hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Actually I don't use much math anymore. All of the CAD packages pretty much take care of all of it for you. I don't even keep a calculator on my desk anymore.

That is what I figure but some blowhard professor will probably still demand I calculate by using long math with pencil and paper.

A local school has a archtecture AAS degree program that I have been interested (a friend of mine got his degree there and has a job doing some drawings for a local guy) but I am not sure of the actual value of it (his "employer" is a family friend).

#17 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

BTW, the other year, in case anyone needs it spelled out (cough Timmy cough) was 1984.

So, Ron Cey led the Cubs in HR and RBI in 1983 and 1984.

#18 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

I went to a hippie liberal arts college specifically so I could avoid taking a math class

#19 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Phil's on Twitter, right?

#20 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Actually I don't use much math anymore. All of the CAD packages pretty much take care of all of it for you. I don't even keep a calculator on my desk anymore.

That is what I figure but some blowhard professor will probably still demand I calculate by using long math with pencil and paper.

A local school has a archtecture AAS degree program that I have been interested (a friend of mine got his degree there and has a job doing some drawings for a local guy) but I am not sure of the actual value of it (his "employer" is a family friend).

I actually started doing drawing on the board. Talk about a pain in the butt. All my designs I do now are in SolidWorks. I never even want to go back to 2D CAD.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#21 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

He is. I don't think he checks it very often though.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#22 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

tumblr_mld4nl6La41qzc079o1_500.jpg

I've kidnapped Phil and I'm holding him hostage.  My demands are Dick Tidrow's mustache, Hansman's XXL grill, and for Javier Baez to learn plate discipline.

#23 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I've kidnapped Phil and I'm holding him hostage.  My demands are Dick Tidrow's mustache, Hansman's XXL grill, and for Javier Baez to learn plate discipline.

I don't want to know why you have a puppet.

#24 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

He's on Twitter-ish.  Like, he's got an account, but doesn't do much with it.

I haven't heard anything back since I sent him a bday shout.

#25 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I think it's safe to say that the puppet's a goner.

#26 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

I still do tons of math, but it's almost always quick stuff (elevations, slopes, etc.).  Cut/fill calcs occasionally (which are tedious).  The water conservation calculations required in CA are a real pain in the ass, but it's still pretty straight forward.

I really regret that all of my calculus (3 years) is totally, completely, and (I fear) irrevocably gone.

#27 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

I still do tons of math, but it's almost always quick stuff (elevations, slopes, etc.).  Cut/fill calcs occasionally (which are tedious).  The water conservation calculations required in CA are a real pain in the ass, but it's still pretty straight forward.

I really regret that all of my calculus (3 years) is totally, completely, and (I fear) irrevocably gone.

I don't mind long math (I occasionally do the pencil and paper route just to work the mind) but anything beyond the 4 basics and some geometry, over my head.

#28 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I think it's safe to say that the puppet's a goner.

Ya, while 2 of them are easy enough, ain't nobody better lay a finger on my grill.

#29 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well, when I said I don't do any math I do use the simple calc in windows quite a bit but that is just simple arithmetic. And, Yes, I agree, Calculus and Trig is completely long gone. Geometry is used every day but SolidWorks takes care of most of that. I will even create new parts so I don't have to do pythagorean. I have gotten very lazy that way.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#30 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well, when I said I don't do any math I do use the simple calc in windows quite a bit but that is just simple arithmetic. And, Yes, I agree, Calculus and Trig is completely long gone. Geometry is used every day but SolidWorks takes care of most of that. I will even create new parts so I don't have to do pythagorean. I have gotten very lazy that way.

So, what you guys are saying is that the thing that is keeping me from school, is the very thing that will never, ever, never be used?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).