14 replies to this topic

#1 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

The Royals are in win now mode and I know they have lost some prospects. But their system still has some interesting players and most importantly their #34 draft pick is trade able.

The Cubs trade Garza, DeJesus and Barney to the Royals.

They would get back SP Yordano Ventura,LHP Sam Selman, 3B Chelsor Cuthbert, C Cameron Gallagher and the Royals #34 pick in the draft this year.

#2 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

#1. The return should be better than that.

#2. You can't trade for draft picks. That's NBA.

#3. The Royals don't need Barney. They have Giovatella and Getz.

#4. Carlos Villanueva (has an extra year, not just a rental) looks more attractive than Garza.

Villanueva, DeJesus or Schierholtz, and Valbuena (if Moustakas is still struggling) for:

RHSP Kyle Zimmer #1

LHSP Will Smith

C Cam Gallagher #14

3B Mike Moustakas, then traded to San Diego w/Kyle Zimmer and Will Smith for Chase Headley.

#3 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

#1. The return should be better than that.
#2. You can't trade for draft picks. That's NBA.
#3. The Royals don't need Barney. They have Giovatella and Getz.
#4. Carlos Villanueva (has an extra year, not just a rental) looks more attractive than Garza.

Villanueva, DeJesus or Schierholtz, and Valbuena (if Moustakas is still struggling) for:

RHSP Kyle Zimmer #1
LHSP Will Smith
C Cam Gallagher #14
3B Mike Moustakas, then traded to San Diego w/Kyle Zimmer and Will Smith for Chase Headley.

1) the 3 players do not have the trade value believe. Garza has the value of 2 good not great prospects maybe. Barney and DeJesus combined 2 good and 1 mediocre prospect. So the return is about right.
2) you can trade Competitive round A picks which is what the #34 pick is. Read the new CBA I have its a little boring though.

3) I know for a fact the Royals are still looking for an everyday 2B and they love is versatility.

4)Villanueva doesn't have Garza's playoff record that the Royals are looking for.

That about covers it.

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

I don't even the Royals would be desperate to ever make that trade.  That makes the fleecing they got at the hands of Tampa look positively pedestrian unless they had Headley locked up to long term, fairly cheap extension as a condition of the deal.  And even then it's a very bad trade for KC.

#5 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

I don't even the Royals would be desperate to ever make that trade.  That makes the fleecing they got at the hands of Tampa look positively pedestrian unless they had Headley locked up to long term, fairly cheap extension as a condition of the deal.  And even then it's a very bad trade for KC.

There is not way the Royals trade Moustakas. They waited on Gordon for how long?

#6 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

The Royals are in it to win it this year. I'm sure there won't be a blockbuster trade, but a trade to fit their needs, would be upgrades from Mendoza and Gutierrez because they get shelled every time they take the mound (not to mention Smith's shelling his first game out). Collins is getting hit hard, too.

Feldman or Villanueva to replace Mendoza in the rotation, Mendoza to bullpen.

DeJesus to start in RF, Francoeur vs. LHP

Cubs get:

RHP Louis Coleman [AAA]

RHP Yordano Ventura (#3) [AA]

C Cam Gallagher (#13) [A]

If they want Barney, they can give us their #34 pick in the draft, then + PTBNL.

I'd like to find a way to get Kyle Zimmer, although I think Ventura would be a guy that could help us in the near future that could have success in multiple pitching roles.

#7 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

The Royals are in it to win it this year. I'm sure there won't be a blockbuster trade, but a trade to fit their needs, would be upgrades from Mendoza and Gutierrez because they get shelled every time they take the mound (not to mention Smith's shelling his first game out). Collins is getting hit hard, too.

Cubs get:
RHP Louis Coleman [AAA]

If they want Barney, they can give us their #34 pick in the draft, then + PTBNL.

I'd like to find a way to get Kyle Zimmer, although I think Ventura would be a guy that could help us in the near future that could have success in multiple pitching roles.

I think you are underestimating how much that 34th pick word help the Cubs during this draft. It as to be included in any trade with the royals.

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

If our bullpen's still a clusterfuck by then they got some pretty good bullpen arms that could help out immediately this season

#9 KCubsfan

KCubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Cubs get:
RHP Louis Coleman [AAA]

I think you are underestimating how much that 34th pick word help the Cubs during this draft. It as to be included in any trade with the royals.

Coleman would be Bullpen help.

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

If you trade a compensatory pick does that include the slotted money?

#11 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

If you trade a compensatory pick does that include the slotted money?

Yes

#12 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

I dont see the Royals giving up ZImmer (#2) or Ventura (#4) for a platoon OF and a rental SP

#13 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Think about that in terms of what the Cubs' #4 prospect is... Brett Jackson. Villanueva and DeJesus both have another year on their contracts. That's $11.65M dedicated to their payroll next year. Feldman, who has been pitching better, may look more attractive because he is a rental... and may accept an extension if he likes it there before he hits free agency. Kevin Gregg, whom I'm guessing Randy was referring to, by way of bullpen charlie foxtrot.

DeJesus

Villanueva

Gregg

...those would fit very well in Kansas City. If they're concerned about payroll, I think Schierholtz and Feldman, who'd definitely be rentals, would bring us back close to the same return, while expanding their (KC's) payroll slightly. 

#14 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

It would be nice.  I am betting both Schier and Feld are going to be gone by the halfway point, since that was point of signing them.  I wouldn't mind getting a good return from the Royals, since they have a decent minor league system.  We need arms arms arms, will we get good ones from KC? Not sure, since I am not really familiar with their farm system.  What do you think Luke?

#15 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Depends on how desperate the Royals get.  If overpay as badly as they did when landing Sheilds from Tampa, the Cubs could stand to do quite well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).