11 replies to this topic

#1 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Supposing that there are no major injuries around the league creating a need (I.E. if the Yankees were to lose Sabathia or Youkilis for a few months), where do you see possible destinations for each of the Cubs' moveable assets (considering a few factors) and what do you think they could get in return?

Just to clarify, make sure you state whether your answers reflect what you would hope for or what you think is realistically where they will end up

I realize this is lengthy and possibly a bit too ambitious a post, but it might be fun to consider all the different possibilities.

Matt Garza

Will he be traded?

If he only makes a few mediocre starts pre-deadline

Traded to (with other players Cubs include in trade):

Return:

If he returns healthy and gets hot around the deadline

Return:

Alfonso Soriano

Will he be traded?

If he manages to remain productive and healthy (power numbers in particular)

Return:

If he starts to decline:

Return:

Carlos Marmol

Will he be traded?

If he continues to pitch poorly

Return:

If he heats up in the middle of the year and goes on a tear

Return:

If he heats up shortly before the deadline

Return:

Scott Feldman

Will he be traded?

If he remains a starter and gets hot around the deadline

Return:

If he remains a starter and remains mediocre

Return:

If he remains a starter and plays poorly

Return:

If he moves to the bullpen

Return:

Carlos Villanueva

Will he be traded?

If he remains a starter and continues to pitch well

Return:

If he remains a starter and pitches with mild success

Return:

If he remains a starter and pitches poorly

Return:

If he moves to the bullpen

Return:

David Dejesus

Will he be traded?

If he continues to play to his usual standards

Return:

If he starts to heat up around the deadline

Return:

Nate Schierholtz

Will he be traded?

If he continues to hit well

Return:

If he cools down and becomes average

Return:

If he cools down and starts slumping closer to the deadline

Return:

Scott Baker

Will he be traded?

If he returns in time to make a few starts and does poorly

Return:

If he returns in time to make a few starts and does well

Return:

If he only gets healthy in time to make a start before the deadline

Return:

Ian Stewart

Will he be traded?

If he returns healthy and puts up solid numbers all around

Return:

If he returns healthy and manages to hit for average and can get on base, but power numbers are down

Return:

If he returns and plays poorly all around

Return:

Some other possibilities (though perhaps less likely trade candidates):

Travis Wood, Shawn Camp, Brett Jackson, Josh Vitters, Chris Rusin, Julio Borbon, Dioner Navarro,

Feel free to include anyone in the Cubs system that I have not mentioned.

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Yo, new guy.  I'm, like, incredibly busy these days, so I ain't gots time ta read ya screed and all, but I admire your moxie.

I also think your avi is outstanding, and I want to commend you for that.

#3 Todd

Todd

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationWhale's vagina

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Carlos Marmol will be traded to the Nats for Dan Haren but the trade will be rejected. Cause: In light of Theo's comments about a restrictive budget, the Cubs go with a cut rate health insurance package to free up money. However, the new, cheaper medical benefits package denies Haren's medical coverage due to the pre-exsisting condition that was discovered by the Cubs own medical staff in November.

#4 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

My prediction DeJesus and Brett Jackson (I think the front office moves him if he his strike out rate doesn't improve soon)  to the Royals for a minor league pitcher.  This frees up one spot in the Cubs outfield for a call up from AAA (Sweeney most likely) and 2 spots in AAA from promoting prospects.

#5 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think DeJesus is headed back to Kansas City if they're in contention this summer. they could really use a guy like him in center. their system isn't packed but the return could be pretty solid

#6 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

My prediction DeJesus and Brett Jackson (I think the front office moves him if he his strike out rate doesn't improve soon)  to the Royals for a minor league pitcher.  This frees up one spot in the Cubs outfield for a call up from AAA (Sweeney most likely) and 2 spots in AAA from promoting prospects.

Any ideas as to who that minor league pitcher might be?  I'd read elsewhere on the board about Zimmer, and I'd love it if the Cubs managed to pry him away, but I don't see that happening for Dejesus and Jackson.

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

I think DeJesus is headed back to Kansas City if they're in contention this summer. they could really use a guy like him in center. their system isn't packed but the return could be pretty solid

They got some arms in the bullpen that I'd like.

#8 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Crow should be available since they have Herrera/Holland in the back of the pen. Id be happy with that for DeJesus. Maybe if they are really desperate they could pull Ventura 

#9 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

Crow should be available since they have Herrera/Holland in the back of the pen. Id be happy with that for DeJesus. Maybe if they are really desperate they could pull Ventura 

I haven't seen anything since last year, but is Crow converting back to a starter out of the question at this point?

#10 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

DeJesus almost certain. He's 32, and we have Schierholtz, Sweeney, and Borbon as younger LH OF options. Aside from slugging, his number really arent that off from his career averages. As with Maholm last year, his 6.5MM team option makes him that much more attractive.

Expected return; 1 of somebody's top 5-10 prospects plus 1-2 lottery tickets. If we're incredibly lucky, a back end top 100 prospect.

Garza's a doozy. His injury screwed us hard. I could see us trading him while on the DL, depending on other teams desperation. The Yankees and Dodgers are 2 teams that have already lost some of their starting pitching. I've heard people use Peavy being traded when injured as a comparison, but Peavy was under contractfor a few more years at the time, and Garza's a free agent after this season. If we're not contending and don't plan on an extension, my guess is that we get what we can for him, which will depend on how desperate potetnial partners are, how many potential partners there are, and which alternatives are on the market. If he comes back in mid-late May, and looks strong through July, teams may view him as any other 2 month rental. If not, we might want to wait until August's waiver deadline.

Expected return: Anything from a top 50 prospect and then some to a fistfull of lottery tickets and fringe prospects. If there's no hope to re-sign him, he's a chip that must be cashed in. All depends on the market. This holds true for all players, but especially a 2 month rental coming off an injury.

As was the case last year, Soriano will depend on where he's willing to go. As I've been saying for 2 years, it should be about getting back the best possible player/prospect package more so than salary relief.

Expected Return: Maybe someone gives us something like a Dom Brown or Zach Britton, a one time top prospect with a falling star, but I'd take something like the DeRosa package; a pair of upper level fringe guys and one high ceiling, lower level guy.

Feldman is a possiblity. When the summer rolls around, as many teams tend to be looking for back of the rotation innings eaters than front end guys. Obviously Feldman wouldn't generate much of a return, but he could be packaged with someone else.

Expected return; If he's absolutely lights out over the next few months,maybe we spin him into another broken top 100 guy ala Vizcaino, but even then we'd have to add something to the pot.

Marmol, Gregg, Camp; Any of these 3 are possibilities. With the possible exception of Marmol, any of them would likely be part of bigger packages to generate significant interest. I doubt that anybody would acquire them as a closer. Any team desperate enough for a closer that they'd try one of them likely isn't contendong, but like back end innings eaters, many teams are as much in the hunt for reliable, veteran middle relief as they are for late inning guys.

Expected return; If Marmol can dominate, maybe someone would come out of one of their top 10-15 prospects for the rental if not a high-ish ceiling low level plus a quasi-useful fringe prospect. Alone, Gregg and Camp likely don't fetch more than a PTBNL each, but we seem to have gotten some pretty solid PTBNLs last year, notably Carillo and Loux.

Other Possibilites;

Barney; The organization seems to value defense more than they once did, not that that's a bad thing, so they might prefer to hold on to him as a cost effective building block, especially since it now seems as though we don't have buckets of money that we're ready to spend in the next 2 years. For the same reason, I now think they'll hang on to Travis Wood though befoe Theo's bombshell I saw him as a perfect trade chip.

Someone would have to overpay in terms of prospects for either due to their being under team control for several years and potentially valuable building blocks.

Villanueva; It's only a matter of time before he comes down to Earth, but it might not be as hard of a crash as you'd think. He's a guy who has always been a swing man/spot starter. If given an opportunity to start full time, he could wind up a very productive 3-4 starter. This being said, we might want to hang on to him until we get a better idea what we have as far as our pitching prospects go.

Prospects:

Vogelbach; ever since we drafted him, my take has been if he really can't play serviceable defense, he could be traded to an AL team, perhaps for a pitching prospect.

Vitters: If the organization truely has given up on him, and I havn't, I'd be interested in seeing if we could swap him for something similar from another organization, say a one time top prospect that hasn't quite worked out and they're ready to move on, but is still young enough that there's hope. Phil Aumont, Dom Brown, Jake Arrieta, and Zach Britton are a few names that come to mind. We forget that Vitters is 23 and doesn't turn 24 until August, making him younger than each of the guys listed. While fans tend to over-value their own prospects, they also have a habit of under valuing those that havn't quite panned out.

Brett Jackson I personally see Brett as a possible Chris Young type. Certainly not a guy that you rely on to be the cornerstone of your organization, but a great building block to work with. He still has a higher ceiling than Szczur, and rather than sell low on him, I'd rather give him another year in AAA while Borbon and Sweeney get their cracks at center in 2014 while Jackson, Szczur, and Ha compete for the coveted bridge to Almora gig.

Edited due to the insane amount of spelling and grammar typos. I'm normally not one to care too much about that type of thing, but fuck, that was a mess. Cursed board not offering red squiggles under such snafus.

Edited by Rated Rookie, 27 April 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#11 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

I haven't seen anything since last year, but is Crow converting back to a starter out of the question at this point?

Last time he started in the regular season was 2010 in AA with a 5.56. i remember them trying him for the rotation in spring training (last year maybe?) but i think he is a RP for good

#12 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for taking the time and going through a ton of players Rated Rookie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).