TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

I actually found myself looking at flights this afternoon. I'm not so sure that I'm that insane... Haven't been back in a few years. Heck, I haven't seen snow since 2003. Hmm...

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

You know you want to hang with the Brettster.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

Really wish I could get there, and I could afford the drive and tickets. BUT I don't have the bank to enjoy the memorabilia, hotel, food, and especially all the beer I'd have to drink while there.

Anybody want to sponsor a goat?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

Thankfully I have some relatives to stay with otherwise I wouldn't be going either. After memorabilia, food, and tickets, I probably shouldn't have done it, but I'm just too excited for this year. Any words of advice for a first time Cubs Convention attendee?

#5 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

Anyone wanna sponsor a bitch named Katie? I drink a lot, use foul language and smoke but other than that I'm a delight. Eh, not so much.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Anyone wanna sponsor a bitch named Katie? I drink a lot, use foul language and smoke but other than that I'm a delight. Eh, not so much.

See Mom, I knew my female alter ego did exist!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

Thankfully I have some relatives to stay with otherwise I wouldn't be going either. After memorabilia, food, and tickets, I probably shouldn't have done it, but I'm just too excited for this year. Any words of advice for a first time Cubs Convention attendee?

Sponsor Katie and me?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#8 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Ha! Love it! Are you a shit stirrer too? Apparently I am this evening. I hope Brett doesn't put me in time out.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Ha! Love it! Are you a shit stirrer too? Apparently I am this evening. I hope Brett doesn't put me in time out.

Just ignore BetterNews from now on he's quickly becoming a die hard clone

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#10 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:06 AM

Just ignore BetterNews from now on he's quickly becoming a die hard clone

I actually thought BetterNews and die hard were related. Must be a ball at those Tidrow family reunions.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

Meant to post this a while ago, but I'm a douche and let it hang. A friend of the site emailed me his Convention memories/tips/thoughts, and I thought they might be useful to any other first-timers out there:

I just wanted to say that I went to the Cubs Convention last year for the first time myself. (Love em even with low expectations). I’ll put the rest in bullet style manner in honor of my favorite cub’s site.

-Stayed at the Hilton for both nights. It was a decent deal and clean. It would have been possible to stay elsewhere and still not miss anything. Nothing started before 9 AM and nothing besides the Rock ‘n’ Roll Revue ran past 6 PM.

-The convention was really only one full day. Friday and Sunday were both kinda wind up and wind down days.

-Friday was basically the opening ceremonies, would highly recommend getting a seat early. Good stuff from Rickets last year. I can only imagine it this year from Theo this year and it will be packed.

- After the opening they had an autograph treasure hunt (so so players). After that the choices started… Cubs Bingo and WGN Sports Night. Would have liked to gone to the WGNSN but the prizes for bingo were wow. Two different rooms and the same time.

- They had three “Main Rooms” and seven “Stages”. Main rooms had events going on at different times, and the stages were for signatures and photos. (I really hope you plan on spending most of your time around the main rooms though.) If you want signatures you can find someone to take care of that for ya.

- Lines for Stages were Disney long ….. Long... (Not trying to detour you… Really… Hours….)

-That’s it for Friday, unless you wanna head to the bar to drink with the older cubs. (Fun times)

-Saturday the Rickets had a forum at 9 AM, and then the three rooms started their activities. Ranging from baseball management, pitching staff, business management, day to day life of a cub, Dominican players, remembering Ronnie, and others. Most overlap. (I wouldn’t mind going to one or two and recording it or something for ya if needed.) More than a few seminars would end in a Q&A though.

-Sunday started at 9 AM and was over by Noon. Funny, check out time was 11:30 or something.

-I didn’t have a problem spending money I guess. There are shops downstairs that really do have good deals and great memorabilia. They also have a silent auction. I got Jon Cusack and Jeff Garlin signed baseball and signed “Take me out to the ballgame” song sheets.

- I’m sure that it will be different this year and none of that will pertain to anything, but that’s my experience in a nutshell. It wasn’t what I expected… it was more of a relaxing weekend instead of a high energy. It was also great to be around so many “Cub fans”. More than just going to a game, you’re going to a convention. Still have drunk dumbasses though.

And then a follow-up:

-[For a BN get-together]: There are two bars downstairs in the Hilton, one is Hilton’s bar and the other is Kitty O’Sheas. Kitty’s is where all the old players go to drink after the convention but Hilton’s lounge will be more accessible and manageable.

-The Cubs have their own Locker Room Auction in the lower level on Sunday I believe, where you can pick up game used equipment fairly cheap.

-If you stay at the Hilton. You were allowed up to 4 tickets per room, I think this year its 6 maybe. Just two of us went last year but we bought all 4 tickets so that we could get the scratch off tickets that came with your ticket to the convention. The scratch offs are for more attractive autographs sessions. Good plan if you’re a collector.

-Kids have special events and activities throughout the weekend. (If someone get stuck doing the whole family thing.)

-Last year the Bears were in the playoffs and staying at the hotel the weekend of the convention. Maybe the same thing this year?

#12 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Aren't they mailing out the passes soon?

#13 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

Aren't they mailing out the passes soon?

Not sure. I did the hotel deal, so I'll get my passes there.

The Mrs. is coming, too.

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

So due to my (eye roll) family-oriented Chicago trip this summer, I won't be at the Cubs Convention. One you you kids with an iPhone want to FaceTime me in? You don't have to talk to me, just put your phone in your shirt pocket and point it at the panelist/speakers/etc. And, please, don't forget to pause the feed when you hit the can, 'mkay?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).