#16 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

I think that this is our best option.  Keep marching him out.

#17 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Soriano's contract sucks, but at this point, it's irrelavant. I can pretty much bet that by the end of the year, he'll have an OPS in the high .700s-low .800s with 20+ home runs. Is that worth 19 Mil? No. However, that means nothing. Whether Alfonso Sorianos playing for the Cubs, Phillies, Orioles, or in front of his TV playing Mario Cart, the Cubs WILL be paying at least 90% of that. This isn't a Chone Figgins or Milton Bradley where you say to hell with it, get rid of him no matter how much salary we have to gut. This is a very productive player.

That kind of production is not as easy to come by as you think. Sure, even after watching 3 years worth of AAAA sluggers come up, get hot, and then collapse after pitchers stop feeding them meatballs, I'd love to see Ryan Sweeney, who unliked LaFoxPauir has a history of big league success called up. But this would give us a glut of LH outfielders.

If he is traded, it should be for 1 reason; somebody is willing to give up a quality prospect package for him. As far as I'm concerend, we pay the full salary. If not, we ride him until the end of his contract or until a better option emerges.

#18 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

He's got another year left on his contract, the Cubs have a chance of contending next year.  Heck, they could have contended this year if they had another impact bat and a competent bullpen.  he's not embarrassing himself anymore in the outfield and can still get 30+ HRs which like RR said is not easy to come across.  If we can't get a good offer for him this year or the offseason I say hold on to him and see how the team looks next season.

#19 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

He's got another year left on his contract, the Cubs have a chance of contending next year.  Heck, they could have contended this year if they had another impact bat and a competent bullpen.  he's not embarrassing himself anymore in the outfield and can still get 30+ HRs which like RR said is not easy to come across.  If we can't get a good offer for him this year or the offseason I say hold on to him and see how the team looks next season.

Agreed.  I think all the talk about his contract and his previous outfield adventures undermines how hard he works and what a good teammate and role model he is for the younger players.  If he was a malcontent like Bradley or Zambrano, or a seemingly me-first, low effort guy like ARam sometimes appeared to be at the end of his run here, it may be worth it to dump him for whatever.  I believe that any return for him would pale in comparison to the spot he holds in the lineup and locker room, the rest of this year, and next. 

#20 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

We can't say that the Cubs didn't try and make this bullpen better.  Next year, who is a good free agent bullpen arm?

#21 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

We can't say that the Cubs didn't try and make this bullpen better.  Next year, who is a good free agent bullpen arm?

Eric O'Flaherty and/or Boone Logan would be nice to complement Russell.  Mujica could be an interesting option for Closer if he doesn't go lights out for Cards the rest of the way and get a fat contract ahead of free agency.  Joey Devine could be an interesting guy depending on how his arm holds up this year.  I don't know that I would be an advocate of adding to the bullpen through free agency though.  It seems to blow up more than it works.  More than anything, I think the throwing-as-many-darts-at-the-bullseye-as-possible strategy may be our best option until the "waves of power arms" start moving into and through the minors.  I think injury recoveries and cast offs are going to be the order of the day in the meantime. 

#22 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Eric O'Flaherty and/or Boone Logan would be nice to complement Russell.  Mujica could be an interesting option for Closer if he doesn't go lights out for Cards the rest of the way and get a fat contract ahead of free agency.  Joey Devine could be an interesting guy depending on how his arm holds up this year.  I don't know that I would be an advocate of adding to the bullpen through free agency though.  It seems to blow up more than it works.  More than anything, I think the throwing-as-many-darts-at-the-bullseye-as-possible strategy may be our best option until the "waves of power arms" start moving into and through the minors.  I think injury recoveries and cast offs are going to be the order of the day in the meantime. 

Good point.  I thought there was another guy we had in our farm that could project as a closer, but I forgot his name.

#23 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

Tim Lincecum

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).