Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I watched most of the LA/SD game last night.

Boy oh boy, are the San Diego announcers bad. Dick Enberg's okay-ish, but the color guy and the two dugout/sideline idiots they have (Mark Sweeney and a blonde lady) are fucking awful. They clearly don't listen to the upstairs booth so when a question is thrown to them, their "answers" have no relation to what was asked. Just idiocy.

Maybe they were listening but also following the Women in Baseball thread and were following the flow of the thread instead.

What do you guys think of blueberry pie?

I prefer apple.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#17 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Boy oh boy, are the San Diego announcers bad. Dick Enberg's okay-ish, but the color guy and the two dugout/sideline idiots they have (Mark Sweeney and a blonde lady) are fucking awful. They clearly don't listen to the upstairs booth so when a question is thrown to them, their "answers" have no relation to what was asked. Just idiocy.

Maybe they were listening but also following the Women in Baseball thread and were following the flow of the thread instead.

I prefer apple.

Eh, hard-boiled egg pie has it's merits...

#18 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

I prefer apple.

Eh, hard-boiled egg pie has it's merits...

Much better than Felix Pie.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#19 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

In all seriousness, my listing of "caring-ness" of teams:
  • Cubs
  • Rays
  • A's
  • Yankees
  • Rangers
  • Royals
  • Nationals
  • Indians
  • Astros
  • Braves
  • Twins
  • Tigers
  • Rockies
  • Mariners
  • Giants
  • Phillies
  • Pirates
  • Blue Jays
  • Red Sox
  • Diamondbacks
  • Angels
  • Reds
  • Padres
  • Orioles
  • Mets
  • Dodgers
  • Brewers
  • The Devil's team
  • NL All-Stars
  • AL All-Stars
  • Old-Timers
  • East Futures
  • West Futures
  • The end of baseball forever
  • Ban on hamburgers
  • BN closing forever
  • Glenn Beck becoming President
  • Mars slamming into the Earth
  • No more Veronica Mars re-runs
  • Being forced to watch "Mission to Mars" a thousand times
  • Renaming myself Mars Barz
  • Pissing off Jorge Soler
  • Being sucked into a black hole
  • Marlins
  • White Sox
  • Cardinals

#20 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'm kinda thinking it needs to be a west coast team, so I can actually enjoy night games and not have them interrupt dinner/kid's bedtime.

Maybe Seattle? Anyone know how their announcers are?

#21 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

For me it'd be the Indians. Francona.
He's got a gift. Old school/New school blend. Gets the most out of the men on his roster (he made Manny R. functional--for baseball). He makes me laugh in post-game interviews.

Yeah people looped out on painkillers are pretty entertaining sometimes

#22 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Tito often made me laugh when he was talking to the press. He would stay on corporate message, protect his players, answer an intelligent question directly, evade mean-spirited baiting, and tell a joke--sometimes all in a single sentence.

"Looped" people aren't very good at any of that.

I am no Tito, but I can stay objective enough to know that my opinion of the man may be prejudiced in his favor by two World Series trophies.

Hope we can both feel the same way about Sveum soon, mitten.

#23 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Seattle used to have a great radio team. And by used to, I mean back when Griffey was playing there. I have no idea what they're like now.

Can't really go wrong with the minor league games, though. Tennessee in particular has a pretty good play by play guy.

On the East Coast, I've caught some Baltimore games. That crew pales in comparison to Pat Hughes, but they're alright.

Why not just listen to the visiting team broadcast for whoever is playing the Giants or As until you get a feel for which teams have the better crews?

#24 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Seattle used to have a great radio team. And by used to, I mean back when Griffey was playing there. I have no idea what they're like now.

Can't really go wrong with the minor league games, though. Tennessee in particular has a pretty good play by play guy.

On the East Coast, I've caught some Baltimore games. That crew pales in comparison to Pat Hughes, but they're alright.

Why not just listen to the visiting team broadcast for whoever is playing the Giants or As until you get a feel for which teams have the better crews?

Good idea, Luke.

If I were in California, I'd have to go with the A's (if only because of the Bash Brothers, Eckersley and the 89 WS).

#25 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

The trouble w/ following Oakland is that I'm blacked out of their TV broadcasts. I'd like to be able to watch a game (occasionally). Years back, before convenient WiFi and the MLB Gameday Audio package, I'd frequently listen to Oakland games on an AM radio while doing stuff in the garden. I'll probably check them out again this weekend.

During yesterday's Cubs pregame, as they were playing highlights of games from around the league, I caught about 15 seconds of the Baltimore game and it nearly make me throw my iPhone across the office. Not sure if it was a TV or a radio highlight, but their play-by-play guy was a hyperventilating buffoon.

#26 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Could go Dbacks and have Bob back? No idea on their radio guys but i love Brenly and they are a pretty good team. Is it bad to root for a team (when they arent playing the Cubs) just because of their announcer?

#27 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Growing up in Michigan I have a lot of friends who are Tigers fans (you can DM me on twitter for a REALLY fun story about my last Tigers game that you'd really enjoy TWC).  They are really fun to watch I remember somebody accurately describing them being like a softball team (a bunch of fat guys bashing home runs and playing lousy defense).  Their team average is in the .300s and they have very few holes in their lineup if VMart comes back from his injury.  Not to mention Verlander and Scherzer have electric stuff and they have some really good youngsters in the minors.

#28 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Is it bad to root for a team (when they arent playing the Cubs) just because of their announcer?

No!  I mean, that's 51% of my quest here.

#29 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Is it bad to root for a team (when they arent playing the Cubs) just because of their announcer?

I say go Dbacks. Everyone loves Brenly

#30 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

I say go Dbacks. Everyone loves Brenly

I actually watched a bit of the Diamondbacks game over the weekend.  Their TV team is pretty good -- MILES better than when Grace and (who?) were calling games.  Those were awful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).