I was reading Luke's minor league post today and it got me thinking a few things:
1. This FO has said they were going to build our farm system from the bottom up, and it seems that things are going well from that perspective.
2. Luke's article pointed out how we may be looking at 3 first place teams this year: Low A, High A, AA
Reflecting on just how bad our minor league system was just 2 years ago, I'd say that this is a great indicator of just how tremendous of a job they've done doing exactly what they said they were going to do. As someone who lives in the Peoria area, I was able to attend some Low A games in the past on occasion, and can speak firsthand on just how unimpressive they were in person for the last few years. Not to mention, there were not many names worthy of going to see (there were occasional exceptions, of course. (i.e. Baez, Golden).
So in two years time, it seems that the FO has done exactly what they set out to do: revamp the farm system. Kane County (without Almora, so far), Daytona, and Tennessee all look like strong contenders. This leads me to a few questions:
1. Can we expect our short season A ball club (Boise) to perform, as well?
2. What can we expect out of Rookie ball in Arizona, and who exactly is going to be on this team?
This brings me to the question I was really getting to:
3. What is the purpose of the the AAA club?
a. Do we use the AA team as the last stop in many cases for our soon to be major league ready players and use the AAA club as a spot to stash aging minor leaguers and guys with some ML service time (this is what it seems to be right now).
b. Is the AAA club used for utility players and 'backup' type players, and not so much up and coming prospects?
I guess I ask this because I always assumed AAA was the last stop for top prospects, but clearly I am far from an expert on minor league baseball (or anything else for that matter). Just curious if the answer to this question varies by ML team, or if it's consistently used the same way by everyone. Is this something our FO does differently? What can we expect in the future from our Iowa team?