#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Are there any old timey baseball experts out there that could answer a simple question for me; Was Mike Kelly ever referred to as "King" Kelly during his time with the Cubs White Stockings or did he not earn that nickname until he'd already been sold to Boston? From what I can gather, he wasn't called thatuntil he hit the Vaudeville stage, after he'd been reailroaded out of town by a megalomaniacal bigot, but I'm having difficulty finding any actual clarification on the matter.

I'm asking in regards to a project of sorts.

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

It was in Boston that Mike became "King" Kelly

Wiki Reference

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think he was called "King" during his time with the White Stockings (the Cubs, damnit).  Nothing real solid to go on but.... There was a SABRE bio written on him a few years ago.  I pulled this from it:

"In 1886 the 31-year-old Kelly was arguably the biggest star in a star-studded National League. Newspapers and fans routinely called him King Kelly or The Only Kelly, a cherished sobriquet because of the large number of Irish immigrants in the US at the time. Kelly responded to the adulation with his best season...."    Note:   In 1886, Kelly was still on the Cubs. 

I also saw a quote from Anson in a book from my Cubs "library" - which was paraphrased some, but when they got him from Cincinnati, he said he knew he was getting a special player.  After all he was named "King".  That was in 1879 when Anson supposedly said something like that - so he might have even been called that before the Cubs got him.

The guy was only 37 when he died. 

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'd go with mine. I sourced wiki. It never lies.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'd go with mine. I sourced wiki. It never lies.

Hah!

I just finished typing "To what degree should wikipedia be part of our research here" at work.

I'll love making a King Kelly reference on Wed. when we discuss.

#6 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

I got much of what I know from Wiki, DeadBallEra.com (really cool site if you've never checked it out) and some various mini-bios. The trouble with Wiki is that it's the Twitter of reference guides. While there's a lot of good info on it, anyone can post something and pass it off as fact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).