MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

i really think that the only position players of worth are Pujols, Fielder and Cano, so we are probably not going to see a lineup too different from this year. However we can improve greatly the 3,4,5 starters in the rotation. Wilson, Jackson, Carpenter, and Buehrle should all get serious looks from the new GM.

Cano has a club option for 2012 & 2013 for 12/14M he's not going anywhere

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#17 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

How about this:
This is more of a realistic type of lineup
1B - Fielder
2B - Baker/Barney
SS - Castro
3B - Betemit
LF - ??? maybe Dewitt just as long as its not Soriano
CF - Byrd
RF - Colvin
C - Soto

SP - Garza, Wilson, Dempster, Maholm, Wells

man, i gotta say, all of these lineups depress the shit out of me. they would not be in any dreams that i would have, unless they were nightmares. i think its a good lineup given what's out there and what the cubs have to work with but...still not going to wake up sticky from this dream.
i know pickins are slim but, i would rather field all minor leaguers than pay out the nose for this lineup... personally.

goats lineup vs. 2011 lineup
- 35 homers less, 40 less RBI... +/-
-even with fonzie's defensive suckage removed from left, we are defnsively worse just becasue of the shear number of plays at first.
-obp about the same, our team batting average is way worse, but who cares,? not billy beane
-our pitching is better, although remember, z doesnt suck, he's just a lunatic. maholm is not better than z in my mind, especially since his recent decline.
-we overpay and give out more money over more years due to thin free agent class thereby repeating mistakes of the past with fonzie, demp, aram, bradley, etc.

and this is in no way a knock on you goat, its one of the best lineups one could reasonably put together.

wow, this really bummed me out. i know we have to field a team next year, but im not excited about any of these 4 free agent aquisitions. none of them do anything for me. see my well known dislike of and lack of belief in fatty fielder.

I agree that lineup is very depressing, and I forgot about Jackson (but I don't count on him). I'm prepared for next year to look worse on paper but a new GM, new manager, and healthier rotation may result in more wins than the deadass team we currently have. All I look for next year is a purge of the lifeless veterans and an increase in energy and fundamental baseball. There are some type B free agents that could strengthen this team and hopefully a few trades, but as it looks right now we have more ifs than we did last year.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#18 Os Ursinhos

Os Ursinhos

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

Didn´t know about Cano´s options. So that just proves the point that the best way to improve the team is through signing at least 2 maybe 3 starting pitchers this year.

#19 dreese

dreese

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDekalb/Arlington Heights

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'll play...

1B Fielder
2B Barney/DeWitt
SS Fidel
3B LeMahieu
RF Colvin
CF Jackson
LF Byrd
C Soto

I think I want Ramirez at third next year, but I get the feeling he's good as gone. Nothing to back that up other than gut.

SP: Garza, Demp, Cashner, Wells, Maholm

BP: Shark, Wood, Marmol, Marshall, Carpenter, Russell, Random Dick none of us see at this point.

Castro?

#20 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

I'll play...

1B Fielder
2B Barney/DeWitt
SS Fidel
3B LeMahieu
RF Colvin
CF Jackson
LF Byrd
C Soto

I think I want Ramirez at third next year, but I get the feeling he's good as gone. Nothing to back that up other than gut.

SP: Garza, Demp, Cashner, Wells, Maholm

BP: Shark, Wood, Marmol, Marshall, Carpenter, Russell, Random Dick none of us see at this point.

Castro?

Ha...yep. Or did you mean where is he? He's on there.

#21 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

C - Doumit (Pittsburgh FA)
1B - Fielder or LaHair (if we don't get Fielder)
2B - Barney
3B - Ramirez
SS - Castro
LF - Colvin
CF - B. Jackson
RF - Ethier (2013 FA + Dodgers in shambles = trade)

SP - Garza, Dempster, Wells, CJ Wilson, Cashner, maybe AJ Burnett (Big Z trade)
Closer - Heath Bell

Traded - Zambrano, Soriano, Soto, Byrd, Marmol

#22 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

C - Doumit (Pittsburgh FA)
1B - Fielder or LaHair (if we don't get Fielder)
2B - Barney
3B - Ramirez
SS - Castro
LF - Colvin
CF - B. Jackson
RF - Ethier (2013 FA + Dodgers in shambles = trade)

SP - Garza, Dempster, Wells, CJ Wilson, Cashner, maybe AJ Burnett (Big Z trade)
Closer - Heath Bell

Traded - Zambrano, Soriano, Soto, Byrd, Marmol

EQ you're looking at a lot of if's there. I don't think the Dodgers are going to be eager to trade Ethier, especially if the sale goes through. He's a young building block and I don't see the resources in the Cubs system to make a deal like that happen. I also couldn't see the team signing the three biggest players at their position on the free agent market. You're looking at a bigger spending spree than the one that brought us Soriano, Lilly, and Marquis. Wilson is going to get 100 million, Fielder will be far north of that, and Bell is the premier closer on the market (yes, better than Papelbon). On top of that Bell will cost whoever signs him two draft picks, something I don't think the Cubs are willing to do to replace a position they have already invested in. I would love to watch that team next year, but I don't see it being realistic. (Doumit, seriously????)

#23 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Not to nitpick, Jeff, but Ethier turns 30 in April. I think he's exactly the kind of guy the Dodgers will be looking to trade.

#24 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

Not to nitpick, Jeff, but Ethier turns 30 in April. I think he's exactly the kind of guy the Dodgers will be looking to trade.

You're right, I got my Dodgers outfielder crossed up. I still am not sure we need the head case that comes with Ethier though.

#25 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

Jeff, 2 things.. first - the title of this thread is "Opening Day Dreams" which gives me liberty to .. well.. dream right? This wasn't meant to be my honest prediction, but in my opinion and a somewhat possible dream.. I don't believe this is a crazy thought, but a possibility... ??? heck yeah.

Second, to confirm Brett's comment and your rebuttle, absolutely the Dodgers could and probably should trade Ethier.. he's the type of hitter that may only require a couple of players in return, which we can do, especially with our glut of 2B's and bullpen type guys. As or Doumit, well he's a FA and I believe a switch hitter and maybe better overall hitter than Soto has been lately.

The thing is, we don't know what the real game-plan is for next year. I believe the Cubs will not be in full rebuild mode, but rather re-tool mode. Defense, situational hitting, guys who know how to get on base and starting pitching is a need for us and we will have money to spend which makes a CJ Wilson at least a possibility. For the record I believe it's either Fielder or CJ Wilson they go after, not both... so I don't believe they're going to spend 100+ mil this off season.. which is why I put LaHair on there too.

I implied that the Cubs will dump Soriano in some sort of "we'll pay most his salary please take him" move.. and that Big Z very well could go to the Yanks for Burnett in a crappy contract swap... and that by trading Soto, Byrd and Marmol we would indeed free up more money (15 mil +) and get decent return back in a trade.. hence the ability to land a Ethier type of name and a lot off the books to easily land CJ Wilson.

Lastly, I believe there's no way the Cubs field both Colvin and Brett Jackson in the OF next year without a solid, producing vet taking up the 3rd spot and a guy like Reed Johnson on the bench as a 4th OF.

Sorry for the novel, but I don't think my "dream" prediction should be viewed as crazy nor should it be nitpicked since it is in fact a "dream"..

#26 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

Let me restructure this so Jeff's panties don't get in a wad..

Next year we'll have roughly 50 mil coming off the books (Silva, A Ram, Grabow, Fuke, that ND wide out..etc)

Assuming that we trade Soriano and pay 13 of the 18 mil owed... we gain 5 mil..

Assuming that the Z trade is a wash for maybe Burnett...
Assuming that moving Marmol, Byrd and Soto we can save in the neighborhood of 15 mil.. that takes our total to 70 mil off the books..

If we pick up A Ram that's 16 mil of it.. (If I remember correctly) taking that total down to 54 mil.

I don't believe the Cubs are interested in filling up the 54 mil, but rather in making smart deals. even if it leaves 20 + mil in unspent money...

Sign Doumit, he's a better hitter than Soto & we need fewer .240 hitters and more .280-.300 hitters.. (2 years/12 mil) now you're down to 48 mil. left.

Use the Byrd & Soto & Marmol deal(s) to pull some sort of 3 - way trade to land a guy like Ethier.. probably a financial wash or in our advantage..

Choose between Fielder and CJ Wilson and try to sign one of them, not both, for a fair price. no more than 15 mil for Wilson or 25 mil for Fielder (per year). Say it's Wilson - 15 mil per.. that takes the 48 mil available down to 33 mil.

You should have money available to sign Heath Bell, say 6-8 mil per year?? that leaves 25-27 mil un-spent...

that's how you retool without rebuilding and not over spend. and Jeff, that's not that un-realistic..

#27 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Picking on a small piece (I know this is the "dream" thread, but) ... Heath Bell ain't coming. He'll stay in San Diego even if it means half the money.

#28 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

well to be fair, I used to live out there and I completely understand.. San Diego may be the single best city (for good weather) in our nation.

#29 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

well to be fair, I used to live out there and I completely understand.. San Diego may be the single best city (for good weather) in our nation.

And for fish tacos.

And, as much as it pains me living in Northern California, they have an awful lot of impeccable breweries in that county.

#30 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

If the wife agreed, I would move to San Diego in a heartbeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).