29 replies to this topic

#1 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting this in, but who do you think the Cubs will pursue this upcoming free agency?

#2 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Unrealistically Jacoby Ellsbury.

Maybe we take a risk on Chris Carpenter.?

#3 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

Unrealistically Robinson Cano

Hope stay away from: Ellsbury and Mike Morse. Seem like they will both get a ton of money and I hope neither is from the Cubs. Ellsbury has injury history and only 1 really good year, gonna command a lot more money than he has produced. Morse never taken more than 36 walks. Power is real but i dont see how he can continue to hit 300

I would love to see them go after Shin-Soo Choo. Team has needed a real leadoff guy for like 70 years. Plus he can fake CF and still be above average in RF. Would also love Zobrist but with an affordable option i dont see him leaving TB 

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

Not sure Ellsbury is unrealistic.  I'm also not sure I'm interested in him.

If Johnson looks good with Toronto, he might be a nice option.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

Robinson Cano

Mike Morse

T Plush (for someone to openingly boo)

Shin-Soo Choo

Hunter Pence

P

Jason Hammel

Josh Johnson

Tim Lincecum (as a reliever)

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Robinson Cano - Yes please

Mike Morse - Seems very Soriano-esque (meaning, people will expect the world from him and when he comes back to Earth, he will be hated)

T Plush (for someone to openingly boo) - this team needs a "Milton Bradley"

Shin-Soo Choo - Yes please

Hunter Pence - Dear God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

P

Jason Hammel - If he can find that low 2 BB/9 rate again, yes, yes, yes

Josh Johnson - Sure

Tim Lincecum (as a reliever) - Sure

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Robinson Cano - Yes please

Mike Morse - Seems very Soriano-esque (meaning, people will expect the world from him and when he comes back to Earth, he will be hated)

T Plush (for someone to openingly boo) - this team needs a "Milton Bradley"

Shin-Soo Choo - Yes please

Hunter Pence - Dear God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

P

Jason Hammel - If he can find that low 2 BB/9 rate again, yes, yes, yes

Josh Johnson - Sure

Tim Lincecum (as a reliever) - Sure

T Plush does have that coveted fire in the belly that is missing from this team.

Oh, and welcome to the MB Alex. Don't take the added comments too serious over on the side because we sure as heck don't. We talk baseball, but we like to have fun too.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Hope stay away from: Ellsbury and Mike Morse. Seem like they will both get a ton of money and I hope neither is from the Cubs. Ellsbury has injury history and only 1 really good year, gonna command a lot more money than he has produced. Morse never taken more than 36 walks. Power is real but i dont see how he can continue to hit 300

I would love to see them go after Shin-Soo Choo. Team has needed a real leadoff guy for like 70 years. Plus he can fake CF and still be above average in RF. Would also love Zobrist but with an affordable option i dont see him leaving TB 

Actually, we have a pretty good leadoff guy in DeJesus right now.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

But, he's not a base stealer ... Oh, you mean he sees on average over 4 pitches per PA and has a healthy .353 OBP.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

But, he's not a base stealer ... Oh, you mean he sees on average over 4 pitches per PA and has a healthy .353 OBP.

Choo isnt that much of a base stealer either but he is a much better OBP guy than DeJesus plus i was factoring in that Dejesus is about 99.9% likely to be traded. 

#11 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Robinson Cano

Mike Morse

T Plush (for someone to openingly boo)

Shin-Soo Choo

Hunter Pence

P

Jason Hammel

Josh Johnson

Tim Lincecum (as a reliever)

I almost put Lincy as a RP and figured it wasnt even worth it because someone is going to pay him to be a starter and hope he rebounds. Pitching in general depends on what Garza does. If he stays i dont think they are in play for any of these guys (especially after trading for Price ;))

#12 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Choo isnt that much of a base stealer either but he is a much better OBP guy than DeJesus plus i was factoring in that Dejesus is about 99.9% likely to be traded. 

I was being sarcastic with the base stealing thing.

Also, Hansman and I weren't saying that DD is the best lead-off man in the Bigs. Just that he is a good one. I do agree there is a good chance he will be traded.

Just noticed your in B-Town too. You in school?

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#13 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Ya, I'd like to have Choo, I just checked his stats closely:

Career IsoD: .097

Career BB%: 11.4%

Career K%: 21.2%

XBH%: 9.0%

So far this year, everything is in line with career numbers.

GIMMIE GIMME GIMME!

#14 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Ya, I'd like to have Choo, I just checked his stats closely:

Career IsoD: .097

Career BB%: 11.4%

Career K%: 21.2%

XBH%: 9.0%

So far this year, everything is in line with career numbers.

GIMMIE GIMME GIMME!

I have never really looked into his numbers. If this year is in line with his career numbers, um, yes please.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#15 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

The big name is obviously 1 Robinson Cano; However, I don't think that too mnay people expect the Yankees to let him go...alive.

Beying that, depedning on the direction they plan on going;

Jcoby Ellsbury (30) Surely Theo would like to re-unite with him, especially if Jackson doesn't pull it togther. Depends on whether or not he can rebound this season.

Curtis Granderson (33) I suspect that if he rebounds from injury, the Yankees will re-up him.

Hunter Pence (31) would be a nice addition to what we have. 5 Tool guy. I think.

Mike Morse and Corey Hart (each 32) Would be nice addtions as corner OF power bats at the right price to replace Soriano if we move him by then,

Chase Utley will be 35, but if they decide to win now, he could be an interesting 3B option at the right price.

And as for pitchers;

Matt Garza (30), Jason Hammell (31) Gavin Floyd (31) I'd take any of these three as 2-3 starters, on say 4/60 deals.

There's also Josh Johnson (30) and Tim Lincecum (30); depning on JJ's health/Tim's effectiveness, either could be up for a massive contract, or a 1-2 year incentive laden "self gamble" in hopes of re-building his value.

Similarly, Ervin Santana (31) is looking great in KC. If he keeps it up, he could be worth a flier.

Johan Santana (34) the Mets have a 5MM buy out that they'll likely excercise as opposed to his 25MM option. Seeing as he'll be sitting out the season, I'm very curious about his price tag.

And of course, the trade market is something we should be exploring eavily. Price, Car-Go, and Stanton are all guys who have been mentioned as on the block recently, and I'd be willing to go what it takes to get any of them. Several other young pitchers, notably A's, Rays, Braves, and D Backs are also worth exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).