#1 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

A recent aerial photo.  Looking northeast.  Hohokam is about 2.5 miles to the east (right).

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

I love that they are putting the wells in there and you can already see them in the photo. Are they on schedule for Spring Training still? looks a bit rough still. My family would love to go visit next spring. incoherent thoughts one right after the other makes for tough reading. I like plums.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

They say they are on schedule.  Originally they were hoping to play the Fall League games there this year, but that's out now.  There won't be a lot of supporting "Wrigleyville" shops, bars, or restaurants this spring though.  A hotel won't be on site until at least 2015.

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

They say they are on schedule.  Originally they were hoping to play the Fall League games there this year, but that's out now.  There won't be a lot of supporting "Wrigleyville" shops, bars, or restaurants this spring though.  A hotel won't be on site until at least 2015.

Maybe I'll give it an extra year before we make the journey then.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Jeeeez... looks like that project could have used a landscape architect.

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Or, a gardener. ::ducks and runs::

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Supposedly they saved about 150 trees (IIRC) from the golf course they leveled. I don't know how many of those survived, but they are supposed to begin transplanting them back in the fall.

That water treatment plant detracts from the landscape/scenery some!

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Supposedly they saved about 150 trees (IIRC) from the golf course they leveled. I don't know how many of those survived, but they are supposed to begin transplanting them back in the fall.

Oh, I'm sure.  I believe that, and I fully expect a high level of success from those transplants.  It's pretty easy to do these days.  We've boxed and stored trees for future replanting that had soil boxes 10' square by 4' deep.  It's pretty amazing.

Mostly I'm just objecting to the staid wasteland of that desert landscape.  

But what do I know?  I live on the ocean, where the moderate temperatures are only eclipsed by the oft-foggy air.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Don't forget about fridged summer nights. There are plenty of those as well. It is purty though.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Oh, I'm sure.  I believe that, and I fully expect a high level of success from those transplants.  It's pretty easy to do these days.  We've boxed and stored trees for future replanting that had soil boxes 10' square by 4' deep.  It's pretty amazing.

Mostly I'm just objecting to the staid wasteland of that desert landscape.  

But what do I know?  I live on the ocean, where the moderate temperatures are only eclipsed by the oft-foggy air.

#11 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

shit...

TWC,

The scenery can really be awesome though, as I'm sure you know.  I fell in love with it when I used to visit here every spring (training).  I wish they would have selected the site in Mesa way out east that they were looking at.  A much more pure desert location if you know what I mean... with incredible mountain views.  But I'm sure the spot they picked will be made to look really nice - it's just way more congested (two interstates bounder it to the north and west) - a nearby shopping area and an airport. 

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Or, a gardener. ::ducks and runs::

You mean Professional Rock Movement Engineer.

#13 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

shit...

TWC,

The scenery can really be awesome though, as I'm sure you know.  I fell in love with it when I used to visit here every spring (training).  I wish they would have selected the site in Mesa way out east that they were looking at.  A much more pure desert location if you know what I mean... with incredible mountain views.  But I'm sure the spot they picked will be made to look really nice - it's just way more congested (two interstates bounder it to the north and west) - a nearby shopping area and an airport. 

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I love the desert.  Up until a few years back, we'd make an annual trip.  Catch a few games in Mesa, then head down to Saguaro, or Organ Pipe, or up north to Sunset Crater, or the Indian name that I cannot remember right now, the Grand Canyon.  I think the desert is remarkably beautiful at all times of the year.

The urban Phoenix area, however, is very, very ugly.  And that (construction zone) picture doesn't do it any favors.

#14 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

Meant to ask, Spriggs: where did you get this photo? Is it yours? and if so, can I share it?

#15 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

I have another question for Spriggs?   Did you hear anything about the Josh Conway injury?  I read that he may have done some serious damage because of crappy mound conditions, do you know if it happened at the Cubs facility or not? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).