hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I think the suckiness of the 2014 draft class has been greatly exaggerated.

#17 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

What makes sense for the Cubs moving forward using 2014 free agency?

#1. OF

All of our current, starting OF should be traded sometime this year. Soriano may be the only straggler, because of his NTC, but I think he would see limited play if he decides to stay.

Michael Morse makes the most sense for the Cubs because we wouldn't have to platoon him, he provides power-for-average in the middle of our lineup, and he has the ability to play the corner spots and 1B.

David Murphy would be a good choice because he could sign a David DeJesus-type deal that would be easy to move when the time comes (prospect being called up).

#2. SP

Assuming we trade Matt Garza, Carlos Villanueva, Scott Feldman, and whatever happens with Scott Baker, we'll need two starting pitchers. There are a few in-house options who'll get their chance to impress in September, but if we decide to go the free agency route, it'll be one big signing.

Josh Johnson could scare people off with his injury history, but he used to be a legit #1. Gavin Floyd also has shown flashes of brilliance, but both hurlers are off to slow starts.

We could go the international route and sign 27 year old, Suk-min Yoon. Watch for this signing.

#3. Reliever/Closer

I expect maybe one or two signings to solidify the bullpen. Kyle McClellan and lefty, Eric O'Flaherty stick out in next year's class. They may require a payday, but as we've seen this year (and last), you need to have an effective bullpen for morale at least!

#4. 3B/2B

This front office may be content with bottom-of-the-league production at these two positions, but this area will use in-house options to keep payroll at an acceptable threshold and because other than Robinson Cano, there are no other names that stick out. Especially, when your in-house options include: Javier Baez, Logan Watkins, and Ronald Torreyes.

[10.0] Alfonso Soriano deferred after 2013 trade

[06.5] LF David Murphy (L)

[00.5] CF Julio Borbon (L) or Brett Jackson (L)

[13.0] RF Michael Morse

[01.0] 1B Anthony Rizzo (L)

[00.5] 2B Logan Watkins (L)

[01.0] 3B Luis Valbuena (L)

[05.0] SS Starlin Castro

[01.0] C Welington Castillo

-38.5-

[02.5] OF Scott Hairston

[00.5] C Luis Flores

[00.5] CF Jae-Hoon Ha

[01.0] SS Cody Ransom

[00.5] 3B Josh Vitters or Junior Lake or Greg Rohan

-05.0-

[04.5] SP Jeff Samardzija

[08.0] SP Suk-min Yoon

[01.0] SP Travis Wood (L)

[11.0] SP Edwin Jackson

[00.5] SP Chris Rusin (L) or Brooks Raley (L)

-25.0-

[06.5] RP Eric O'Flaherty (L)

[01.5] RP James Russell (L)

[01.0] RP Kyle McLellan

[00.5] RP Blake Parker

[00.5] RP Michael Bowden

[01.0] RP Yoanner Negrin

[04.0] CL Kyuji Fujikawa

-15.0-

Total Payroll

$83.5M

Jorge Soler gets called up mid season to play RF.

#18 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Honestly, besides a few bit pieces here and there, I think the Cubs should be looking at the trade market to fill holes, instead of free agency.  I would love to see them get Choo or Ellsbury at a reasonable price, but I think they will get overpaid into their late 30's, which I don't want to see the Cubs in on. I think Third and Closer are the two most worrisome positions, but the free agent cupboard is pretty bare in those areas. 

#19 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Third a Closer are both areas with some options coming from the minors, though.  

Lake and Villanueva are nearly there at third, and closer has Dolis, McNutt, and Zych as options.

#20 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Third a Closer are both areas with some options coming from the minors, though.  

Lake and Villanueva are nearly there at third, and closer has Dolis, McNutt, and Zych as options.

Has Lake been putting it together and I just missed it?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#21 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

He's still rehabbing in Arizona.  His season should be starting before too much longer, though.  

He still needs plenty of work, but he wasn't bad last year.  103 games in Double A left him with a wOBA of .356.  He also tied his career high in BB% and set career highs in SB and HR.  I wouldn't get carried away about Lake, but I don't think there is any reason to be really down on him.  Just don't expect Trout 2.0.

#22 FarmerTanColin

FarmerTanColin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Twitter:@colin_benson
  • LocationAmes IA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Yeah the amount of farm in house players should start piling up by the end of the year. I would prefer a trade to land a big name instead of free agency. A lot of tough decisions are going to happen as well. 

Jackson, Watson and Vitters/Lake need to progress if they do then we could save a lot of money with them being regulars instead of paying millions in free agency or funnel that money towards extensions or signing pitching. 

In AA for relievers Hatley and Zosscup and Cabrera is starting but could go back to the bullpen. I doubt we sign many relievers but then we did sign Gregg and Loe...

In the end I see more grown players coming. 

#23 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Unrealistically Robinson Cano

Hope stay away from: Ellsbury and Mike Morse. Seem like they will both get a ton of money and I hope neither is from the Cubs. Ellsbury has injury history and only 1 really good year, gonna command a lot more money than he has produced. Morse never taken more than 36 walks. Power is real but i dont see how he can continue to hit 300

I would love to see them go after Shin-Soo Choo. Team has needed a real leadoff guy for like 70 years. Plus he can fake CF and still be above average in RF. Would also love Zobrist but with an affordable option i dont see him leaving TB

Actually, we have a pretty good leadoff guy in DeJesus right now.
But, he's not a base stealer ... Oh, you mean he sees on average over 4 pitches per PA and has a healthy .353 OBP.
Choo isnt that much of a base stealer either but he is a much better OBP guy than DeJesus plus i was factoring in that Dejesus is about 99.9% likely to be traded.
I was being sarcastic with the base stealing thing.

Also, Hansman and I weren't saying that DD is the best lead-off man in the Bigs. Just that he is a good one. I do agree there is a good chance he will be traded.

Just noticed your in B-Town too. You in school?

Yep. Finishing up my junior year in a week or so!

#24 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Handing out big contracts to relievers is NEVER a good idea plus the weak market is gonna drive the price up more. Last year Brandon League got 3/21 and he sucks. Stick with in house candidates and find another lefty that's it. RP performance varies so much from year to year since a lot of it is luck based (BABIP &strand rate). Don't pay a huge price for a RP.

Morse strikes me as the guy most likely to be "Soriano" in this FA class. Gonna get way overpaid and decline as he ages under huge expectations.

Choo would be the one guy I would be willing to overpay for. Just seems to get
On base all the time. Had 1 bad year when he hurt/ got a DUI but other than that he is a solid power/OBP guy. Just think he is gonna get a massive deal if he has a good year this year an idk if the Cubs will pay

#25 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hope stay away from: Ellsbury and Mike Morse. Seem like they will both get a ton of money and I hope neither is from the Cubs. Ellsbury has injury history and only 1 really good year, gonna command a lot more money than he has produced. Morse never taken more than 36 walks. Power is real but i dont see how he can continue to hit 300

I would love to see them go after Shin-Soo Choo. Team has needed a real leadoff guy for like 70 years. Plus he can fake CF and still be above average in RF. Would also love Zobrist but with an affordable option i dont see him leaving TB

But, he's not a base stealer ... Oh, you mean he sees on average over 4 pitches per PA and has a healthy .353 OBP.
Choo isnt that much of a base stealer either but he is a much better OBP guy than DeJesus plus i was factoring in that Dejesus is about 99.9% likely to be traded.

Also, Hansman and I weren't saying that DD is the best lead-off man in the Bigs. Just that he is a good one. I do agree there is a good chance he will be traded.

I'm sure you had plenty of fun last weekend. Good luck with finals.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#26 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm sure you had plenty of fun last weekend. Good luck with finals.

Best week of the year haha and ya thanks i appreciate it

#27 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I'd hope to get our relievers on minor league deals or waiver wire pickups.  If we do sign a guy it better not A. forfeit a draft pick and B. be for more than two years.  I think a lot of those guys starting down Iowa/TN (along with guys like Dolis, Zych, McNutt, etc) will be vying for bullpen spots next season (or sooner if we can deal Marmol, Camp, etc).  One starter, a corner outfielder (NOT MORSE--preferably Choo), and a utility guy who can actually hit decently + a lefthanded bench bat with pop would be our best bets.  If Garza is dealt we should take a look at pitching options but I think the rest of the holes can be filled via the farm and they should use their money on extensions for Shark/Rizzo/Garza/Russell/Wood (if he keeps it up)

#28 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

For lefthanded bench bat with pop, keep an eye on Logan Watkins.  He doesn't have a lot of pop, but he makes up for it somewhat with OBP and speed.

#29 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

What makes sense for the Cubs moving forward using 2014 free agency?

#1. OF

All of our current, starting OF should be traded sometime this year. Soriano may be the only straggler, because of his NTC, but I think he would see limited play if he decides to stay.

Michael Morse makes the most sense for the Cubs because we wouldn't have to platoon him, he provides power-for-average in the middle of our lineup, and he has the ability to play the corner spots and 1B.

David Murphy would be a good choice because he could sign a David DeJesus-type deal that would be easy to move when the time comes (prospect being called up).

#2. SP

Assuming we trade Matt Garza, Carlos Villanueva, Scott Feldman, and whatever happens with Scott Baker, we'll need two starting pitchers. There are a few in-house options who'll get their chance to impress in September, but if we decide to go the free agency route, it'll be one big signing.

Josh Johnson could scare people off with his injury history, but he used to be a legit #1. Gavin Floyd also has shown flashes of brilliance, but both hurlers are off to slow starts.

We could go the international route and sign 27 year old, Suk-min Yoon. Watch for this signing.

#3. Reliever/Closer

I expect maybe one or two signings to solidify the bullpen. Kyle McClellan and lefty, Eric O'Flaherty stick out in next year's class. They may require a payday, but as we've seen this year (and last), you need to have an effective bullpen for morale at least!

#4. 3B/2B

This front office may be content with bottom-of-the-league production at these two positions, but this area will use in-house options to keep payroll at an acceptable threshold and because other than Robinson Cano, there are no other names that stick out. Especially, when your in-house options include: Javier Baez, Logan Watkins, and Ronald Torreyes.

[10.0] Alfonso Soriano deferred after 2013 trade

[06.5] LF David Murphy (L)

[00.5] CF Julio Borbon (L) or Brett Jackson (L)

[13.0] RF Michael Morse

[01.0] 1B Anthony Rizzo (L)

[00.5] 2B Logan Watkins (L)

[01.0] 3B Luis Valbuena (L)

[05.0] SS Starlin Castro

[01.0] C Welington Castillo

-38.5-

[02.5] OF Scott Hairston

[00.5] C Luis Flores

[00.5] CF Jae-Hoon Ha

[01.0] SS Cody Ransom

[00.5] 3B Josh Vitters or Junior Lake or Greg Rohan

-05.0-

[04.5] SP Jeff Samardzija

[08.0] SP Suk-min Yoon

[01.0] SP Travis Wood (L)

[11.0] SP Edwin Jackson

[00.5] SP Chris Rusin (L) or Brooks Raley (L)

-25.0-

[06.5] RP Eric O'Flaherty (L)

[01.5] RP James Russell (L)

[01.0] RP Kyle McLellan

[00.5] RP Blake Parker

[00.5] RP Michael Bowden

[01.0] RP Yoanner Negrin

[04.0] CL Kyuji Fujikawa

-15.0-

Total Payroll

$83.5M

Jorge Soler gets called up mid season to play RF.

Whether you believe in Buddah, Jehovah, Jah, Jesus, Ganesh, Yahweh, Ala, wacky Scientology God, or other, I don't think any of them would be so cruel as to inflict this team upon us.

#30 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I can't really foresee any of the trade returns this year having an immediate impact on the major league club unless it's a bullpen arm. So, we'll have to utilize free agency. Edwin Jackson (I'm assuming) will have to have a bounce back season in 2014 to have any trade value, other than being a league-average, warm body to fill a rotation spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).