Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

... to give a shit about.

Considering that there are several hours a day in which the Cubs do not play, but other teams do, and considering that I've paid for access to nearly every game this season, I'm wondering if it's worth even feigning an interest in another team. Probably an AL team.

In all honesty, the quality of their radio announcers is pretty damn high on my list of important things about any new team that I'd listen to.

Any thoughts?

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

Rays, man. They have DJ Kitty.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I would have thought Oakland would be the obvious choice considering your proximity.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Royals or Indians. Cause they suck, too.

#5 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Honestly though, if I picked a second team, I wouldn't care about them a tenth as much as I do about the Cubs. Not worth it.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Honestly though, if I picked a second team, I wouldn't care about them a tenth as much as I do about the Cubs. Not worth it.

Totally. I just want a distraction that involves baseball.

edit: now that I think about it, it's probably time to dig out/update the Cubs' minor league affiliates' radio links. That got me some front page coverage last year!

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

I would have thought Oakland would be the obvious choice considering your proximity.

Yeah, trouble is (IIRC) that their radio announcers suck ass. I might be misremembering.

#8 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, trouble is (IIRC) that their radio announcers suck ass. I might be misremembering.

They're rated above average, according to Fangraphs' crowd-sourcing project:

http://www.fangraphs...tv-master-list/

If I didn't know better, I'd point out to you the team with the highest rated radio broadcast team, but I know you're opinion on that particular team already.

I tend to choose secondary teams based on pure jealously. For instance, I like to watch the Rangers, because I covet, like, all their players.

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd point out to you the team with the highest rated radio broadcast team, but I know you're opinion on that particular team already.

Jon Miller is fantastically fantastic.

But fuck the fucking Giants.

I have watched a few Rangers games this season for precisely the reason you mention. Haven't yet checked out their radio team.

#10 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I suggest the Angels. They are almost always fundamentally sound and, in contrast to the Cubs, have a lot of speed. Following Trout, Pujols, Trumbo, etc., can't be bad.

#11 medler312

medler312

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I watch/listen to a lot of baseball. The Cubs are obviously a daily occurrence, but I will do some flipping around the MLB At Bat subscription. I am very fond of their application for my computer because the radio broadcasts are streamed with the TV broadcasts. FWIW, I find the TV guys for most ML teams to be below the standards of the radio guys.

So these are my rankings (1-10) of my favorite teams to watch in order (excluding the Cubs)
1. Red Sox
2. Dodgers
3. Giants
4. Reds
5. Mariners
6. Yankees
7. Brewers
8. Twins
9. Rangers
10. Orioles

I probably watch these teams more than any other MLB teams. I like their radio guys, the general feel of their stadium (I cannot stand to watch Tampa, Oakland, and Toronto because of their stadiums...it's a shame because Tampa and Oakland can be fun to watch).

Anyway...that was a good time waster.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I watched most of the LA/SD game last night.

Boy oh boy, are the San Diego announcers bad. Dick Enberg's okay-ish, but the color guy and the two dugout/sideline idiots they have (Mark Sweeney and a blonde lady) are fucking awful. They clearly don't listen to the upstairs booth so when a question is thrown to them, their "answers" have no relation to what was asked. Just idiocy.

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Boy oh boy, are the San Diego announcers bad. Dick Enberg's okay-ish, but the color guy and the two dugout/sideline idiots they have (Mark Sweeney and a blonde lady) are fucking awful. They clearly don't listen to the upstairs booth so when a question is thrown to them, their "answers" have no relation to what was asked. Just idiocy.

Maybe they were listening but also following the Women in Baseball thread and were following the flow of the thread instead.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Maybe they were listening but also following the Women in Baseball thread and were following the flow of the thread instead.

What do you guys think of blueberry pie?

#15 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

For me it'd be the Indians. Francona.
He's got a gift. Old school/New school blend. Gets the most out of the men on his roster (he made Manny R. functional--for baseball). He makes me laugh in post-game interviews.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).