Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

I apologize for some of the font issues, but copying from the print formatting causes problems...(again...just another reason to buy the real thing)

So I was driving into work today, and the Score guys were talking to former Cubs' G.M. Dallas Green(who has a new book out himself)...and there were about 3 or 4 times when I wanted to scream throuh the radio and say "Mr. Green! That's just what I wrote about in my book!"...oh well, maybe enough Cubs' fans will get to hear it from me, and maybe Mr. Green will even read it one day(unless he heard me through the radio this morning)

this is Reason 99 and it comes from the final chapter: Blunders: Historical, Philosophical and Just Plain Stupid.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks again to all those who have purchased.

GREEN GOES TOO SOON

Even in the technologically advanced world of 2013, I look forward to getting a pocket schedule for the upcoming Cubs’ season.  In a world where the Cubs’ schedule can be pulled up on Cubs.com, MLB.com, or ESPN.com, there is something comforting about having that little schedule in my wallet.  I will never forget the first time I saw the 1982 version of the Cubs’ pocket schedule.

I was in my freshman science class and a kid whose dad had season tickets was looking at one of the schedules.  The exciting element of the 1982 schedule was the phrase, “Building a New Tradition” which was written in green just below the Cubs’ logo.  Observing this schedule enhanced the feeling of anticipation that I held for the upcoming season.  “Building a New Tradition” was the slogan put in place by the Cubs’ incoming Executive Vice-President and General Manager Dallas Green. (Hence the green writing on the cover.)  In 1982, Dallas Green was Theo Epstein…just 39 years prior. 

Green was the field manager of the 1980 World Champion Philadelphia Phillies.  The Tribune Company hired Green away in its first bold move of ownership.  Green quickly exerted his influence by raiding the Phillies’ coaching staffs and scouting departments, including hiring Lee Elia as his first Cubs’ manager. Elia is famous in Cubs’ lore for his profanity-laced tirade regarding Wrigley fans after a loss.  If you have never heard Elia’s rant, it does warrant a listen…just make sure there are no youngsters within a one mile radius.

The Cubs struggled in both 1982 and 1983; then Green hired Jim Frey to manage in 1984.  Frey had managed the Royals against Green’s Phillies in the 1980 World Series.  By the beginning of 1984, Green had placed his stamp on the Cubs’ improved line-up and he continued to make deals as the team showed signs of contention.  The Chicago Cubs would finish 96-65 and come one win away from representing the National League in the 1984 World Series. Here is a look at key players from the 1984 Cubs, and what Dallas Green gave up in order to acquire them:

1984 CHICAGO CUBS                                                       Acquired for…       

1984 NL MVP Ryne Sandberg                                       Ivan DeJesus

1984 CY YOUNG Rick Sutcliffe                                     Mel Hall & Joe Carter

LF-Gary Mathews                                                             Bill Campbell & Mike Diaz

CF-Bob Dernier                                                                  Bill Campbell & Mike Diaz

RF-Keith Moreland                                                           Mike Krukow & Cash

3B-Ron Cey                                                                         Dan Cataline & Vance Lovelace

SS-Larry Bowa                                                                    Ivan DeJesus

SP-Steve Trout (with Warren Brusstar)                    Scott Fletcher, Pat Tabler, Dick 

Tidrow and Randy Martz

SP-Scott Sanderson                                                          Craig Lefferts and Carmelo

Martinez

SP-Dennis Eckersley                                                        Bill Buckner

In his third year with the Cubs, Green had built a contending team, had the Cubs on the threshold of history, and gave up marginal players in most cases.  The trading of Joe Carter was the only loss of this group but without the addition of Sutcliffe, the 1984 Cubs probably don’t win the division. 

Green may have been a victim of his own success; the Cubs weren’t supposed to win that fast.  After the Cubs suffered through three straight (’85-’87) losing seasons, Dallas Green resigned his post in the fall of 1987. Green and the Tribune Company cited the proverbial “philosophical differences” to explain Green’s departure.  Green’s impact on the Cubs was far from finished.

After not making the postseason for 39 years, the Cubs won a second National League Eastern Division title in 1989… just five seasons after 1984.  Jim Frey was (technically) the General Manager of the 1989 team, but let’s look at how the 1989 team was built:

KEY PLAYER FOR ’89 CUBS             HOW AND BY WHOM PLAYER WAS ACQUIRED

Ryne Sandberg                                    acquired by GREEN via trade

Rick Sutcliffe                                      acquired by GREEN via trade

Andre Dawson                                           signed by GREEN as a free-agent

Greg Maddux                                             drafted under GREEN’s tenure

Mark Grace                                                 drafted under GREEN’S tenure

Jerome Walton                                          drafted under GREEN’s tenure

Dwight Smith                                             drafted under GREEN’s tenure

Shawon Dunston                                       drafted under GREEN’s tenure

Scott Sanderson                                        acquired by GREEN via trade

Les Lancaster                                              signed as amateur free agent under GREEN

Damon Berryhill                                        drafted under GREEN’S tenure

The only significant players from the 1989 team acquired by Jim Frey were pitchers Mike Bielecki and Mitch Williams.  Frey had to acquire Williams as a closer to make up for his dreadful trade of Lee Smith and the subsequent signing of Goose Gossage.  The players Frey traded for Williams?…Rafael Palmeiro and Jamie Moyer…both drafted under Green.

The 1989 Cubs were still Dallas Green’s team.  Anyone who says otherwise does not understand baseball…or is related to Jim Frey.

Dallas Green’s impression on the Cubs surpassed the teams he placed on the field.  When Green became GM of the Cubs, he was the first in his position to openly state the Cubs needed lights at Wrigley Field.  The subject of lights at Wrigley was a taboo topic that Green challenged.  Green changed the debate from “lights or no lights” to “Cubs in Chicago or Cubs in the Chicago Suburbs”. Green famously said, “If there are no lights, there will be no Wrigley Field.” (Baseballlibrary.com)  Green had completely altered much of the fan base’s perception, and by August of 1988, Wrigley Field held its first ever night game.

Dallas Green’s Cubs’ tenure includes another disregarded attribute.  The image has persisted throughout the 1990s and 2000s that Wrigley Field is just a beer garden…where baseball happens to be played.  The theory is, just open Wrigley’s doors and people will flock there no matter how bad the Cubs are. Here is an interesting fact that often goes unnoticed:

1981  ATTENDENCE                                  AVERAGE                             LEAGUE RANK

Chicago Cubs                                              9,752                                     11th of 12

No, that number is not a misprint…in 1981, the year before Green’s arrival, the Cubs averaged less than 10,000 fans per game.  It may have been a beer garden in 1981 at Clark and Addison…but it was an empty one.

In my humble opinion had Dallas Green stayed with the Cubs, the probability of a World Series title would have been significantly enhanced.  In five years Green built two play-off teams, helped lure the Cubs and their fans out of the dark ages (awful, awful pun) and transformed Wrigley and the Cubs into the amazing, money-making machine they have been for the better part of the last three decades…long after Green’s departure.

The incredible feat that was the 1984 Cubs harmed Green in the end.  Coming close to the World Series may have hastened the impatience of Green’s superiors at the Tribune Company. After the success of 1984, the Cubs were besieged by injuries in 1985 and 1986. Green deserved a better fate with the team, and the Cubs’ players, management, and ownership since do not realize the debt they owe to this man.

Reason 99 is the premature departure of Dallas Green from the front offices of the Chicago Cubs.  Green’s tenure may have been short, but the imprints he made on the franchise positively altered Cubs’ history.

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

I really had no idea how badly Jim Frey wrecked the Cubs.  Not only were they mostly bad under his regime, they squandered the talent that was already there without bringing anything decent into the organization. 

Nicely done Chris, great read as always. 

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

Great stuff! 

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

So, do you want to forward this to Kyle or should I?

Excellent work Chris, I cannot wait to get this book!

#5 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

When Dallas Green left, it was a sad day indeed. 

That was a really great write-up, Chris.  Thanks man.

- diehard fanclub member #002

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

Chris I can't wait to spend some time this weekend reading on my Kindle, for me Green leaving is the reason why the Cubs fell out of the modern era.  While teams like the Yankees were simultaneously their farm, righting there ship, and preparing to start another dynasty the Cubs just put the breaks on and returned to utter organizational chaos.  After 89 it was just bad drafting, bad FA contracts, bad trades, and bad organizational design.  Hendry had a few great moments and made a great trade in 2003 but again the total organization was in mass hysteria and although we pulled together a couple playoff seasons there was no organizational vision and today we see where that got us.  I hope and believe that Theo is here for 10+ years so that his model is given the time needed to recover the team and organization into a regular contender.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

I got 99 problems but Green ain't one.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

SP-Steve Trout (with Warren Brusstar)                    Scott Fletcher, Pat Tabler, Dick 

Tidrow and Randy Martz

This trade was obviously his undoing. Cubs easily win 84 world series with Tidrow on the roster.

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Tidrow and Randy Martz

This trade was obviously his undoing. Cubs easily win 84 world series with Tidrow on the roster.

Damn straight.

And considering the massacring that Trout did to Take Me Out To The Ball Game yesterday, I'll lay the eventual defeat of the '84 team squarely at his feet.

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

FACT: Green traded Tidrow because he felt threatened by the possibility of Tidrow taking his job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).