Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Strike while the injury bug is hot!

APRIL

Darwin Barney to Toronto for

C A.J. Jimenez (AA) #11

JUNE

Matt Garza, David DeJesus and Dioner Navarro to Kansas City for

1. RHSP Kyle Zimmer (A+) #2 

2. RHSP Yordano Ventura (AA) #3 (possible closer)

3. Catcher Cam Gallagher (A) #13

4. LHSP Chris Dwyer (AAA) #16

5. 2B Angel Franco (AA)

Alfonso Soriano + cash considerations + PTBNL to Cincinnati for

LHSP Tony Cingrani (AAA) #3

JULY

Nate Schierholtz to Oakland for

LF Shane Peterson (AAA)

Scott Feldman and Scott Baker to Pittsburgh for

CL Bryan Morris (AAA) #14

Shawn Camp and Ian Stewart to Detroit for

C Ramon Cabrera (AA) #19

Scott Hairston and Carlos Marmol + cash considerations to Anaheim for

RHSP Austin Wood (A+) #14

Post Deadline - August 31:

CF Brett Jackson (L) / Dave Sappelt

SS Starlin Castro

1B Anthony Rizzo (L)

C Welington Castillo

LF Shane Peterson (L)

RF Ryan Sweeney (L)

3B Luis Valbuena (L)

2B Alberto Gonzalez

OF Brian Bogesevic (L)

C Luis Flores

IF Junior Lake

SP Jeff Samardzija

SP Edwin Jackson

SP Travis Wood (L)

SP Carlos Villanueva

SP Chris Rusin (L)

RP Hector Rondon

RP Michael Bowden

RP Blake Parker

RP Rafael Dolis

RP Kameron Loe

SU James Russell (L)

CL Kyuji Fujikawa

2014 Chicago Cubs:

2B Logan Watkins (L) / Alberto Gonzalez

SS Starlin Castro

1B Anthony Rizzo (L) / Michael Morse [FA]

LF Michael Morse / Dave Sappelt

CF Shane Peterson (L) / Jae-Hoon Ha

RF Jorge Soler

C Welington Castillo / Ramon Cabrera

3B Greg Rohan

IF Luis Valbuena (L)

SP Jeff Samardzija

SP Arodys Vizcaino

SP Travis Wood (L)

SP Edwin Jackson

SP Carlos Villanueva

LR Chris Rusin (L)

LR Yoanner Negrin

RP Trey McNutt

RP Michael Bowden

SU James Russell (L)

SU Kyuji Fujikawa (or Tony Zych)

CL Bryan Morris

EDIT: Totally forgot about Arodys Vizcaino.

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

Not bad, but I am not crazy about Gonzalez.  How will we be able to sell Garza anyway?

#3 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Not a huge fan of any of these/dont think they will happen. 

• Im all for trading Barney i feel like the return now would be a little weak but i dont hate this one
  • Dont think the Royals would give up a potential ace for 4 months of Garza (who would only have about a month to prove he is healthy according to your June trade)
  • No way Cincinnati deals Cingrani since Arroyo's contract expires after this year. Plus im not so sure he will have as much success in the Majors as one would think. He is a 2 pitch deception guy who gets a lot of ks with his fastball between 91-94, something that MLB hitters will pick up on after 1/2 a year or so
  • Return for Baker/Feldman is kinda weak but meh and the Marmol deal who cares as long as he is gone

#4 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

I would like to keep Baker though, he could help us in the future.  Feldman though, I don't mind if he is traded.

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

No way we're trading Baker in July after his injury setback.  Either he gets dealt at the end of August after the nonwaiver deadline or we pray that he pitches effectively and signs a reasonable extension

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

No way we're trading Baker in July after his injury setback.  Either he gets dealt at the end of August after the nonwaiver deadline or we pray that he pitches effectively and signs a reasonable extension

I agree.

#7 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Not a huge fan of any of these/dont think they will happen. 

• Im all for trading Barney i feel like the return now would be a little weak but i dont hate this one
  • Dont think the Royals would give up a potential ace for 4 months of Garza (who would only have about a month to prove he is healthy according to your June trade)
  • No way Cincinnati deals Cingrani since Arroyo's contract expires after this year. Plus im not so sure he will have as much success in the Majors as one would think. He is a 2 pitch deception guy who gets a lot of ks with his fastball between 91-94, something that MLB hitters will pick up on after 1/2 a year or so
  • Return for Baker/Feldman is kinda weak but meh and the Marmol deal who cares as long as he is gone

1. Garza is set to return to MLB mid May. That's around two full months of starts.

2. If we don't end up trading Barney, at best, he'll platoon with Watkins in 2014.

3. The Royals gave up a lot for Shields and Davis. I'm sure we'd split the bill to get it done.

4. Cincinnati makes sense for Soriano, because he's done historically well at GABP.

5. We need a closer. Between Morris, McNutt, Zych and Fujikawa... the more options, the better.

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Where would Soriano play for the Reds?  They have Bruce and Ludwick in the corners and both posted a higher OPS than Sori last season.  I don't see him going there unless there are injuries and they're uncomfortable with promoting Hamilton to the majors until he gets a full season playing the outfield in the minors

#9 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I like all those trade ideas, but I honestly believe that if any of them were even remotely possible, they would have been done already.  I don't think most teams are looking to give away top 20 prospects, and if they are, the asking price is probably going to be greater than what you've got listed.  The Hairston and Marmol trade is especially unlikely as I don't see Oakland wanting to pay Marmol, and if they were interested in Hairston, they could have signed him as a free agent (and the free agent point could be made for a handful of the players you've mentioned).

I do agree that Garza certainly still carries some trade value, but with his recent injury issues, he's going to have to show himself capable again before any team would be willing to give up a group of top prospects.  Again, I only believe this because if it weren't the case, I think the Cubs would have done made the move already. 

Lastly, I know our record is pretty abysmal right now, but we are still very early in the season, and we have been competitive.  I'd still like to see what this team can do if we can find someone to close out games effectively.

- diehard fanclub member #002

#10 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

UPDATE / Retorts:

We're in last place in the NL Central with a 5-11 record, "but it's still early in the season."

Gonzalez, Lillibridge, and Takahashi to AAA, Borbon,Gregg and Loe waiver-claimed. Barney is back.

Scott Baker is rumored to return in July after the All-Star Break (consider this signing a sunk cost).

Soriano would play LF/DH(in the playoffs) for the Reds. Bruce would play CF, Choo in RF.

Cingrani got his first MLB win as a starter, because Cueto is on the DL (with back spasm?).

I'm convinced we're going to trade Carlos Villanueva due to his hot start.

Arodys Vizcaino is still M.I.A. Anyone seen him in Extended Spring?

Ian Stewart has a hit (and an RBI) in AAA.

I'm convinced that we're going to sign an all-new FA OF.

2014 Opening Day

LF David Murphy (L)

CF Jacoby Ellsbury (L)

RF Michael Morse

1B Anthony Rizzo (L)

2B Logan Watkins (L)

3B Greg Rohan

SS Starlin Castro

C Welington Castillo

OF Jae-Hoon Ha

2B Ronald Torreyes

C Luis Flores

3B Luis Valbuena (L)

OF Scott Hairston

SP David Price (L) for Villanueva, Almora, Vogelbach, Lake, and Loux.

SP Jeff Samardzija

SP Travis Wood (L)

SP Arodys Vizcaino

SP Edwin Jackson

LR Yoanner Negrin

LR Chris Rusin (L)

RP Michael Bowden

RP Return from DeJesus trade

RP Blake Parker

SU James Russell (L)

CL Kyuji Fujikawa

#11 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

You really think Rohan will be the starting third baseman in 2014?  I thought I was higher on Rohan than anyone else and I'm only projecting him as a utility guy / power bat off the bench.  

With that outfield it looks like you've given up entirely on Brett Jackson.  Keep in mind that he'd still be a very nice trading chip, though.  In fact, I strongly suspect Tampa would insist on Jackson over Almora in any Price deal (but that they'd probably dig in their heels and refuse to deal if Baez is not part of the package anyway).

The KC trade looks realistic to me, believe it or not.  I think the Royals are going to be desperate this summer.  Someone is going to fleece them as bad as Tampa did, and I'd love for it to be the Cubs.

The return from Pittsburgh for the Scotts is ludicrously low, though.  Even if we check Baker out of the equation, I still see just Feldman bringing a higher return than that.  I'd probably take Zych over Morris anyway.

#12 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

I really think a DeJesus trade is in the works with Kansas City. It's no coincidence that Jed is stockpiling outfielders. Especially, a "potential" top-of-the-order guy in Julio Borbon that could replace him in CF (and a career 2.46 Range Factor is an upgrade defensively). Possibly, with regular playing time, he could put up similar numbers (and be cheaper). KC is in first place right now in the AL Central and they should be dotting the i's and crossing the t's after a month-long assessment. DeJesus platooning with Francoeur in RF just makes too much sense. They may be happy with Kottaras backing up Perez behind the dish, but they most certainly can't be happy with Moustakas' offensive production (and dare I say Luis Valbuena would be an upgrade at 3B for them?). They should bite on a DeJesus/Valbuena trade when Stewart gets called upon to start raising his trade value. I hate to say it, but I think Carlos Villanueva could be added to get that same kind of return I suggested in my original post. His attractive contract and flexibility as an effective starter this year and career reliever seems to read better on paper than a half season of a recent, injury-plagued Matt Garza.

Greg Rohan moved up every level (A+, AA, AAA) in one year... last year... and put up similar, great numbers at each of them. I think this whole Ian Stewart thing becomes a domino effect. We complete our trade with KC two weeks from now and Stewart comes up to get regular playing time, while Rohan takes his place at 3B in AAA and gets 1B duty against LHP when Vitters returns. If he rakes like he always does and stays healthy, I can see him at least in the utility role of which you suggested, because of his high ISO vs LHP. 1B/3B/LF could prove to be useful, especially in DH games. He's the perfect age for keeping 3B warm for Baez (if we decide to scoot him over there and haven't traded him already) and his power should peak when we start making legit playoff runs. I understand he's naturally a first basemen, but he's been playing 3B more now (including the winter league) than earlier in his career. Coincidence or planned?

I'd love to have David Price on our team, but not at the cost of "gutting" the farm. You're right about Brett Jackson, the folks over in Tampa are probably shaking their heads, knowing that the "throw-in" Sam Fuld, has contributed more on the major league level than any of the others combined in the Garza deal. They let Brett Jackson slip away when they chose Brandon Guyer instead. I think this is the opportunity to "get one over" on the Cubs. They'll covet Lake's raw ability, Jackson's "B.J. Upton" mold, and Vogelbach's long term solution at 1B. Alcantara would be an interesting piece to include, since he's been playing 2B a few games. I think they'll need a pitcher as well, that's why I included Barret Loux (tons of potential and we got him for the Rangers doing us a solid). If we did acquire him mid season, I doubt he'd perform well for the rest of it-going from a playoff contending team to a "rebuilding phase" team.

#13 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Really hope the Cubs stay away from Morse/Ellsbury. Morse seems to me like a guy who is gonna get wayyyy overpaid. Plus he is 31 this year and hasnt taken more than 36 walks in a year. Ellsbusy i just hope they stay away from because he has really only had 1 big year and is an injury risk.

Dont see the Reds trading for Soriano considering if they wanted a OF they could just call up Hamilton and move Choo to LF. Plus your reasoning being that he has good numbers at GABP really doesnt matter because he wont be hitting off of the Reds pitching. 

Still stick by closers being entirely overrated and shouldnt be key parts in trades. The only reason closer still exists is because managers are too stubborn to change/realize that playing matchups in the 9th (just like they would in the 8th) is actually a smart idea

Dont see Rohan being close to the answer at 3B. Most of his power numbers last year came at A+ AS A 26 YEAR OLD. He was basically playing against pitchers who are 19-23. He should rake. Just dont think a guy who is 26 and just getting out of high A is the answer anywhere

Last thing: If the Royals are going to overpay for Garza, why not just shoot for Price? ranted they would basically be swapping their farm system to the Rays but no one can argue that Garza is better than Price and if they are deperate why not just go for the biggest guy on the market?

*This would probably be better for the Cubs anyway, sin him as a FA and save the Farm

#14 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

JUNE

Matt Garza, David DeJesus and Dioner Navarro to Kansas City for

1. RHSP Kyle Zimmer (A+) #2 

2. RHSP Yordano Ventura (AA) #3 (possible closer)

3. Catcher Cam Gallagher (A) #13

4. LHSP Chris Dwyer (AAA) #16

5. 2B Angel Franco (AA)

I would defecate in my pants if the Cubs managed to net Kyle Zimmer.  If they wouldn't part with both he and Ventura, I would see if Chelsor Cuthbert could be pried away at the expense of giving up Franco as well.

Just to clarify the package would be:

P Kyle Zimmer #2

3B Chelsor Cuthbert # 9

C Cam Gallagher #13

P Chris Dwyer #16

I'm not sure how I feel about Cuthbert, honestly, but it'd be nice to get another 3B option in the minors.

#15 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Ellsbury had one great year.  The other years have been quite meh.  Good veteran presence?  Sure, but I still won't overpay for him, as I fear that's what we would have to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).