TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

North Coast is in Fort Bragg, which is up on Mendocino County -- about 3 hours north of SF.

Oops, I thought the bar I was at was a brew pub. It must have been a tap room for them. None the less, it was outstanding.

Oh, it is indeed.

Oh, and it is Upland not Uptown. It is named after the area which geologists call the Norman and Crawford Uplands. Unlike most of Indiana, the Uplands were not overrun with glaciers. Left unchanged, the topography is much like southern California with hollows and heavily wooded areas.

:arches eyebrow::

#17 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Grand Rapids WINS  Kalamazoo in 2nd Place 

Michigan Beer Represented

http://www.freep.com...s-beer-city-usa

Enjoy a Michigan Beer tonight everybody

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#18 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

hahahhaa yes!

RE: San Diego - It's way larger than Grand Rapids (the city limits of SD has a higher pop than the entire GR metro area) so I'm not surprised it has MORE breweries, but I never heard anybody in NYC go hard in the paint for San Diego beers like they did for Founders Breakfast Stout.  Quality over quantity and I'm pretty sure GR has more breweries per capita

#19 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Oh mitten its not for Founders Breakfast Stout it's for Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout... Canada did not allow their name). And it is amazing and was worth the 8 hours I waited, still have two bottles :)

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#20 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Are you sure you're not talking about the Kentucky Breakfast Stout?

#21 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

no CBS was released in 2011 during Art Prize and people all over the US were coming to get CBS - Beer Advocate had a whole thread dedicated to where to stay and people started waiting in line 24 hrs before the release. KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout - again Kentucky being a bitch) is done yearly and although the release is a major deal it was nothing compared to the CBS release.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#22 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Trust me I know my Founders Breakfast Stouts

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#23 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

yeah one of my former roommates worked at a liquor store in NJ and the owner bought an entire keg of KBS for his own personal enjoyment

#24 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Did you know they're banned in New Hampshire and a couple european countries for having a child on the bottle?

#25 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

no CBS was released in 2011 during Art Prize and people all over the US were coming to get CBS - Beer Advocate had a whole thread dedicated to where to stay and people started waiting in line 24 hrs before the release. KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout - again Kentucky being a bitch) is done yearly and although the release is a major deal it was nothing compared to the CBS release.

This sort of beer-insanity really makes my eyes roll.  Same thing when Russian River annually drops their pony kegs of Pliny The Younger.  People standing in line for 36 hours just to fill their growler.  Like, it's a good beer, right?  But to spend an entire fucking ay standing in line for a beer or 4?  It's just stupid.  Sorry.  But it's dumb.  There are SO FUCKING MANY good beers in this county: MI, CA, OR, Chicago, Upstate NY; fuckit, man, across the world.  But you're going to stand in line all day for a pint or two of *that* beer?  Really?

#26 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

It'd make a bit more sense to me if it was a bourbon or somesuch.  At least it's not a "drink all now or lose it all tomorrow" sort of thing.  But your growler ain't gonna keep, pal, and you just wasted a day and a half waiting for them to fill it.

#27 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

This sort of beer-insanity really makes my eyes roll.  Same thing when Russian River annually drops their pony kegs of Pliny The Younger.  People standing in line for 36 hours just to fill their growler.  Like, it's a good beer, right?  But to spend an entire fucking ay standing in line for a beer or 4?  It's just stupid.  Sorry.  But it's dumb.  There are SO FUCKING MANY good beers in this county: MI, CA, OR, Chicago, Upstate NY; fuckit, man, across the world.  But you're going to stand in line all day for a pint or two of *that* beer?  Really?

I thought the same thing and won't do it for regular releases or travel out of town to do it but CBS is only released every couple of years and since I live in GR it sounded like fun experience.  And it was very enjoyable, we drank beer in line with good people and the day went by quicker than I thought.  I bought 10 bottles of CBS (there was a two per person limit so I brought four people that don't really enjoy beer) and I'd do it again when it is released next.  It really is an amazing brew and worth the story and it was an amazing date with the now mother of my child so as with anything great its got a great story behind it.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#28 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Plus I heard the evening party had a mandolin and banjo group that was playing all night... so you'd enjoy that.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#29 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I thought the same thing and won't do it for regular releases or travel out of town to do it but CBS is only released every couple of years and since I live in GR it sounded like fun experience.  And it was very enjoyable, we drank beer in line with good people and the day went by quicker than I thought.  I bought 10 bottles of CBS (there was a two per person limit so I brought four people that don't really enjoy beer) and I'd do it again when it is released next.  It really is an amazing brew and worth the story and it was an amazing date with the now mother of my child so as with anything great its got a great story behind it.

It's bottled?

Well, that's a bit different.  Esp. if it's a strong stout, those'll keep for a while.  Special occasions and the like.  But these cats that stay in line for ever to fill up a growler or two?  Insane.

#30 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

It's bottled?

Well, that's a bit different.  Esp. if it's a strong stout, those'll keep for a while.  Special occasions and the like.  But these cats that stay in line for ever to fill up a growler or two?  Insane.
Yes bottled if never stand in line for hours for a growler fill that is insane

MichiganGoat on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).