hammond Indiana guy - Bob Anderson and of course Glen Hobbie. No doubt others that I am forgetting - like Calvin Koonce! There was a lot of pitching talent, some overlapped and most disappointed, but there was a ton of optimism about those teams.

So what happened? (And I'm not being snide.) The teams in the early 60's just never able to put it together? Cause looking at those teams on B-R, man, some of them were really, really *bad*.

In fact, it seems the Cubs were incredibly bad up until '67, and then after a few years of decency, culminating in the '69 implosion, they went back to alternating between mediocrity and sucking for the next 15 years.

#13 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

So what happened? (And I'm not being snide.) The teams in the early 60's just never able to put it together? Cause looking at those teams on B-R, man, some of them were really, really *bad*.

In fact, it seems the Cubs were incredibly bad up until '67, and then after a few years of decency, culminating in the '69 implosion, they went back to alternating between mediocrity and sucking for the next 15 years.

That's a good question, TWC. It's inexplicable. It seems that Cubs fans have been asking it ever since I can remember, and about many different Cubs eras. In the late 50s, the Cubs had a roster full of great pitching talent coming up. I've already mentioned Drott and Hobbie. But there was also Drabowsky and "toothpick" Jones (of no-hitter fame) and Bob Anderson and Ellsworth. These guys were supposed to be really good. It was similar in some ways to the coming core of pitching talent we saw in the early 2000's.... Zambrano, Prior, Wood, Cruz, Guzman, Clement.

But in the early 60's, when position players started coming up to match the pitching talent, there was tons of optimism. I can still recall it after all these years. How one by one, things started to unravel. Drott never regained his arm (probably things like rotator cuff injuries weren't diagnosed then - they just called it dead arm). Same with Hobbie. He flat out blew after a while. Andre Rodgers couldn't hit and couldn't field. Hubbs died. Altman's bat faded a little, then they traded him. Brock happened. Banks injuries slowed him and changed him as a player. He was no longer great. They began to blow and couldn't reverse it until 1967. That's when Jenkins, Hands, and Holtzman came in made up a very good pitching staff (Niekro and Nye were also showing promise). That culminated in the 69 season, which they absolutely dominated until August. Then it was never the same. What happened?

What happened to the great 1984 team after they blew their 2 game lead against SD. why didn't they ever compete for another title? What happened?

And like I said, what happened to the 2000 era pitching staff? - which was a staff I thought would be competing for titles for a long time.

Are they all just different versions of the same thing destined to be repeated again and again? I sure hope not.

#14 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hubbs died.

That sure will put a damper on one's ability.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#15 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

It seems that Cubs fans have been asking it ever since I can remember, and about many different Cubs eras. In the late 50s, the Cubs had a roster full of great pitching talent coming up. ...

[I]n the early 60's, when position players started coming up to match the pitching talent, there was tons of optimism. ... What happened?

What happened to the great 1984 team ...?

[W]hat happened to the 2000 era pitching staff?

*sigh*

And yet, here we are, again, in 2013.

Go Cubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).