Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

That is what I figure but some blowhard professor will probably still demand I calculate by using long math with pencil and paper.

A local school has a archtecture AAS degree program that I have been interested (a friend of mine got his degree there and has a job doing some drawings for a local guy) but I am not sure of the actual value of it (his "employer" is a family friend).

I still do tons of math, but it's almost always quick stuff (elevations, slopes, etc.).  Cut/fill calcs occasionally (which are tedious).  The water conservation calculations required in CA are a real pain in the ass, but it's still pretty straight forward.

I really regret that all of my calculus (3 years) is totally, completely, and (I fear) irrevocably gone.

Well, when I said I don't do any math I do use the simple calc in windows quite a bit but that is just simple arithmetic. And, Yes, I agree, Calculus and Trig is completely long gone. Geometry is used every day but SolidWorks takes care of most of that. I will even create new parts so I don't have to do pythagorean. I have gotten very lazy that way.

So, what you guys are saying is that the thing that is keeping me from school, is the very thing that will never, ever, never be used?

Correct!

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#32 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

That is what I figure but some blowhard professor will probably still demand I calculate by using long math with pencil and paper.

A local school has a archtecture AAS degree program that I have been interested (a friend of mine got his degree there and has a job doing some drawings for a local guy) but I am not sure of the actual value of it (his "employer" is a family friend).

I still do tons of math, but it's almost always quick stuff (elevations, slopes, etc.).  Cut/fill calcs occasionally (which are tedious).  The water conservation calculations required in CA are a real pain in the ass, but it's still pretty straight forward.

I really regret that all of my calculus (3 years) is totally, completely, and (I fear) irrevocably gone.

Well, when I said I don't do any math I do use the simple calc in windows quite a bit but that is just simple arithmetic. And, Yes, I agree, Calculus and Trig is completely long gone. Geometry is used every day but SolidWorks takes care of most of that. I will even create new parts so I don't have to do pythagorean. I have gotten very lazy that way.

So, what you guys are saying is that the thing that is keeping me from school, is the very thing that will never, ever, never be used?

Correct!

Pretty much.

#33 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Correct!

Pretty much.

FM15YOS...

(That'd be: Fuck My 15 Year-Old Self)

#34 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

FM15YOS...

Discovering that you are only 15-years-old puts everything into perspective now.

#35 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

FM15YOS...

Discovering that you are only 15-years-old puts everything into perspective now.

Pervert...

#36 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

tumblr_mld4nl6La41qzc079o1_500.jpg

I've kidnapped Phil and I'm holding him hostage.  My demands are Dick Tidrow's mustache, Hansman's XXL grill, and for Javier Baez to learn plate discipline.

I don't want to know why you have a puppet.

when I was in second grade I wanted to be a ventriloquist.  that didn't work out well I pulled it out because I'm going to sell it on ebay with other crushed hopes and dreams of my childhood like my keyboard.

#37 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

I've kidnapped Phil and I'm holding him hostage.  My demands are Dick Tidrow's mustache, Hansman's XXL grill, and for Javier Baez to learn plate discipline.

when I was in second grade I wanted to be a ventriloquist.  that didn't work out well I pulled it out because I'm going to sell it on ebay with other crushed hopes and dreams of my childhood like my keyboard.

I had a keyboard.  At least I didn't have a puppet...

#38 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

DUMMY!  IT'S A DUMMY YOU DUMMY

#39 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Looks more like that cowboy doll for toy story to me.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#40 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

It's an antique Charlie McCarthy replica

#41 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

That is by far the creepiest thing I've seen on the Message Boards yet.  And that's saying something with Cheeseburger Joe around.

- diehard fanclub member #002

#42 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

That is by far the creepiest thing I've seen on the Message Boards yet.  And that's saying something with Cheeseburger Joe around.

Yeah, this might scare me away for awhile.   

#43 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, this might scare me away for awhile.   

I am touched...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).