#16 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Castro's career wRC+ would put him at 21st on the 3B list since 2010 with Pedro Alvarez of the Pirates at 20th.

Looking at the list 4 or 5 of the players ahead of him are currently injured or retired.  So 3rd base has taken a step back so far this year compared to past years.  But your right Castro would likely be slightly below league average at 3rd base still.

#17 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'd like to see Barney moved to SS for a different reason. While Castro will likely be with us for years to come, his bat profiles to be of value virtually anywhere. However, Barney's offensive skills are limited. A move to SS  would significantly raise his WAR, and more importantly, trade value.

#18 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

I'd like to see Barney moved to SS for a different reason. While Castro will likely be with us for years to come, his bat profiles to be of value virtually anywhere. However, Barney's offensive skills are limited. A move to SS  would significantly raise his WAR, and more importantly, trade value.

Castro's bat plays so well because he's at SS. It wouldn't be nearly as good anywhere else sans CF. In a good line-up, as Sveum recently mentioned, he would be batting in the bottom half of the line-up. As a third bagger his bat would be right about average.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#19 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

Most of Castro's errors are throwing errors, third base is the last place I'd want somebody with throwing problems

Exactly.

#20 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

This may be a terrible idea, but has the idea of moving Castro to 3rd and Barney to short (where his bat might play better, no?), if Logan Watkins makes the jump to the majors been considered? (assuming, of course, that Baez is either not ready or does not pan out)

Not a horrible idea.  I know we have discussed this topic before, but a part of me really thinks the organization should consider this.  I am hoping against hope that they won't push Baez too far too fast, this might be a solid #2 option.  I have said before that I like Watkins, it would bring some sort of answer to the gigantic elephant in the room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).