19 replies to this topic

#1 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

This may be a terrible idea, but has the idea of moving Castro to 3rd and Barney to short (where his bat might play better, no?), if Logan Watkins makes the jump to the majors been considered? (assuming, of course, that Baez is either not ready or does not pan out)

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

It has been considered and discussed at length, over and over. 

#3 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Oh, yikes, my bad.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

It's ok. It's a worthwhile topic.

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Oh, yikes, my bad.

Wasn't complaining or anything, just answering.  It was a pretty common topic for a long time last season. 

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

This may be a terrible idea, but has the idea of moving Castro to 3rd and Barney to short (where his bat might play better, no?), if Logan Watkins makes the jump to the majors been considered? (assuming, of course, that Baez is either not ready or does not pan out)

An infield of Logan Watkins, Barney, and Castro would be remarkably power-poor.  And rather OBP-poor.  Barney at SS would be a huge step down for us, and Castro isn't that valuable at 3B.

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Oh, yikes, my bad.

You're fine, man.  You're new.  Some of us are just a little burned out with the state of recent discussions lately.

I thank you for opening the discussion relatively benignly, though, and not with "WTF!!?!?!!1!?  You fukkrs dont know anything! Castro SUX at SStop and SHUD move to 3b! Barney is a better ShStop!  Logan Watkinz rulz!!!!!11"

#8 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

The total defense would probably be better with Watkins at third.  He rarely plays there, but I think he could handle it.

But that would be an infield thin on power (maybe 35 HR between them) and weak on OBP (only Watkins shows much in that department).

#9 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Oh, yikes, my bad.

You're fine, man.  You're new.  Some of us are just a little burned out with the state of recent discussions lately.

I thank you for opening the discussion relatively benignly, though, and not with "WTF!!?!?!!1!?  You fukkrs dont know anything! Castro SUX at SStop and SHUD move to 3b! Barney is a better ShStop!  Logan Watkinz rulz!!!!!11"

Well thanks all for the warm welcome.

Ahaha, well I mean I would never suppose that I know more than someone working in Major League Baseball (the manager, coaches, front office, etc.).  Oh, and honestly my concern was keeping Barney's defense on the field, possibly making Castro's job on defense easier (hopefully cutting down on errors) and finding a way to get Watkins into the lineup (if he should be called up).  Indeed you have a point, though, it would be a particularly weak offense and a low OBP offense unless Barney and/or Castro develop some plate discipline or Castro fills out and his power numbers jump (both of which are unlikely). Eventually someone's going to have to go.  I just hope Watkins can be as adept with the glove as Barney has been (assuming it's Barney who is traded away).

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Most of Castro's errors are throwing errors, third base is the last place I'd want somebody with throwing problems

#11 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Jeter had defensive issues when he was younger.  I think we are best letting him work those things out and keeping his bat there.  He has improved, and he'll continue to get better.  I think most every MLB team would be happy to deal with his defensive woes in order to get his bat at SS.

- diehard fanclub member #002

#12 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Castro's bat would go from being above average at SS to below average at 3B, which pretty much kills a lot of the value that he has especially if his defensive woes continue at 3B. Granted his bat would be 100 times better than what the Cubs are currently rolling with at 3B, but it just doesnt make much sense to me to make this move, I think the best way to maximize the value would be to trade Barney when Watkins is ready. Take advantage of anyone who wants to buy the "gold-glove hype", might be a little more difficult the way he is hitting but worth a shot IMO

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Castro's bat would go from being above average at SS to below average at 3B, which pretty much kills a lot of the value that he has especially if his defensive woes continue at 3B. Granted his bat would be 100 times better than what the Cubs are currently rolling with at 3B, but it just doesnt make much sense to me to make this move, I think the best way to maximize the value would be to trade Barney when Watkins is ready. Take advantage of anyone who wants to buy the "gold-glove hype", might be a little more difficult the way he is hitting but worth a shot IMO

Castro's bat is much better than average at SS. He is 7th in wRC+ 102 since being called up from AA in 2010. However, I do agree that his bat would be below average at 3B.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Building on what Luke said,  Watkins is the only OBP guy out of those 3.  If Watkins shows an average 2B bat with average defense I'd rather see him replace Barney because that will help out the offense more then it would hurt the defense.  On a side note, 3rd base around the majors seems to have taken a step backing in the hitting department this year (need to check the numbers on that) so a weaker bat might play closer to average there then in the past.

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

Castro's career wRC+ would put him at 21st on the 3B list since 2010 with Pedro Alvarez of the Pirates at 20th.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).